Cruising Schengen area from 2022.

syvictoria

Visit site
Of course I'll need to register now if remaining longer than 90 days as it is a requirement for all EU citizens. My Swedish, Irish and Germany friends probably won't bother, at least for a year or two. Unfortunately, my wife only has a UK passport and I'll need to comply.

Your first sentence appears to be at odds with the rest of your post? Were you not previously an EU citizen? What has changed for you? If you hold an EU passport, your British wife has a right to travel with you in terms of FoM.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Your first sentence appears to be at odds with the rest of your post? Were you not previously an EU citizen? What has changed for you? If you hold an EU passport, your British wife has a right to travel with you in terms of FoM.
If I was travelling alone I wouldn't bother registering after 90 days. I've previously exceeded 90 days in France, Spain, Portugal, Italy and Greece. I have even exceeded 183 days a few times and am not talking about 90 days in 180 days. EU citizens were meant to comply with local laws and register after 90 days but could leave after 89 days and return a little later. I don't think any of my friends bothered to register either.

My wife is no longer an EU citizens and her passport is stamped , even when we are travelling together. FoM allows her to remain BUT here date of entry is obvious and she needs to register in order to remain. She can't get that document unless I also register first as that's a pre-requisite.

It wasn't an issue when we were both EU citizens unless we were being investigated for some reason. We kept bank robbery to a minimum. :D

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
I wonder how it would operate. Passports aren't routinely checked when driving around inside the Schengen area and crossing borders. I imagine they'd only be checked when leaving Schengen.

Very hard for tourists to stay under the radar, hotel guests and marina arrivals are reported to authorities, as no doubt happens with camping and motor home sites.

Mistroma

www.mistroma.com
Very hard for tourists to stay under the radar, hotel guests and marina arrivals are reported to authorities, as no doubt happens with camping and motor home sites.
I wasn't really thinking it would be a problem for people on a 2-3 week vacation. I rarely use a marina and was wondering how the suggested change would work for cruisers. Imagine anchoring in the Guadiana and someone trying to prove you had exceeded 90 days in Spain and another unrelated 90 days in Portugal over a 5 month period. I guess they'd both claim concurrent time in both, even when anchored mid-river and swinging around. However, you could leave and visit Spain for a few days before turning around and anchoring in Portugal for another spell.

I was responding to the question "Can anyone produce a simple reason why all EU countries cannot return to previous system of 90 days in each independent country?". I thought it was fairly obvious why it not happen.

ean_p

Visit site
[QUOTE="Mistroma, post: 7871258, member: .

My wife is no longer an EU citizens and her passport is stamped , even when we are travelling together. FoM allows her to remain BUT here date of entry is obvious and she needs to register in order to remain. She can't get that document unless I also register first as that's a pre-requisite.

That's quite interesting as it really brings to the fore the embedded need for all people within the EU to register after 90 days if in a country not of their nationality. If the forthcoming EU monitoring system is able to monitor car, rail and flight data then it may make life quite uncomfortable for a lot of Europeans as well as third country visitors / residents.

Mistroma

www.mistroma.com
That's quite interesting as it really brings to the fore the embedded need for all people within the EU to register after 90 days if in a country not of their nationality. If the forthcoming EU monitoring system is able to monitor car, rail and flight data then it may make life quite uncomfortable for a lot of Europeans as well as third country visitors / residents.

I did say that I didn't think my friends would bother to register in the short term. I also thought that the new systems would eventually catch them out and think there will be chaos for a while. I don't think Greek authorities are set up to handle every Swedish, German, Irish, etc. cruiser turning up and wanting to register in one year.

I'm pretty certain my wife also needs a visa if entering Greece next year. UK residents don't need a visa for a short stay but I believe she does need one if planning to remain for longer than 90 days. I'm still trying to sort that out as it is a little confusing. Does she get a visa and not need to do anything else (I think it lasts 2 years)? What happens if we apply to remain >90 days when in Greece and don't have her visa (she can only apply outside Greece)? I think quite a few people will run into similar issues.

Last edited:

Fr J Hackett

Visit site

Pre EU or even CM days I remember filling in a card with nationality address etc at hotels, I wonder if that will return.

Mistroma

www.mistroma.com
I honestly wouldn't know.
Haven't flown commercial in over a decade.
Now I think about it, they are still doing it.:D:D It started about 20 years ago and would still be carried out when you last flew. Only 10 years at that point and 20 years now. Probably a bad example.

I'll give it more thought, there must be something started as an emergency measure and then cancelled. On the other hand....:D

zoidberg

Visit site
Has anyone actually been to Schengen? It's somewhere in deep-rural Luxembourg, I understand....

If so, was it worth the bother travelling?

pandos

Visit site
Has anyone actually been to Schengen? It's somewhere in deep-rural Luxembourg, I understand....

If so, was it worth the bother travelling?
I went there many times. It was the best place to get cheap fags and diesel en route from Dunkirk to lake Geneva, having stocked up, it was then a charge down the Autobahns, no French tolls and drivers that can drive....with service areas that sold really nice hotdogs!!

zoidberg

Visit site
So what's the point about that road tunnel under the hill HERE when it would have been much easier and cheaper to pass around it on the north side....?