Dip the rope

D

Deleted member 36384

... Anybody arriving after you who puts his eye up through all the eyes will trap all of the eyes above yours. ....

I am wrong on this so I stand corrected. Yet in 30 years I never had any issues with multiple lines on bollards.

Shakemeister

Visit site
Dipping being taught may avoid a tort when lines are taut.

Three homonyms in one short sentence. Excellent ! :encouragement:

Anyway it takes seconds to dip an eye so why are some posters still trying to justify not doing it? 19 pages of this 'why I believe dipping eyes is irrelevant to small boats' rubbish.

If I ever find some that some arrogant ignoramus has dropped lines over mine making it difficult for me to leave I will be very tempted to take my rigging knife to them after reading this thread.

It takes seconds to dip an eye. Not to do so is ignorant, thoughtless, rude, arrogant or aggressive.

andygc

Visit site
No it isn't.
I'll rephrase it. It isn't called "doubling up"
They would have to put slips, or "double up" their lines which I believe is the correct term,
On those vessels (which in my experience include both service and civilian large sail training vessels) where there is no shore party and the normal practice is to rig slips for departure, the order "single up" is an instruction to rig the slips and remove other lines. In those vessels where there are people ashore available to release lines on departure, it just means that the additional lines ashore should be released.

Will that satisfy you?

Last edited:

Spyro

Visit site

Anyway it takes seconds to dip an eye so why are some posters still trying to justify not doing it? 19 pages of this 'why I believe dipping eyes is irrelevant to small boats' rubbish.

If I ever find some that some arrogant ignoramus has dropped lines over mine making it difficult for me to leave I will be very tempted to take my rigging knife to them after reading this thread.

It takes seconds to dip an eye. Not to do so is ignorant, thoughtless, rude, arrogant or aggressive.

If I've ever heard a total over reaction that has to be it. Everyone has to learn and not all boaters will have read this thread. Even if they had they are still probably none the wiser. Will you be taking the rigging knife to the arrogant ignoramus or the lines, or both?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 36384

.... Anyway it takes seconds to dip an eye so why are some posters still trying to justify not doing it? 19 pages of this 'why I believe dipping eyes is irrelevant to small boats' rubbish.

I missed this post. What a nasty post and nasty person you are, if I ever inconvenience you please give me the curtesy of helping you out instead of slashing up my yacht's lines. You remind me of a dick head on here who said much the same about anyone who rafted up to him, no thought, just a slashing lines and casting off. I may have a firm opinion on certain matters but I would never wish to harm another persons stuff just because they behaved differently.

l'escargot

Visit site

Making it difficult to leave? If you can't sort out a few ropes you should sell your boat and buy a bike. :encouragement:

The only ignorant, thoughtless, rude, arrogant and aggressive person on here is you. You must be a bundle of laughs to moor up with...

Poignard

Visit site
I'll rephrase it. It isn't called "doubling up"On those vessels (which in my experience include both service and civilian large sail training vessels) where there is no shore party and the normal practice is to rig slips for departure, the order "single up" is an instruction to rig the slips and remove other lines. In those vessels where there are people ashore available to release lines on departure, it just means that the additional lines ashore should be released.

Will that satisfy you?

No.

Singling up means removing extra lines that may have been necessary so that the ship is secured by the minimum number of lines, ready for departure. Just that.

Poignard

Visit site
Triumph of Hadenough?

Hadenough was right!

“If two bights or eye splices are to be placed over the same bollard, the second one must be led up and through the eye of the first and then placed over the bollard. This method, which makes it possible for either to be cast off independently of the other, is called dipping the eye.”
Noel, John, Jr, Captain U.S. Navy (Ret); Knight’s Modern Seamanship (18th edition, 1988), chapter 10; pub: John Wiley & Sons.

Nevertheless, it's probably not a good idea to assume that any casual helper in a marina would be familiar with this book.

Last edited by a moderator:

ghostlymoron

Visit site
Hadenough was right!

“If two bights or eye splices are to be placed over the same bollard, the second one must be led up and through the eye of the first and then placed over the bollard. This method, which makes it possible for either to be cast off independently of the other, is called dipping the eye.”
Noel, John, Jr, Captain U.S. Navy (Ret); Knight’s Modern Seamanship (18th edition, 1988), chapter 10; pub: John Wiley & Sons.

Nevertheless, it's probably not a good idea to assume that any casual helper in a marina would be familiar with this book.
Especially when mis quoted as "dipping the rope"
I love this thread as I'm on holiday and have nothing else to do. It shows the forum at its best - diverse opinions, cut and thrust, personal insults - its got it all!

Last edited:

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Hadenough was right!

But much of this thread has been about how the correct nautical term is dipping the eye and that Hadenough is therefore most definitely wrong! Or are we starting over again?

Richard