Dip the rope

andygc

Visit site
I am wrong on this so I stand corrected. Yet in 30 years I never had any issues with multiple lines on bollards.
Good of you to come back to say that. I have occasionally had a problem, but I'd accept that it's not an everyday occurrence. There are far more ways of trapping other people's lines which seem to be in much more frequent use - like dropping a few turns on a cleat on top of the eye of a line already there and then using the tail as a spring. But whatever method is used to strap you to the berth there's still no justification for people here to threaten using a knife. I find a polite conversation usually works.

Shakemeister

Visit site
I just think this whole thread is ludicrous. If we were in the pub having a beer the whole conversation would be totally different.

I've had badly tied lines trap my lines in the past. It's an embuggerance to sort it out.

What's so wrong with spending five seconds, literally, five seconds to dip an eye?

This call sign is out.

Visit site
This thread has been enlightening, educational but at times, depressing.

Maybe I should state my vast experience-
Sailing: Zero, absolutely zilch
Internet forums: slightly more than that.

I came here to learn and I have learned how to dip the eye. I get it. I got it on page 1.
I also get not dipping the eye and passing loops through other loops and the possible effects of tension. I got that a few pages on. I also see the sense of slipping knots etc.
Thanks for that guys.

What I will never understand is why old blokes who start posts by stating their vast and overwhelming knowledge and experiences of male-dominated professions, go on to fall for the most basic of wind-ups. Don't they do banter in the Navy?
This is an internet forum, NOT the Navy. It may be about sailing, but it's not sailing; it's writing and (not compulsory, clearly) reading.

Let me teach you something in return:
If you explain something very clearly indeed so that a 4 year old could get it, job done. If then someone says it's nonsense and he can't understand it, just leave it. He's winding you up. To respond is naivety on the same level as being sent to the stores for a glass hammer and a bucket of steam. It was called "feeding the Trolls" in the old days. Or was it "Dipping the Trolls"?

Conclusion: You learn the techniques then use whichever suits the situation/conditions/your preferences at the time. Am I close?

l'escargot

Visit site
...I've had badly tied lines trap my lines in the past. It's hardly an embuggerance to sort it out.

What's so wrong with spending five seconds, literally...

There, sorted that for you ;)

I have had all sorts of lines put over mine over the years and it's never taken me more than a few seconds to sort them out. It has never ruined my day and I've certainly never felt the need to sit around an Internet forum worrying about it and trying to change the habits of numerous random strangers that I may or may not ever encounter...:cool:

Spyro

Visit site
I just think this whole thread is ludicrous. If we were in the pub having a beer the whole conversation would be totally different.

I've had badly tied lines trap my lines in the past. It's an embuggerance to sort it out.

What's so wrong with spending five seconds, literally, five seconds to dip an eye?

This call sign is out.

Nothing at all but not everyone is aware of the technique and if they don't know there is no need to ridicule, get annoyed, cut lines, cast adrift, throw insults etc. The thread isn't about dipping the eye now it's about people's attitudes and some of them stink.

Last edited:

MagicalArmchair

Visit site
Nothing at all but not everyone is aware of the technique and if they don't know there is no need to ridicule, get annoyed, cut lines, cast adrift, throw insults etc. The thread isn't about dipping the eye now it's about people's attitudes and some of them stink.

+1 For the most part we are amateurs, who sail for the love of it. These are attitudes and the whithering stares of grumpy old men with holier than thou attitudes that risk putting the next generation off sailing. I am glad I now know what the term means, however I would not expect another sailor to know it just because I now do, or think less of them if I use it and they don't follow my request (more fool me for using the obscure phase, it should be I that congenially apologies to my helper for being obscure and obtuse).

Lakesailor

Visit site
If I ever find some that some arrogant ignoramus has dropped lines over mine making it difficult for me to leave I will be very tempted to take my rigging knife to them........................

Not to do so is ignorant, thoughtless, rude, arrogant or aggressive.
Hmm. I think the Moorings Police are reading this thread.

Hadenough was right!

“ is called dipping the eye.”

Especially when mis quoted as "dipping the rope"
I love this thread as I'm on holiday and have nothing else to do. It shows the forum at its best - diverse opinions, cut and thrust, personal insults - its got it all!
Nope. There is no swearing and no tits. (I suppose that depends on your definition)

I never knew there were so many unpleasant people around.
I don't believe you. You have been on here 12 years and didn't know that?

So if two or three of you "dip the eye" and then couple more come along and just toss their fixed loops over the top, is that going to mess the whole thing up? Will it in fact make it an even worse situation?

awol

Visit site
So if two or three of you "dip the eye" and then couple more come along and just toss their fixed loops over the top, is that going to mess the whole thing up? Will it in fact make it an even worse situation?

I'm having difficulty imagining anywhere where I might moor with more than one other vessel using the same bollard or cleat. I suppose I might want to attach 2 lines where the other boat also has 2 but following the advice on this thread I can always sever his lines if he has failed to dip.

D

Deleted member 36384

I'm having difficulty imagining anywhere where I might moor with more than one other vessel using the same bollard or cleat. I suppose I might want to attach 2 lines where the other boat also has 2 but following the advice on this thread I can always sever his lines if he has failed to dip.

Before the arrival of the ubiquitous pontoon, at the likes of Rothesay, you could have a yacht in front of you against the harbour wall, behind you and then 3 rafts easily on busy weekends with attendant shore lines. It was this type of mooring on old harbour walls that produced the snakes nest of lines.

Fantasie 19

Visit site
DSC_0036.JPG

DSC_0037.JPG

Re-print admittedly... :D

DSC_0038.JPG

myquest

Visit site
It is carried out by dockers because the first ship in and on the bollard is usually the first one out after cargo operations have been concluded, so it is convenient for large hawsers to be dipped so that they end up below the ships that are likely to leave first. That is the only logical reason. It is certainly not because it allows any line to be slipped in any special way, as all loops adopt the same geometry on the bollard, dipped or not, despite what Puff The Magic Dragon thinks.

I think a point that might be being missed in this thread is that at a commercial dock there are unlikely to be ships rafted up. There is unlikely to be more tan two ships with large diameter lines under tension on any one bollard. As far as yachties following the practice of dipping the loop, I agree there is probably no point. I cant't be bothered to read the rest of the thread as it is getting a bit pointless so if someone else has said this please accept my appologies for "dipping" into a chat and departing earlier than others.

Hadenough

Visit site
I asked a simple question to see if what, to me was a common procedure and expression to find out if it was generally known. Jeez! I'm now getting on with life - elsewhere :encouragement:

AuntyRinum

Visit site
I asked a simple question to see if what, to me was a common procedure and expression to find out if it was generally known. Jeez! I'm now getting on with life - elsewhere :encouragement:
But back to your OP; what about the "very kind man" who "got of(sic) his saily boat" to help you? Was he the idiot you were inferring that he was, or might we expect a post from him questioning what you were talking about?

lw395

Visit site
Have to say the only time I've heard the expression 'dip the rope' it's been related to discharging the static electricity from an aircraft.