Lithium Powerpacks, solar and alternator charging for offgrid 240v

Grith

Visit site
Hi All We have converted our trailerable cruising yacht and off-road capable slide on truck camper (also our tow vehicle) to EcoFlow Delta Max 2 Lithium Powerpacks to provide 240v power offgrid for extended cruising and camping without power hookup.
With significant solar arrays combined with alternator charging we no longer carry our Honda Eu2.2 generator and use induction cooking, heat our water via 240v, charge various batteries, have other 240v occasional use appliances and even occasionally run heating and air conditioning via 240v whilst remote cruising/travelling now.
These portable lithium Powerpacks provide 138ah/2028wh battery/(2400w)inverter/highspeed battery charger/ mppt solar controller charging /remote control and monitor by phone app giving us with 240v power supplementing our 200ah (now also lithium) house battery systems which provide 12v for both platforms also charged by solar and alternators.
We have installed leads and plugs from our grid/shore power switch boxes on both with a change over switches allowing retained access to grid power and safe switchover to powering from the EcoFlow units.
A new product from EcoFlow allowing up to 800w dc to dc charging from alternators and also allowing reversing power back to the source batteries in both fast and trickle modes should further revolutionise the ease of use and charging of these units.
With complete app monitoring of power acceptance and power use the units have revolutionised my understanding or power use for various appliances and improved our efficiency in electrical use and appliance choice.
Whilst still expensive the portability of these units (23kgs) allow their quick transfer between our various travelling platforms and when not travelling/cruising provide solar powering to some appliances at our home base along with power UPS style grid outage backup for fridge freezer and other essential home appliances.
Whilst potentially much cheaper to cobble together all the Powerpacks attributes separately the overall package and its portability are excellent.
We have no gas on our yacht now whilst retaining at present the option to use gas for alternative cooking and hotwater heating in our slide on camper as with the ability for any leaks to drain away via ventilation and gravity it is much safer there.
The units are placed in under settee berth locations in both the yacht and camper with in the yacht location being fitted neatly into hatches with attached plastic boxes keeping them out of moistures way.
Out of interest our 28 foot trailerable cruising yacht has over 1000w of solar panels and our camper 600w with a further 320w of fold out deployable panels carried on either.
We do live in Australia with a much higher access to sunshine! IMG_1022.jpeg
A long way from navigable water transiting from southern to northern Australia in days rather than weeks/months by sail/water.
IMG_2247.jpeg
Completely packed up whilst onwater (deliberately not stepping off the yacht) and ready to load straight back onto our trailer and drive bacj to southern Australia after living out in the Whistsundays for 9 weeks. The Imexus 28 yacht travels/tows with solar panels, dodger and Bimini erected and dingy strapped on the foredeck.
IMG_4274.jpeg
Remote free camping with just our Isuzu NLS AWD car licensed truck with Beyond slide on camper with remote controlled electric jack off legs. We generally leave it on for most camping applications but it’s 10 minutes to take it off and 15 to remount it freeing the truck for other uses.

Grith

Visit site
I see a lot of negatives from some about using lithium batteries ranging from fire risk to insurance cancellation risk. After research I feel most of the issues are charging and battery management system resulting in thermal runaway often also related to cheaply manufactured batteries or home installed charging methods.
On balance I feel there is more risk from leaking gas collecting in bilges with no way to escape and have gone this direction to also allow very long cruises without resupply.
Also the fitment of our EcoFlow lithium Delta Max 2 power packs into proprietary hatches with attached plastic boxes under our settee berths on both sides of the yacht is a very neat solution keeping them out of harms way even if our yacht was leaned way over and if there was ever water in the bilges. ( we have a very dry boat )
The closed lid just pinched down on the top slightly completely securing them and at 23 kgs. I think that’s pretty good for a completely plug in and carry away portable units featuring a just over 2000wh lithium battery, 2400w with 3000w boost and 4800w spike capability sine wave 240v inverter, an MPPT solar charge controller and a computer controlled super fast charger with remote control switching and monitoring of both input and output by phone app. The monitoring has taught me a lot about solar panel performance and adjustment and individual appliance power usage as well. 🙂
IMG_5909.jpeg

Neeves

Visit site
Very neat!

As I understand it, but I might have missed something, you have a total house bank 338amps of house batteries (in two banks) and 1,920 watts of solar, again in 2 displays. I assume you have lead battery for the truck and, maybe one for engine (outboard) start on the yacht (which also powers the windlass?). You supplement the charging with a 50 amp dc/dc charger using the truck alternator. Combined you have a great off grid power supply combining both the truck and yacht with the ability to transfer or use all the resource either on land or on water (except for the fixed solar panels on the truck which can only be used on land).

You will have this resource available to you at home and could run some of your electrical needs at home of this mobile power plant and/or power an EV.

Frankly - whereas you have followed this route because you want to haul the yacht 4,000km across Australia - its a really effective and efficient use of your investment, the ability to live off grid in the camper and yacht, fully off grid on the yacht and 'largely' off grid at home.

Many Lithium based power sources are limited to the yacht only, or the home only - and you have combined the various applications into one unit. We have a similar. but much smaller system, which we use only at home so far, because we are currently without yacht - but like you - I purposely designed it to be transferable to 'anywhere' - to much criticism - so its gratifying to see your have done the same but on a much larger (and more sensible) scale. Our intention is to extend what we have done - very much along the lines that you describe - but using kit from different sources.

As I said - very neat.

Jonathan

Grith

Visit site
Very neat!

As I understand it, but I might have missed something, you have a total house bank 338amps of house batteries (in two banks) and 1,920 watts of solar, again in 2 displays. I assume you have lead battery for the truck and, maybe one for engine (outboard) start on the yacht (which also powers the windlass?). You supplement the charging with a 50 amp dc/dc charger using the truck alternator. Combined you have a great off grid power supply combining both the truck and yacht with the ability to transfer or use all the resource either on land or on water (except for the fixed solar panels on the truck which can only be used on land).

You will have this resource available to you at home and could run some of your electrical needs at home of this mobile power plant and/or power an EV.

Frankly - whereas you have followed this route because you want to haul the yacht 4,000km across Australia - its a really effective and efficient use of your investment, the ability to live off grid in the camper and yacht, fully off grid on the yacht and 'largely' off grid at home.

Many Lithium based power sources are limited to the yacht only, or the home only - and you have combined the various applications into one unit. We have a similar. but much smaller system, which we use only at home so far, because we are currently without yacht - but like you - I purposely designed it to be transferable to 'anywhere' - to much criticism - so its gratifying to see your have done the same but on a much larger (and more sensible) scale. Our intention is to extend what we have done - very much along the lines that you describe - but using kit from different sources.

As I said - very neat.

Jonathan
Hi Jonathan
Almost. :) We have two x EcoFlow Delta Max 2 Lithium Powerpacks each of 138ah which transfer between the camper and yacht depending on which is in use.
Also solar charged power our water and backup systems at our home base when not off travelling.
Both the yacht and the camper now each have 200amp hour lithium house batteries fixed in place.
The yacht also has a calcium lead 12v starter battery and the Isuzu truck two lead acid starter batteries connected in series powering a 24v system.

Last edited:

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Why do you keep making this up ?

You were not criticised for anything of the sort, you were criticised for misleading the forum into thinking the system you were building was for a boat.

Neeves

Visit site
Why do you keep making this up ?

You were not criticised for anything of the sort, you were criticised for misleading the forum into thinking the system you were building was for a boat.
But it is for a boat, or a house or a mobile home - or all three.

I have yet to be shown that the demands of each cannot be met by one device. Grifth has demonstrated it is entirely possible.

Please define why Grifth and I do not have a facility suitable for all three applications.

I am unable to accept that a significant investment in a Lithium power bank is in any way sensible when the resource can also be used in other 'locations'. Not everyone has bulging wallets and deep pockets - so why not be environmentally friendly and accept that some people think a bit further than the pontoon and plan for lithium in more that one location. We already power some of out kitchen power using our investment and we can take the whole arrangement apart and instal it in a yacht or a motor home, of shack on a beach or recharge, slowly, an EV

Quite why this has upset you, and others, is a bit of a mystery - but maybe you all have bulging wallets - which must be very nice - but seems to ensure you don't like innovation and thinking 'outside the box'. I just see a wasted resource.

Grifth's post must have really upset you.

Jonathan

Paul, as you are rich you will have time on your hands - please find me a post that I made that defines that my interest in Lithium was exclusively for a yacht. You may have assumed it was for a yacht, understandable as my posts are in a sailing forum - but as I think the technical demands overlap - I need to know if the yacht requirements CAN actually overlap those of terrestrial applications. To date I cannot find any reason for thinking that a marine installation cannot be transferred to terra firms - partially confirmed by Mainesail aka Rod but definitely confirmed by Grifth's developments - which as I say must have raised your hackles.

Take care, relax - embrace wider thinking.

J

Last edited: