Changing to change speed?

waynes world

Visit site
Not much up on outboards and props so this could be a barmy idea. I have an old Buckingham 20 cruiser, no power boat. I have been told as i will be wanting to go to sea with it, very coastal i will be best with a 60hp, Along with sea use i will be taking it on river/lakes and canals therefore the speeds wand power needed will be a lot less. It would be fine with a 15hp for that game.

( at first i was planning on a 30hp actually as main engine with 5hp aux )

My thought, can i changed the prop for sea use and others. Just then no need for a smaller engine for non sea use, although i will be getting an aux engine aswell as back up for all occasions.

Your thoughts on my thoughts please :)

Topcat47

Visit site
The Buckingham 20 is a river cruiser. As such a 15hp might be a little over the top as most inland waterways are speed limited. Looking at the photographs on the web, nothing on earth would tempt me to fit a 60hp. It doesn't look strong enough. For estuary work, you might consider a 20, as there's a fair bit of windage.

If you were to post this on the Mobo forum, you might find someone with more detailed knowledge of the boat than me but I have only seen them on canals or on the broads and darned few of them. They seem to be typically light construction and I"d certainly not consider them suitable for coastal work, were i in the market for a similar boat.

sarabande

Visit site
Please don't take her to sea; she'll tip over. You can't alter the hull form and cofG and metacentric height and all the other naval architectural words which are used to differentiate a seagoing boat from a fresh water one.

You've clearly got the "bug" and the skills to make it happen, so finish your present boat, polish her up, sell and buy a bigger project - there are always tons on ebay.

waynes world

Visit site
The Buckingham 20 is a river cruiser. As such a 15hp might be a little over the top as most inland waterways are speed limited. Looking at the photographs on the web, nothing on earth would tempt me to fit a 60hp. It doesn't look strong enough. For estuary work, you might consider a 20, as there's a fair bit of windage.

If you were to post this on the Mobo forum, you might find someone with more detailed knowledge of the boat than me but I have only seen them on canals or on the broads and darned few of them. They seem to be typically light construction and I"d certainly not consider them suitable for coastal work, were i in the market for a similar boat.

When i first got the boat planned on an 10hp as all my other boats have been 26 foot cruisers with 5-8hp and they went along fine, but only on canals, as i want to venture onto rives now i want a bit more safety if needed so when i built the boat the transom was bad i beefed it up from how the original was..

Buckingham for Rivers and canal use only, please don't risk it in the sea.

In the sales brochure of some near 40 years ago though it actually states it is a canal/ river and coastal boat.

Please don't take her to sea; she'll tip over. You can't alter the hull form and cofG and metacentric height and all the other naval architectural words which are used to differentiate a seagoing boat from a fresh water one.

You've clearly got the "bug" and the skills to make it happen, so finish your present boat, polish her up, sell and buy a bigger project - there are always tons on ebay.

No worrries then , i will take heed, as said all my boats have been cruisers and i just fancy bobbing around in a few harbours or estuaries, maybe around coves etc, but as we know seas can be unsafe even a few hundred yards out. And as we speak i look at the next project much to T`s annoyance :)

Water ski then?

Dont think they would appreciate that on the L&L canal :)

I will post on the MoBo section for engine suggestions as advice above.

Have a good day all :)

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
When i first got the boat planned on an 10hp as all my other boats have been 26 foot cruisers with 5-8hp and they went along fine, but only on canals, as i want to venture onto rives now i want a bit more safety if needed so when i built the boat the transom was bad i beefed it up from how the original was..

In the sales brochure of some near 40 years ago though it actually states it is a canal/ river and coastal boat.

No worrries then , i will take heed, as said all my boats have been cruisers and i just fancy bobbing around in a few harbours or estuaries, maybe around coves etc, but as we know seas can be unsafe even a few hundred yards out. And as we speak i look at the next project much to T`s annoyance :)

Dont think they would appreciate that on the L&L canal :)

I will post on the MoBo section for engine suggestions as advice above.

Have a good day all :)

May I respectfully suggest that once one has adequate HP one gets 'a bit more safety' from reliability rather than more power. A small auxiliary 'get you home' engine gives even more protection and confidence.

None of the above alters the hull design and Sarabande's comments regarding suitability for salt water and exposure to waves and swell etc.

The advertising of the design when it was being built only shows what advertising copywriters will hype up and exaggerate to try and promote sales.

Davegriff

Visit site

Yeah, but they wrote that before the nanny state! Actually loads of us oldies went to sea in very similar boats, I suspect, and most of us are still around. :)

Of course, we always picked the most ideal weather conditions, and usually "cruised" in company, There were the odd accidents, yes, usually due to bad practices, such as overloading, going out in bad weather etc. And radios were extremely rare, but with due care, the world is no-where as dangerous as some would have you believe. Lobster fishermen manage in often smaller, open boats after all.

I now await a flaming from from the "soi-disant" experts. :D

Take care OP, you sound very sensible to me.

waynes world

Visit site
May I respectfully suggest that once one has adequate HP one gets 'a bit more safety' from reliability rather than more power. A small auxiliary 'get you home' engine gives even more protection and confidence.

None of the above alters the hull design and Sarabande's comments regarding suitability for salt water and exposure to waves and swell etc.

The advertising of the design when it was being built only shows what advertising copywriters will hype up and exaggerate to try and promote sales.

I see it best to have two reliable engines, what ever the power of the main engine, an aux is there as there is no room or need for two large engines.

Yeah, but they wrote that before the nanny state! Actually loads of us oldies went to sea in very similar boats, I suspect, and most of us are still around. :)

Of course, we always picked the most ideal weather conditions, and usually "cruised" in company, There were the odd accidents, yes, usually due to bad practices, such as overloading, going out in bad weather etc. And radios were extremely rare, but with due care, the world is no-where as dangerous as some would have you believe. Lobster fishermen manage in often smaller, open boats after all.

I now await a flaming from from the "soi-disant" experts. :D

Take care OP, you sound very sensible to me.

Its a reason i thought/think it will be ok in the sea, as aid will not be going out far ata all, 1/4 mile at the most. I see boats very similar to mine, river cruisers but not Buckinghams.

20hp should be more than enough for coastal use and the boat will be OK in moderate conditions. You should the see the wrecks that my old club used to go out in 30 years ago!!!

If the swell is above 12inch i would not go out,and as soon as it is if i amount i need the 60hp to get me back fast lol

The reason i want to spend a bit of time on the sea is when we went down Devon to, we stopped on the caravan site o the harbour view pitch at Watermouth Cove. http://explorethecoast.org/waypoint/83, very sheltered harbour.
Wer would be happy to just bob about in the harbour if the weather wasnt good enough for us the venture out.