Dip the rope

NealB

Visit site
Re: Triumph of Hadenough?

Hadenough was right!

Nevertheless, it's probably not a good idea to assume that any casual helper in a marina would be familiar with this book.​

Interesting ......... another US authority.

I've read LOADS of sailing books over the last fifty years, but have never, as far as I can recall, heard the term before (though several show the method).

But most of my books are English.​

awol

Visit site

From the "Sea Cadet Seamanship Training Manual 2001 2nd Edition" extracted from the Admiralty Manual BR67
0208.12 Placing the Eyes of Two or more Berthing Hawser on a Single Bollard
When it is necessary to secure two or more berthing hawsers to a single bollard, the eye of the second hawser should be passed through the eye of the first hawser and then secured to the bollard; similarly, the eye of a third hawser would be passed through the eyes of the first two; this enables the hawsers to be cast off in any order. This procedure is called `dipping the eye'.
dip_zps5ecpcqfv.jpg

southseaian

Visit site

This thread seems to have gone off a tangent.
What the OP was getting at was the ignorance of his quayside helper. That someone did not understand his (probably wrong) term "dip the rope".
The OP was either either being very arrogant towards his helper or maybe was being provocative in his posting.

If two or more spliced eyes are used on one bollard then unless the eyes are dipped the upper mooring lines must be removed to release lower ones. Where bowlines are used they can (sometimes with difficulty) be untied.
Do proper sailors use mooring lines with spliced eyes anyway? I thought they were the stuff of flashy motor boaters. Proper sailors know that eyes in lines are bound to get hooked around something sooner later.

Corribee Boy

Visit site

Actually, the OP wanted the helper to 'dip the rope'

I had never heard of this - I therefore pointed out that it was 'Dipping the eye' in post 11 or so.

Poignard

Visit site

Anyway, none of this affects me. After many years sailing I have become adept at spotting the sort of yachtsmen who like to lord it over anyone who is kind enough to offer to help them. I keep well clear of them.

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk

dip_zps5ecpcqfv.jpg

a single image is indeed worth a thousand words

I myself tend to avoid the use of Hawsers when attaching my 22 footer to a bollard

I have found that ordinary three strand polyprop is often adequate

I always were uniform when ashore though

Last edited:

michael_w

Visit site
What about those knobheads who loop the fixed eye round their cleats and hand you miles of line when coming alongside?

One of my old boats only had a single foredeck cleat; the solution was to tie a bowline (dipped round my cleat :cool:) and hand the whole mess of slack back to the offender.

ronsurf

Visit site
When I did my ICC the RYA examiner told me tie a bowline, loop that over my cleat, loop the line around the cleat or bollard then bring it back to my boat and tie the line off around my cleat. Suppose you'd still have to dip it.

BTW - I was taught that there's only one rope on a boat - the bolt rope in the sail. Other than that there are lines, warps, sheets, halyards, etc.

So "dipping the rope" is kind of wrong on all counts - it should be dipping the eye, and he's passing the shoreside guy a line, (or warp, I guess). He's kind of mixed up a nautical expression and a landlubbers one. In my mind the shoreside guy did the right thing. He wasn't asked to dip the eye, he was told to dip the rope. So he dipped the rope in the sea, then tied the line to the cleat. Probably all the while thinking, "Bluddy idiot doesn't know a line from a rope"

southseaian

Visit site

dip_zps5ecpcqfv.jpg

a single image is indeed worth a thousand words

I myself tend to avoid the use of Hawsers when attaching my 22 footer to a bollard

I have found that ordinary three strand polyprop is often adequate

I always were uniform when ashore though

This image show dangerous working practices must be viewed with caution
Who did the risk assessment for goodness sake?
That uniformed man should be wearing a lifejacket. Total disregard to H&S issues.
(and gloves, helmet and steel toe capped boots)

l'escargot

Visit site
No.

Singling up means removing extra lines that may have been necessary so that the ship is secured by the minimum number of lines, ready for departure. Just that.
So in fact you could single up your lines without even rigging a slip, or doubling as I've called it, at all. Isn't there a lot of confusion about all these nautical terms as well as people using them incorrectly... ;)

Spyro

Visit site
What about those knobheads who loop the fixed eye round their cleats and hand you miles of line when coming alongside?

One of my old boats only had a single foredeck cleat; the solution was to tie a bowline (dipped round my cleat :cool:) and hand the whole mess of slack back to the offender.

"Knobhead" Really? Why do so many people have to resort to insults to lord it over the igonorance of others? I never knew there were so many unpleasant people around. I must come under the term Knobhead. If I'm coming alongside single handed I have a line with a loop over my bow cleat and one on my stern. I approach the pontoon or berth and when alongside jump of with bow and stern line in my hands. I can control the bow and stern with both of these lines. They are both the length of the boat so that I can still attach either to a cleat without letting go of the other.
On the other hand if I come alongside and there is someone offering to take my lines I gladly take them up on it. I don't say hang on I'll have to turn these ropes round, shorten them and hand them a looped end.
Are some so narrow minded that they think their way is the right way, the only way and there is no other way to do things?

Last edited:

awol

Visit site
Are some so narrow minded that they think their way is the right way, the only way and there is no other way to do things?

Oh, come on, Spyro - you must know the answer to your question and you must have met them. I actually envy them their certainty and faith, never to question their own actions, never to be filled with doubts, and then, if it does go wrong, to be able to blame it on someone else without another thought. That takes me back to the OP and my admiration for the quick-wittedness and piss-taking of the guy who dipped his warp in the water.

l'escargot

Visit site

The solution would be to put his line around your cleat and pass him back the rest so he can adjust things from his end, but a knobhead wouldn't think of that...