Cordless Polishing machine

pvb

Visit site
Reading the info on the Meguias 45 "Polish" tells the story as to what that produce does.

Meguiar’s #45 Marine/RV Polish is designed for the special needs of boats and RVs. Because both boats and RVs are made of fiberglass, they have a porous gel coat. This polish is designed to penetrate the pores and remove contamination while depositing nourishing oils. These oils wet the gel coat to create a rich, vibrant shine. Once you apply a coat of Meguiar’s #56 Boat/RV Pure Wax, your boat or RV will have a high gloss shine that withstands the elements, even salt water.

This is not a filling the pores of the GRP , deep cleaning the GRP then filling the pores with an "oil". This is like waxing as you say which adds a smooth layer on top of the GRP. The waxing of the next produce in the range also adds a layer of protective material that also makes the surface shiny.

Polish is a general term for getting a shiny surface. Burnishing is also a way to get a shiny surface without removing material

Pedantic mode off

Painting with a gloss paint can also give a shiny service and painting is not considered polishing.

Seems you agree with me that Meguiars 45 Polish is non-abrasive, and that polishing is a term for getting a shiny surface. It doesn't have to involve removing gelcoat.

Elessar

Visit site
I think there's some confusion over the word "polishing". In metalwork, polishing is an abrasive process. The "polish" we typically use on our boats is non-abrasive. If there are scratches or imperfections in the gelcoat, an abrasive compound is used before polishing.

I ise Meguiars 45 Polish, which totally non-abrasive, followed by Meguiars 56 Wax, which again is totally non-abrasive. If the surface requires correction before polishing, I use Meguiars 44 Colour Restorer, which is very slightly abrasive.

I think you’re wrong. Polishing IS an abrasive process. It’s Halfords and co that have confused things. Polish then add a sealing coat of wax or whatever you choose.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Seems you agree with me that Meguiars 45 Polish is non-abrasive, and that polishing is a term for getting a shiny surface. It doesn't have to involve removing gelcoat.

To a point as several methods of getting a specular reflection.

Chemical, Vapor and flame polishing do not generally require the removal of material.

Metal polishing generally does. Polishing of GRP can also mean removing material depending on the base surface specular reflection.

Burnishing of metal gives a specular reflection and does not involve the removal of material.

As I said painting or varnishing also has the same effect and this is like the non abrasive "polish" you use is adding to the surface to make it shiny.

Would you call painting or varnishing polishing it ha the same effect.

Its just the work polishing has a very general meaning depends on what you are talking about and the marketing hype you wish to create.

pvb

Visit site
I think you’re wrong. Polishing IS an abrasive process.

The point I'm trying to make is that it doesn't have to be an abrasive process. Some polishes contain mild abrasives; some are totally non-abrasive. I use non-abrasive polish. If I want to correct parts of the gelcoat surface, I use a very mild abrasive product before applying the polish.

Marine Reflections

hullgel.co.uk
I have a heavy corded polishing machine which really isn't very pleasant to use on vertical surfaces. I was thinking a cordless machine would do the job a lot easier.

Can anyone recommend a machine that would be good for polishing and cutting back the topsides? I am not too keen on the machines where I have to use two hands all the time i.e. a machine with two handles (funnily enough!).

Ta.

There are decent cordless polishing machines that have been out a while, Flex are the better ones IMHO.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCgcocXqxJc

The machine weight is not the main source of fatigue, the grip/fight between surface and machine interface pad is.
Start machine polishing a rough/oxidised surface way before it's prepared and you'll have a fight on your hands.
Correct technique and surface prep will reduce the friction.

To reduce the weight of the machine by means of bungy suspension is tempting (given I'm sometimes polishing for 10 hours a day for several days on end) this however, has never seemed like a good idea to me. If this works for you, then more power to you.

To polish a surface and to add polish to a surface both seem the right terminology, however it's confusing as to the meaning of polish in this demand. One is a process and the other a product.
When the product claims to do the process, you can see how the confusion arises.

Marine Reflections

hullgel.co.uk
My understanding is - polishing removes some of the gelcoat (and I think this is what PVB refers to), maybe only a few microns, but in the long term - yes its shiny -

but what other benefits are there?

Serious question

Jonathan

Forgetting looks for a moment, the main benefit is the durability of the surface and the ease of maintenance.

With 1000 microns to a mm there's room for refinement when needed. What is ironic is a gel coat surface that has not been polished through fear of reduction; is probably one that is going to erode faster due to more surface area being exposed.
The highs and lows of a rough surface allow more exposure to oxygen and UV, where a flat/uniformed/polished surface will be reflective and tighter.
This is also an advantage when contaminates want to stick to the surface. A rough gel coat will hold, a reflective and highly polished one will reject that bit easier. One may be forced into using harsher chemicals to wash with and in turn this also speeds up the breakdown of the surface.

To offer surface correction or not depends on if the surface requires it. If it doesn't, then it would be foolish to perform.
Provided the surface hasn't in its past suffered heavily from oxidation and is in a good reflective condition, there's no need for correctional polishing on a regular basis.

PVB is in a great situation, he has the surface where he wants it and he maintains it gently. This is the goal.

Last edited: