Deben entrance 2024

shanemax

Visit site
If you look at the very top of the very informative picture by tillergirl you will see the 3 mastered training yacht, that was falling to pieces. It sat in Harwich harbour for many years and I always thought how sad. Does any one know where it is now or was it scrapped.

Leighb

Visit site
Many years ago now it broke free from its mooring and was driven ashore on the outside of Shotley Marina. It sat there for some while before it was towed away, I believe to Lowestoft to be scrapped.

captain.morgan

Visit site
Photos taken of the Deben entrance at LW 0.5m Harwich on 15th February 2024.

The buoys are in the 2023 positions and the Trinity House survey hasn't taken place yet, so it will be a few weeks before the buoys are moved.

You will see that the old channel running parallel to the golf course has nearly closed up.

John White the Harbourmaster says he is concerned as there is now a dogleg in the channel and John Barber (assistant Harbourmaster) reports that there isn't much depth at either end.

John

View attachment 172724

View attachment 172725

View attachment 172726
Fantastic images - Thank you @Johnah . I'm traversing in to the Deben in a few weeks for the first time and was looking for guidance. These pics are a massive help.

Stork_III

Visit site

beckford_at_sail.1200x0.png

beckford-1.1200x0.png

HMS Beckford | TON Class Association

Leighb

Visit site
Another photo taken in November 2016, a few days after she went ashore, taken from Shotley Marina. She was on the beach there until sometime the following year.
IMG_3017.jpeg
IMG_3017.jpeg

Johnah

Visit site
Some more photos this time from Monday 11th March, LWS 0.2m above CD. The beached SH 'Middle Knoll' buoy just indicates how the spit is moving Southwards.

The Deben entrance buoys are still in their 2023 positions and I understand the Trinity House survey will take place before Easter.

I doubt whether the buoys will be moved into their 2024 positions before Easter.

The last photo is looking from the shore out to sea.

Apologies for the poor quality of the photos but it was just after dawn.

John

DJI_0348.jpgDJI_0347.jpg
DJI_0350.jpgDJI_0356.jpg

DanTribe

Visit site
Ooh er! This year looks like being one of the more challenging entrances.
I think I'll wait for the chartlet.

Johnah

Visit site
It's the Mid Knoll Starboard hand buoy which is high and dry.

John White's guidance for this weekend for yachts entering the Deben:- "From the Woodbridge Haven head for a point 30m from Mid Knoll. Then line up West Knoll with the Martello Tower using that as a transit. Pass West Knoll on the correct side by 10m. Head for Knoll Spit. When halfway between these buoys head for Deben Buoy. Pass 10m on the correct side. This is only correct for this weekend, things can alter anytime."

It is hoped that the survey will be done soon, it was planned for last week.

John

Johnah

Visit site
The Trinity House survey has not yet taken place, so it is likely to be a few days before the buoys are repositioned.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
The Trinity House survey has not yet taken place, so it is likely to be a few days before the buoys are repositioned.
I'm curious about one thing. Why does Trinity House survey and maintain the buoys at the entrance to the Deben when it doesn't for Hamford Water and the Walton channel? Not complaining; just wondering how they decide! Commercial interest can't be the reason - Hamford Water has a more active commercial operation (the explosives factory at Oakley Creek, with several freighters a year) than anything on the Deben. Historic activity is also the same for both; barges went up to Walton.

dunedin

Visit site
I'm curious about one thing. Why does Trinity House survey and maintain the buoys at the entrance to the Deben when it doesn't for Hamford Water and the Walton channel? Not complaining; just wondering how they decide! Commercial interest can't be the reason - Hamford Water has a more active commercial operation (the explosives factory at Oakley Creek, with several freighters a year) than anything on the Deben. Historic activity is also the same for both; barges went up to Walton.
Yes, I was also wondering similarly. Plus Antares Charts seems to manage to survey places in Scotland to at least as high standard - and massively more detail - than UKHO ever does, and creates very detailed electronic charts.
Could a group of locals / clubs not ask for some coaching and do similar Antares style surveys. Could do 3 or 4 times each sailing season and solve the issue entirely. Only has to save one grounding to make worthwhile.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Yes, I was also wondering similarly. Plus Antares Charts seems to manage to survey places in Scotland to at least as high standard - and massively more detail - than UKHO ever does, and creates very detailed electronic charts.
Could a group of locals / clubs not ask for some coaching and do similar Antares style surveys. Could do 3 or 4 times each sailing season and solve the issue entirely. Only has to save one grounding to make worthwhile.
As a former professional in the map-making business (Geographic Information Systems Manager at British Antarctic Survey),

A) I have great admiration for Antares and

B) That's because I know what's involved and how difficult it is!

Seriously, Antares have several advantages over the East Coast, not least that they're surveying a rocky coast that changes slowly, and where fixed marks are readily available (mainly needed for tidal corrections). But they have developed expertise over many years, and have listened to advice.

@tillergirl does the right kind of surveying in the Thames Estuary; he often posts his surveys here as well as on his website. But he is very careful to state that his surveys are done with amateur equipment and should be used with care.

The problem is always the issue of liability. If you place buoys and someone gets wrecked following them, who picks up the bill? Trinity House probably have Crown Immunity, but we don't. Of course that sort of thing can be overcome - witness the buoys at Hamford Water and the Walton Channel! But you'd need to have that kind of thing in place.

Another issue is that although I called @tillergirl 's equipment amateur, it is high end amateur, fitted to a vessel suited to operation in the shallow waters of the Thames Estuary.

Finally, the fieldwork is probably the easy bit - processing the data to produce a useful chart is at least as much effort, and requires considerable expertise.