CE marking.

ShinyShoe

Visit site
There used to be a salesman who I understand had something to do with a major manufacturer on here. He used to post stuff like this!
Self serving protectionism is my view!
He used to say we shouldn't buy radios from the States because they werent certified, that the heavens would open and we would suffer hell fire and damnation, or something like that!
Load of cobblers of course, my argument always was that if an American boat came over here, that hell fire and damnation didnt happen as soon as it entered eu waters!
Stu
Au contraire...

There were a load of US Imported Icoms plus others (Cobra kack), when Amazon first hit the big internet sales, being imported in that didn't have M1 M2 on them. So while they work on CH16, Mr Icom UK got a fair number of these sent back as "faulty" ...

Some of the Cobra kack was being sold as "water proof" when it was IPx5 at best.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Anglia Ruskin University has a campus in Cambridge, which used to be the Cambridge College of Arts and Technology when I was a lad.

Wasn't CCAT the model for the college in Tom Sharpe's "Wilt" books?

CCAT had a vital position in the life of Cambridge University when I was a student - this was in the days when Cambridge University was heavily male-dominated, so anywhere that had a population of young women was of interest!

This role was fulfilled in Oxford by the "Ox and Cow" (Oxford and County Secretarial College) which supplied twinsetted young ladies for the public school old boys with estates. For everyone else there was Dorset House school of Occupational Therapy, the John Radcliffe Hospital nurses' home, and the Poly Dollies from what now presents itself as Oxford Brookes University.

<wafts away on a haze of reminiscence>

What? What? Where were we? What's happening?

D

Deleted member 36384

The forum reaches a new level tedium. Up next, watching paint dry, will my boot top dry faster than my antifouling.

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
It's not the Solent as much as the four hundred and nineteenth article telling us about the unspoiled charm of Yarmouth as long as you get there before 4pm because otherwise all two hundred visitor berths are full.

4pm? Luxury. We used to dream of getting a berth at 4pm.....

Tranona

Visit site
It's not the Solent as much as the four hundred and nineteenth article telling us about the unspoiled charm of Yarmouth as long as you get there before 4pm because otherwise all two hundred visitor berths are full.

Not sure whether you actually read the mag (YM, that is) as from reading every issue for more years than I dare think about, that is not my impression.

So I checked 10 issues, 5 most recent and 5 from 2013/4 - convenience sample. The articles I defined were those where the location was the focus (rather than a passage to/from or an incident). some are the detailed destination guides that appear in most issues, the rest mostly readers' contributions.

South coast 6 (2 Solent, neither Yarmouth)
South west 7
West 4
East coast 5
Scotland 6
Europe 21 (France 4, Spain 3, Greece 3, Sweden 3)
Rest of the world 7

Perhaps when you have time you can go through your back numbers and identify the 418 articles (or even mentions) of Yarmouth!

weustace

Visit site
Without self certification a lot of small businesses in the UK wouldn't be able to operate. The "policeman" in the supply chain is often the retailer who will make an effort to ensure the products they buy are to spec.

I thoroughly agree—and I wasn't suggesting for a moment that self-certification of compliance should be stopped or was necessarily undesirable. As one who dabbles in electronics, and has looked into the cost of bringing any device requiring Notified Body involvement to market, it seems a job and a half (making the matter of actually developing and marketing such a product look rather trivial by comparison). As somebody said recently to me, "We don't do it because it's easy, we do it because we thought it would be easy!"

My point was that one cannot assume that, just because an import is CE marked (even if from a retailer—I have my doubts about the thoroughness of their investigations in some cases) does not mean it conforms to all of the standards this might imply, but merely that the manufacturers are willing to mark it compliant. This applies even more if buying on eBay from a non-EU country, when you are the importer and therefore responsible for standards compliance.

Apologies for de-drifting the thread...temporarily I'm sure. EDIT: I suppose that should be "salvaging"—I felt that might be unduly harsh!

cliveshelton

Visit site
Apologies for de-drifting the thread...temporarily I'm sure. EDIT: I suppose that should be "salvaging"—I felt that might be unduly harsh!

Thanks for “de-drifting” at last. I used to own and run a notified body (not R&TTE though). This is, in my opinion, a “non story”. I am not aware of a competing / alternative CE mark meaning “Chinese Export”. The use of this (slightly wrong) mark on Chinese products is probably simply because someone, somewhere has told a Chinese exporter that products supplied in the EU need to bear the mark. He has used the wrong format without understanding the rules behind the “new approach” EU Directives. Nothing more. I’m willing to be corrected of course but I don’t see this as “scandalous”.

weustace

Visit site
Thanks for “de-drifting” at last. I used to own and run a notified body (not R&TTE though). This is, in my opinion, a “non story”. I am not aware of a competing / alternative CE mark meaning “Chinese Export”. The use of this (slightly wrong) mark on Chinese products is probably simply because someone, somewhere has told a Chinese exporter that products supplied in the EU need to bear the mark. He has used the wrong format without understanding the rules behind the “new approach” EU Directives. Nothing more. I’m willing to be corrected of course but I don’t see this as “scandalous”.

I have certainly seen the "China Export" mark on various products—interestingly the only think I could find on my desk with such a marking was a genuine (Chinese-made) Microsoft brand mouse. I haven't measured it, but I believe it is the "China Export" branding—probably because somebody used the wrong graphic resource and nobody noticed. The mouse must be 10 years old at least...works a treat. I agree there is almost certainly no set of standards under this name—just an appropriation of CEN.

The costs I referred to were not so much for "Technical Construction File" based certification but for R&TTE testing—if external RF testing is required I would imagine this is a sizeable cost of business for any small electronics firm (not ever having run one or generated a technical file/Declaration of Conformity for CEN).

zikzik

Visit site
As suggested. There is no China Export mark. If a producer anywhere wants to cheat, there is ready access to the correct mark. Its a myth or fake story.
No producer outside of the EU can be prosecuted by the EU for failure to comply with EU norms - which the CE mark signifies compliance - bacause responsibility to conform lies solely with the producer, only if inside the EU, or the first importer to the EU. That could be a retailer, if they source direct from, say, China. Or you if you buy a widget from HK through ebay (assuming it comes from there and not from a UK warehouse. In which case of course it is whoever imported it to there).
These are long standing rules. My business has been dealing with this and importing stuff for more than 20 years. The stories keep resurfacing though. Probably because fake product is illegally made and imported. Mostly from China.

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
It has taken a long time and considerable expense to assure us and our customers that our products should not be CE marked. They are used extensively during the construction phase of tall buildings but do not form a permanent part of the building. So in the meaning of the Construction Products Directive they are not construction products.

If they meet the definition then it is illegal not to mark them but if they don't then it is illegal to mark them. When I initially contacted BSI for help with the definition they told me "Only the courts can decide that". We have a written opinion from an expert in the field but ultimately you can't prove a negative. Perhaps the system could have been better designed.