Dip the rope

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Apologies if it's been mentioned already, too many posts to read through. When I was being trained by the RN, many moons ago, the term employed was 'through footing' Why? God knows!

It doesn't really matter what term you use, as long as the other person understands. Making up your own expression, as in this thread, is only asking for trouble and leave no room for logical indignation. Am I the only person who sometimes dips a rope to get it wetter and heavier for throwing?

Poignard

Visit site
It doesn't really matter what term you use, as long as the other person understands. Making up your own expression, as in this thread, is only asking for trouble and leave no room for logical indignation. Am I the only person who sometimes dips a rope to get it wetter and heavier for throwing?

Yes. Yes. No.

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
>Dip the rope

I've sailed over 14,000 miles and been into dozens of marinas and helped many people in, if you had asked me dip the rope I wouldn't have had a clue what you were talking about. He didn't and I suspect the majority of sailors wouldn't understand either.