Dip the rope

PuffTheMagicDragon

Visit site
Would it be any harder on departure than on arrival? Surely you can just as easily dip your rope in reverse on departure?

4451828-9195606723-P3Mov.gif

prv

Visit site
Surely you can just as easily dip your rope in reverse on departure?

Yes, if you have dipped the eye on arrival then you do the same in reverse to leave.

Beyond that, I don't understand what you're suggesting.

EDIT: I've re-read your post and the only conclusion I can draw is that you've misunderstood PTMD's one. When he said "wiggle the bottom eyes up between the bollard and the other eyes", he was being facetious, because the entire point is that with real vessels and warps (as opposed to toy yachts) you cannot do that.

Pete

Last edited:

l'escargot

Visit site
Yes, if you have dipped the eye on arrival then you do the same in reverse to leave.

Beyond that, I don't understand what you're suggesting.

Pete
you can still do it even if it wasn't done on arrival. I'm not suggesting anything other than it can just as easily be done by a boat departing as it can be by a a boat arriving - so there is no need to get all twisted out of shape if arriving boats don't do it. Some people seemed to be suggesting that they were trapped and would have to resort to setting other boats adrift or cutting their lines if the later arrivals didn't dip their line. It is simply a technique that can be used by the last arrival or first departure - two boats drop their loops on top of yours, simply pull yours up from underneath through theirs and over the bollard and off you go - and absolutely nothing to get excited about...

Last edited:

Shakemeister

Visit site
I can't believe this thread is going on for so long. It's simple - dip your eyes. Just 'cos you've never heard the phrase before, or ever done it before doesn't mean it doesn't happen in the real world.

Every day is a school day for those with an enquiring mind.

I'm an average sailor - doesn't mean I don't listen to advice that I don't like the sound of. Perhaps others should open their ears and take onboard good advice too.

prv

Visit site
simply pull yours up from underneath through theirs and over the bollard and off you go - and absolutely nothing to get excited about...

To do that, it has to slip between the loaded part of the loop and the bollard surface that it is pressing against. Generally feasible with small yachts, not with larger vessels.

Pete

l'escargot

Visit site
Not so, if you're arriving your eye passes through the open side of the other eye and then over, not through the loaded part and the bollard.
But the departing boats line will be under tension and needs to be lifted over the arriving boats line which is then under tension. It's six of one and half a dozen of the other. At the end of the day it is of no real relevance to the boats owned by people on here, just the ones who want to play "big boats" and try to make themselves look like serious seafarers. We're all just playing with our toys really...:)

ghostlymoron

Visit site
Dipping the rope is a meaningless phrase as has been pointed out. 'Dipping the eye' is the standard way of securing a loop to a bollard which I learnt on Competant Crew course although it wasn't called anything special. Usually with yachts you can pull a bit of slack so its not really necessary, if the Queen Mary arrives and wants to tie up, you're in the wrong place. She couldn't slip her loop through yours anyway.

pmagowan

sites.google.com
I think for some people the only way they are going to understand is to do it. Even our toy boats can create tensions that are beyond an average mans strength to resist. There is a way to do it that avoids any effort so it is probably worth using.

D

Deleted member 36384

But that's just it... they don't!

However, as the saying goes in my country "Whoever tries to wash a mule's head is wasting his soap and water"...

Resorting to insults now, you just don't get it, do you. Instead you bleat on with irrelevant examples to yachting. My expertise is 10s of thousands of miles as skipper and first mate on sailing training yachts, the largest I have skippered is 55', the largest yacht I have sailed is 75'. The vast majority of these miles have been around the British coastline and from Lisbon to Bergen, mooring in every type of harbour on a regular basis. I received my training from ex merchantmen and a couple of RN persons.

We are discussing mooring yachts on this forum, not ships, most folks yachts are around the 8 to 10 tonne mark, probably lighter. The last thing that I want my crew doing is feeding lines through loops. Normally, once a yacht stops she will start to drift relatively fast, my shore crews first purpose is to secure the yacht, they don't have dockers to take their lines. Further, as I now sail for my own leisure and are shorthanded, no one will be on my foredeck or stern to pull lines in and make off, so the crew just pull the line taught on shore and make off, always on top. I will sort my yacht's mooring lines later being diligent to others requirements.

When I finalise her mooring lines, if it is bollards or cleats, I will tie large bowlines around in the lowest position, I will not dip, or rarely will I dip. I do that for security for my own yacht as I do not want anyone dicking about with my lines. If they are on the bottom, they are of no concern to other skippers. When departing, in conditions where lines are tight, I set slips and prepare my yacht for departure, rarely do I depart with anyone on the quay, all lines are normally slipped. However, in conditions where departure is easy, my crew will just reach through the other bights and lift off as described in my first post on this thread.

Even in the picture you have posted of a bollard and cleat I would not dip if I was alongside that harbour wall. My yacht would be low down, with my lines likely to be running up to that bollard. In this case, once secure (probably with a round turn and temporary hitch on top initially), I would simply pass my mooring line around the bollard below the other lines and tie a large bowline. There would be absolutely no reason for me, in my yacht, to dip through the large lines. I have dipped and may have to do it again in situations were there are very high quays and the wall is lined with vessels below the quay height and all lines are running tight over the edge and down to the vessels. In this case, if it was difficult to feed a line around the bollard such that it was the lowest line (because all the lines are pulling down over the edge) dipping might be appropriate.

To be quite frank, your arguments are ridiculous and have little relevancy to sailing yachts, but go ahead, dip away, it is an irrelevant practise to safe mooring of yachts in nearly all mooring situations. On the yachts I sailed, and on my own yacht, none have spliced eyelets in the mooring lines, all just plain ends a situation that is not comparable with ships lines.

I consider myself expert enough to make these comments and claim that dipping is irrelevant to yacht mooring.

Shakemeister

Visit site
I consider myself expert enough to make these comments and claim that dipping is irrelevant to yacht mooring.

Don't use the same cleats or bollards as me then unless you want me knocking on your boat to take care of your lines.

Seriously, why are people digging themselves in to a hole about this over a simple technique that takes seconds?

16 pages about dipping your eyes. Good grief.

l'escargot

Visit site
I think for some people the only way they are going to understand is to do it. Even our toy boats can create tensions that are beyond an average mans strength to resist. There is a way to do it that avoids any effort so it is probably worth using.
If you've got that much tension on the rope, you won't get it off the bollard anyway - that's why most people who don't have shoreside mooring crew rig slips - it also means you can set off with everyone on the boat and don't leave with someone dangling by a leg from the guard wires...:)

D

Deleted member 36384

Don't use the same cleats or bollards as me then unless you want me knocking on your boat to take care of your lines. ....

I assure you that I won't inconvenience you and nothing that I have described would. Why would you tell me to take care of my lines if they were not interfering with you in any way? Please, explain, I am intrigued and always open to learn new ways.

old_salt

Visit site
Resorting to insults now, you just don't get it, do you. Instead you bleat on with irrelevant examples to yachting. My expertise is 10s of thousands of miles as skipper and first mate on sailing training yachts, the largest I have skippered is 55', the largest yacht I have sailed is 75'. The vast majority of these miles have been around the British coastline and from Lisbon to Bergen, mooring in every type of harbour on a regular basis. I received my training from ex merchantmen and a couple of RN persons.

We are discussing mooring yachts on this forum, not ships, most folks yachts are around the 8 to 10 tonne mark, probably lighter. The last thing that I want my crew doing is feeding lines through loops. Normally, once a yacht stops she will start to drift relatively fast, my shore crews first purpose is to secure the yacht, they don't have dockers to take their lines. Further, as I now sail for my own leisure and are shorthanded, no one will be on my foredeck or stern to pull lines in and make off, so the crew just pull the line taught on shore and make off, always on top. I will sort my yacht's mooring lines later being diligent to others requirements.

When I finalise her mooring lines, if it is bollards or cleats, I will tie large bowlines around in the lowest position, I will not dip, or rarely will I dip. I do that for security for my own yacht as I do not want anyone dicking about with my lines. If they are on the bottom, they are of no concern to other skippers. When departing, in conditions where lines are tight, I set slips and prepare my yacht for departure, rarely do I depart with anyone on the quay, all lines are normally slipped. However, in conditions where departure is easy, my crew will just reach through the other bights and lift off as described in my first post on this thread.

Even in the picture you have posted of a bollard and cleat I would not dip if I was alongside that harbour wall. My yacht would be low down, with my lines likely to be running up to that bollard. In this case, once secure (probably with a round turn and temporary hitch on top initially), I would simply pass my mooring line around the bollard below the other lines and tie a large bowline. There would be absolutely no reason for me, in my yacht, to dip through the large lines. I have dipped and may have to do it again in situations were there are very high quays and the wall is lined with vessels below the quay height and all lines are running tight over the edge and down to the vessels. In this case, if it was difficult to feed a line around the bollard such that it was the lowest line (because all the lines are pulling down over the edge) dipping might be appropriate.

To be quite frank, your arguments are ridiculous and have little relevancy to sailing yachts, but go ahead, dip away, it is an irrelevant practise to safe mooring of yachts in nearly all mooring situations. On the yachts I sailed, and on my own yacht, none have spliced eyelets in the mooring lines, all just plain ends a situation that is not comparable with ships lines.

As an ex merchantmen with as many mls as BOB 42 trips across the Atlantic plus many more around the Irish sea the English channel the med and inland Holland.
I whole heartedly agree with him. I would love to see some little yachty cope with a bollard with a 40,000 tonners wire on it.
Mind hopefully they wouldn't go anywhere near it. and nether would I on a 30ftr.
But at least it would not frighten us what you say BOB.