Dip the rope

Hadenough

Visit site
Ok a test. Came alongside today and a very kind man got of his saily boat and took my bow line (made off in a loop). The only cleat available already had a looped rope over it so I asked him to "dip the rope". He dangled it in the water and then dropped it over the cleat on top of the exiting rope! What would you have done?

prv

Visit site
What would you have done?

Do you mean if I'd been that man? Obviously I'd have dipped the loop through the existing one properly, so that either could be removed independently.

Or if I'd been you? I wouldn't have worried about such niceties during the initial berthing, but gone round and tidied my lines up one by one myself, once safely alongside.

Pete

VicS

Visit site
Ok a test. Came alongside today and a very kind man got of his saily boat and took my bow line (made off in a loop). The only cleat available already had a looped rope over it so I asked him to "dip the rope". He dangled it in the water and then dropped it over the cleat on top of the exiting rope! What would you have done?

Id have just asked him to drop it on the cleat.............and rearranged it later.

Reminds me of the time sailing with my son when he was quite small. Probably about 8

I got everything ready . warps and fenders, to go along side another boat at a OA rally. Instructed my son to hand the bow warp across to the person waiting to take it as soon as he could easily do so.

Stupid old fool refused to take it because he had not heard me issue the instruction to pass it across!

Hadenough

Visit site
Do you mean if I'd been that man? Obviously I'd have dipped the loop through the existing one properly, so that either could be removed independently.

Or if I'd been you? I wouldn't have worried about such niceties during the initial berthing, but gone round and tidied my lines up one by one myself, once safely alongside.

Pete

That's a good point but doesn't it bother you that such a basic technique is not known by (and I maybe should have said this earlier) an RYA instructor?

NealB

Visit site
I'd not heard the expression "dip the rope" before.

Same here.

I've sailed since the early 1960's, with lots of skippers, done lots of RYA courses, and done loads of background reading.

I'd have guessed what you meant, but have never heard that term before (dipping the ensign? Yes: dipping a rope? No).

(Actually, shouldn't it be 'line' rather than 'rope', anyway?).

Hadenough

Visit site
Same here.

I've sailed since the early 1960's, with lots of skippers, done lots of RYA courses, and done loads of background reading.

I'd have guessed what you meant, but have never heard that term before (dipping the ensign? Yes: dipping a rope? No).

(Actually, shouldn't it be 'line' rather than 'rope', anyway?).

Line, rope, loop? Who cares? He "dipped" it in the water!