CE marking.

weustace

Visit site
CE is an interesting marking, because it is mandatory to apply it to most (if not, many) commercial products, and is very widely duplicated. The "China Export" mark is frequently seen on electronics, and one can imagine most people would easily be tricked into believing it is the genuine EC mark. It should be noted that, on purely anecdotal evidence, it seems the genuine CE mark is not infrequently applied where it shouldn't be, and, even where the manufacturer/importer has gone through the correct procedure, this is often a self-certification process. For radio transmitters, they must involve a Notified Body, but the Notified Body's role can often be boiled down to inspecting the design, from my reading of the April '09 "Guide to the R&TTE Directive 1999/5/EC".

Although in theory prison time can be issued for incorrect marking, I have been (admittedly with a fairly cursory Google) unable to find a single prosecution in the UK under the R&TTE directive. In reality, are Chinese manufacturers likely to be prosecuted? No. The importers are liable, and many of these will be fairly small LLCs with little capital, so I don't know how this would pan out if, say, a fatal accident occurred due to a non-compliant radio wiping out Ch16.

UPDATE: in 2008/9, according to http://www.southgatearc.org/news/may2010/ofcom_prosecutions.htm, there were 4 people prosecuted for RTTE breaches, with total costs+fines of £13450. So there is some action taken... reassuring to hear!

MM5AHO

Visit site
I remember when Chinese made meant cheap plastic toys (late 50's and 1960s), and some had a label "Made in USA". Seems they'd named an area of China that in those days to make it true that these products were made in USA.

Heckler

Visit site
I've just found this:
http://www.icomuk.co.uk/News_Article/3794/17103/
Normally I wouldn't take any notice but as this is Icom I think I'll start looking more closely!
Allan
There used to be a salesman who I understand had something to do with a major manufacturer on here. He used to post stuff like this!
Self serving protectionism is my view!
He used to say we shouldn't buy radios from the States because they werent certified, that the heavens would open and we would suffer hell fire and damnation, or something like that!
Load of cobblers of course, my argument always was that if an American boat came over here, that hell fire and damnation didnt happen as soon as it entered eu waters!
Stu

rotrax

Visit site
I remember when Chinese made meant cheap plastic toys (late 50's and 1960s), and some had a label "Made in USA". Seems they'd named an area of China that in those days to make it true that these products were made in USA.

IIRC " China " was a town in America that had a factory making cups and saucers, plates etc. in the late 1800's.

This allowed them to be marked " made in China " as Chinese porcelain was highly valued.

The CE mark issue is certainly not new to me-20 odd years agoan Irish traveller came into our motorbike shop with a very good copy of a Sony palmcorder for sale, clearly CE marked. What let it down was the paperwork, it was obviously a Sexton Blake.

He was not impressed when I showed him proper Sony paperwork that came with genuine stuff.

Blue Sunray

Visit site

Yes of course they did, no one would be stupid enough to repeat a line written for a TV comedy as fact would they?

Visit site
Without self certification a lot of small businesses in the UK wouldn't be able to operate. The "policeman" in the supply chain is often the retailer who will make an effort to ensure the products they buy are to spec.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
There used to be a salesman who I understand had something to do with a major manufacturer on here. He used to post stuff like this!
Self serving protectionism is my view!
He used to say we shouldn't buy radios from the States because they werent certified, that the heavens would open and we would suffer hell fire and damnation, or something like that!
Load of cobblers of course, my argument always was that if an American boat came over here, that hell fire and damnation didnt happen as soon as it entered eu waters!
Stu

I agree. It's like the people who get all edgy over the status of Matsutec AIS systems; AIS is an international standard and I can't imagine the Chinese putting up with systems which widdled all all over it. There might be something to be said for testing devices made in Location A for a system only used in Location B, but, as you say, radios which work fine in the US aren't going to kill us all here.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
IIRC " China " was a town in America that had a factory making cups and saucers, plates etc. in the late 1800's.

This allowed them to be marked " made in China " as Chinese porcelain was highly valued.

My parents had a dinner service made by Wedgwood. Not the Wedgwood, a Wedgwood.

JumbleDuck

Visit site

Stuff made in Hong Kong used to be labelled "Empire Made".

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Yes of course they did, no one would be stupid enough to repeat a line written for a TV comedy as fact would they?

It's a myth, but it doesn't seem to have been written for a TV comedy. There really is a town in Japan (not China) call Usa:

Bkmurhr.png

https://www.snopes.com/business/genius/usa.asp

どういたしまして。

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I used to know someone who told people that he studied in Cambridge.

Anglia Polytechnic does have a campus in Cambridge.

A friend of mine use to tell people that he was studying at "a college in the Midlands" when he didn't want to admit he was at Oxford.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
I used to know someone who told people that he studied in Cambridge.

Anglia Polytechnic does have a campus in Cambridge.

Pete

A friend of mine use to tell people that he was studying at "a college in the Midlands" when he didn't want to admit he was at Oxford.

Anglia Ruskin University has a campus in Cambridge, which used to be the Cambridge College of Arts and Technology when I was a lad. CCAT had a vital position in the life of Cambridge University when I was a student - this was in the days when Cambridge University was heavily male-dominated, so anywhere that had a population of young women was of interest! Homerton (not then a college of the University) and Addenbrookes were the other two places where companionship of the opposite sex could be sought (Newnham, Girton and New Hall (a.k.a. Murray-Edwards) were a tiny minority). It wasn't a factor for me - my college (Churchill) went co-educational in my second year, one of the first three to do so.

It is slightly amusing that it is Anglia Ruskin that is advertized on the sign boards at Cambridge Railway station!

I suppose I could say that I went to a college in East Anglia, but Cambridge graduates don't much care what people think of them :)