Deben entrance 2024

Johnah

Visit site
Photos taken of the Deben entrance at LW 0.5m Harwich on 15th February 2024.

The buoys are in the 2023 positions and the Trinity House survey hasn't taken place yet, so it will be a few weeks before the buoys are moved.

You will see that the old channel running parallel to the golf course has nearly closed up.

John White the Harbourmaster says he is concerned as there is now a dogleg in the channel and John Barber (assistant Harbourmaster) reports that there isn't much depth at either end.

John

DJI_0325 rework (1986 x 1247).jpg

15th Feb 2024 (1973 x 1264).jpg

DJI_0332 (1320 x 990).jpg

shanemax

Visit site
I would suggest additional buoys as at the Walton entrance, Starting from the Northern Cardinal Mark "Island Point" the powers that be seem to use as many red/greens as is necessary to keep the entrance safe. Some are a matter of a few meters apart.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Are you iffering to fund all these new buoys?
Local businesses and organizations sponsor the buoys at Stone Point and the entrance to Hamford Water and all have a sponsor's name on them. Halls Boatyard at Walton maintains them and repositions them as required. Unlike the buoys at the Deben Entrance, they are not maintained by Trinity House. I think it's all organized by the Walton and Frinton Yacht Club.

shanemax

Visit site
Out of interest, can some one tell me what is used to keep these buoys in place. if its a big lump of concrete surely in shifting shingle this is a hazard in its self as it would be like hitting a rock. if its a big anchor the same applies. Subject to tidal flow and wind you could sail right over the sinker and not know it.

shanemax

Visit site
Excellent pictures tillergirl. " A picture is worth a thousand words" It proves its not a good idea to hug the buoys too closely as with the wrong tidal flow the red/green buoy could be floating right over the sinker and then imagine what would happen to a deep fin yacht travelling at 8 knots if it hit one. Especially the Deben with its limited high water at the entrance.
I have seen many yachts come skating in here at high water springs.

Seashoreman

www.pianotuning.uk.com
Excellent pictures tillergirl. " A picture is worth a thousand words" It proves its not a good idea to hug the buoys too closely as with the wrong tidal flow the red/green buoy could be floating right over the sinker and then imagine what would happen to a deep fin yacht travelling at 8 knots if it hit one. Especially the Deben with its limited high water at the entrance.
I have seen many yachts come skating in here at high water springs.
Would not these sinkers rapidly become covered in shingle and literally sink? I doubt they would just sit ontop of it.
Also hitting a shingle bank at 8 knots would surely cause as much damage as hitting a sinker weight? Possibly also a little foolhardy to sail into the river at 8 knots?

WF36

Visit site
Would not these sinkers rapidly become covered in shingle and literally sink? I doubt they would just sit ontop of it.
Also hitting a shingle bank at 8 knots would surely cause as much damage as hitting a sinker weight? Possibly also a little foolhardy to sail into the river at 8 knots?
Nicked from one of the other Deben threads:

dji_0560-1320-x-990-jpg.133604

RivalRedwing

Visit site
concern about the blue flashing light?
  • Fitted with an alternating blue* and yellow flashing light with a nominal range of 4 nautical miles where the blue and yellow 1 second flashes are alternated with an interval of 0.5 seconds

edit... but that is likely on top, silly me

Leighb

Visit site
Given that you generally enter on the flood, which runs pretty fast especially on Springs, it can be difficult to come in much slower and maintain good steerage way. I have often seem 10knots plus SOG.