Dip the rope

haydude

Visit site
Ok a test. Came alongside today and a very kind man got of his saily boat and took my bow line (made off in a loop). The only cleat available already had a looped rope over it so I asked him to "dip the rope". He dangled it in the water and then dropped it over the cleat on top of the exiting rope! What would you have done?

I would have done exactly the same as the kind man.

Poignard

Visit site
The very kind man from the saily boat could have said, like that other gentleman, Mr Bennet:

"I have not the pleasure of understanding you, of what are you talking?''

:D

mobeydick

Visit site
If I was a passer-by I would have said (or maybe just thought) 'surely you mean "dip the eye?" but then just put it over the bollard, as it would be up to you to sort it out.

If we knew each other well, I would probably have gently taken the p@@@ out of your incorrect use of the terminology by dipping the rope in the water first.......

If I was a person employed by you to take the line, I would have said "OK", and dipped the eye.

MD

Last edited:

JumbleDuck

Visit site
When I buy a new bit of rope in a shop it's rope. It's still rope when I get it onto my boat. It's my boat and I'll call it what I like. :rolleyes:
It's a bit like saying there are no sails. There are Jib, genoas, spinnakers, mizzens, chutes. etc They are still sails and ropes are still ropes they might have a particular purpose and be called something for that purpose but they are ropes.

Spot on.

Rope can be made from wire as well.

Good point. However, the ropes in my rope locker are all (I think) made of plastic.

I cannot help but feel that the sort of person who would insist that all his bits of rope are lines is also the sort of person would would turn bright red in the face while screaming at a helpful stranger "Dip the rope. Dip the rope. DIP. THE ROPE." But then, all foreigners understand English if you shout loudly enough. Fact.

Lakesailor

Visit site
There are NO ropes in use on a sailing boat.

MD

If I was a passer-by I would have said (or maybe just thought) 'surely you mean "dip the eye?" but then just put it over the bollard, as it would be up to you to sort it out.

If we knew each other well, I would probably have gently taken the p@@@ out of your incorrect use of the terminology by dipping the rope in the water first.......

If I was a person employed by you to take the line, I would have said "OK", and dipped the eye.

MD

No such thing...............

mobeydick

Visit site
When I buy a new bit of rope in a shop it's rope. It's still rope when I get it onto my boat. It's my boat and I'll call it what I like.
It's a bit like saying there are no sails. There are Jib, genoas, spinnakers, mizzens, chutes. etc They are still sails and ropes are still ropes they might have a particular purpose and be called something for that purpose but they are ropes.

Yep you can call it what you like.

HOWEVER, as you say you would buy a bit of ROPE. Or even buy several bits of ROPE. Would you go in and buy ropes?

Compare it to sails then. If you were making your own sails, would you say you had sailcloths (ropes) on your boat, or sailcloth (rope) which you would make into sails (lines) for example jib, genoa (warp, sheets)?

MD

Last edited:

mobeydick

Visit site
Wikipedia:

"A rope is a group of yarns, plies, or strands which are twisted or braided together in order to combine them into a larger and stronger form."
""Rope" refers to the manufactured material. Once rope is purposely sized, cut, spliced, or simply assigned a function, the result is referred to as a "line", especially in nautical usage."

Also

http://www.marineinstitute.org/nautical terms.htm#R

"ROPE - In general, cordage as it is purchased at the store. When it comes aboard a vessel and is put to use it becomes line."

MD

Last edited:

mobeydick

Visit site
Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck

My rope locker is full of ropes.

Exactly, it's also not called a lines locker. Now mobeydick is now saying there is no such thing as ropes..............

Your Rope Locker is full of ROPE. Made into lines. Is not a Ropes Locker is it?

MD

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Exactly, it's also not called a lines locker. Now mobeydick is now saying there is no such thing as ropes..............

Let's face it, what anyone likes to call the bits of string on a boat is really neither here nor there. If it gives someone pleasure to call them "lines", why not? The only issue arises when a little-used term - or indeed a made up one like "dipping the rope" - is used in a way which could lead to confusion.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Your Rope Locker is full of ROPE. Made into lines. Is not a Ropes Locker is it?

"Sail locker", not "sails locker".

"Chart table" not "chart table"

"Flag rack" not "flags rack"

"Bottle rack" not "bottles rack"

"Biscuit tin" not "biscuits tin"

"Card holder" not "cards holder"

"Pig pen" not "pigs pen"

"Match box" not "matches box"

"Cow byre" not "cows byre"

"Dinghy park" not "dinghies park"

"Yacht anchorage" not "yachts anchorage"

Spyro

Visit site
Let's face it, what anyone likes to call the bits of string on a boat is really neither here nor there. If it gives someone pleasure to call them "lines", why not? The only issue arises when a little-used term - or indeed a made up one like "dipping the rope" - is used in a way which could lead to confusion.
quite right, I can call anything on my boat anything I like. What I won't do is tell other people what they should be calling there bits and bobs.

Last edited:

lpdsn

Visit site
For the sake of completeness wasn't there a product called "ropedip" for providing a form of plastic whipping?

Maybe that's what the OP meant.

By the way, it was rubbish. I dipped one rope, put the cap on tightly, went back a couple of weeks later to dip some more rope and the whole lot had set solid in the container. And it has started to flake off the one I dipped.

I now whip the rope/line/warp/string/long-thin-thing.

mobeydick

Visit site
quite right, I can call anything on my boat anything I like. What I won't do is tell other people what they should be calling there bits and bobs.

Of course you can. You can call your lines ropes, strings or broadbeans for all I care.

It is a shame not to use the old, correct terminology though, in my opinion (and it is the correct terminolgy, as you can see from the references I gave) and does help clarity.

MD