Generator issues....again

Seastoke

Visit site
I don't think so Seastoke. I would still need to disconnect everything in front of the genny because of how crowded it is down there. But I might be able to get a bit of movement and turn it slightly perhaps? At that point it's nearly out so it's a tricky one!
If you move batts etc could you set your phone on camera then blue tooth to iPad so you can see your hands .

Meps1983

Visit site
The camera set up isn't a bad idea. I can link my gopro with my phone for better viewing. But I am starting to think I can unbolt the genny and get enough movement to get a better run at the carb, without disconnecting everything.
Carb cleaners are readily available in aerosol Bouba which is why I asked if pumping a load into the fuel line (just after fuel pump) which might help my issues?? Then leave over night maybe.
As I said in an earlier post the genny only has 18 hrs run time on so it's still new as far as I'm concerned.

Bouba

Visit site
The camera set up isn't a bad idea. I can link my gopro with my phone for better viewing. But I am starting to think I can unbolt the genny and get enough movement to get a better run at the carb, without disconnecting everything.
Carb cleaners are readily available in aerosol Bouba which is why I asked if pumping a load into the fuel line (just after fuel pump) which might help my issues?? Then leave over night maybe.
As I said in an earlier post the genny only has 18 hrs run time on so it's still new as far as I'm concerned.
You have to read what’s on the tin....but getting the nozzle into the carb should be best...but it all depends on what you can manage to reach

vas

Visit site
depending on carb setup, getting into the line to the carb may not be enough as Bouba says.
Most likely goes to a chamber with a floater on top. filling it all up with juice from the can is debatable and may actually cause more harm than not if it accelerates perishing of gaskets...
I cannot recommend the following but that's what I'd do:
remove air filter, get some of that stuff and the other easy start crap and start spraying and trying to start until it runs and then when it hunts throw some more of what works to manage and get it running for a while hoping it will sort it self out.
However I'd not do that in an e/r of a petrol boat, not worth it!
You seem to be too worried with disconnecting 2 of the 3 pipes, exhaust and intake. find the seacock for the intake, close it (hope it does!) and undo the circlip, job done. exhaust similar, safer as unless you do something silly you wont fill the boat with water! then pull the whole thing out and work on it on the deck... hope it's not 100+ kg as it makes the exercise a bit difficult

V.

Bouba

Visit site
depending on carb setup, getting into the line to the carb may not be enough as Bouba says.
Most likely goes to a chamber with a floater on top. filling it all up with juice from the can is debatable and may actually cause more harm than not if it accelerates perishing of gaskets...
I cannot recommend the following but that's what I'd do:
remove air filter, get some of that stuff and the other easy start crap and start spraying and trying to start until it runs and then when it hunts throw some more of what works to manage and get it running for a while hoping it will sort it self out.
However I'd not do that in an e/r of a petrol boat, not worth it!
You seem to be too worried with disconnecting 2 of the 3 pipes, exhaust and intake. find the seacock for the intake, close it (hope it does!) and undo the circlip, job done. exhaust similar, safer as unless you do something silly you wont fill the boat with water! then pull the whole thing out and work on it on the deck... hope it's not 100+ kg as it makes the exercise a bit difficult

V.
Yes….just to confirm I am talking about carb cleaners…I also would definitely not use easy start in a boat

ashtead

Visit site
Is it possible to buy a new carb for the unit and at what price? You could fit a new carb and see if it runs ? Then the old one could be cleaned etc as a spare as I guess it might happen again in a year or so?

Bouba

Visit site
I think the OP is going to be well upset if it turns out it isn’t the carburettor

vas

Visit site
well, he has to do some tests, remove sparkplugs, see condition, see if they produce any spark (should do if it starts and stops tbh!) and then proceed.
However, if he has access to remove the carb, might as well, remove and clean instead of buying a new one... seems excessive to me. I understand the struggle is to reach these components...

Bouba

Visit site
well, he has to do some tests, remove sparkplugs, see condition, see if they produce any spark (should do if it starts and stops tbh!) and then proceed.
However, if he has access to remove the carb, might as well, remove and clean instead of buying a new one... seems excessive to me. I understand the struggle is to reach these components...
If he can remove the plug...look down the bore with an endoscope while turning over the engine by hand...that also might be useful....I’ve seen small motorbike piston burnt through using the wrong plug

Seastoke

Visit site
We all know it’s the carb, while he is down there he needs to fit a fuel isolator so he can let the geny run out of petrol . Also if you get fuel in the bilge don’t ask Bouba or advice

Last edited:

Meps1983

Visit site
This is a pic I took last autumn when I went after the fuel pump and filter as I took the first battery out.
20230321_145052.jpg
As you can see, there's a fair bit packed in there. After looking at pics and chatting with you guys I'm thinking the best option is to get it out. I'm hoping it's the carb and an easy fix, but if it's not, it's already out for a mechanic to look at. To get it out I'm thinking that by removing both batterys, probably the ac pump on the bottom right i might be able to wriggle it free.
Vas. You mentioned earlier I'm worried about disconnecting the genny itself, I'm worried about the lot lol! Its more of a confidence thing to be honest. But chatting with you forumites it has encouraged me to get stuck in and get the thing out!
I spoke to a mechanical minded pal earlier and he said to steer clear of carb cleaner on a boat with 150ltrs of petrol nearby!!
Parts for this genny (westerbeke 3.0kw) are not easy to come by and what I can find is from the US for big £££
Thanks again for the replies/advice

Bouba

Visit site
This is a pic I took last autumn when I went after the fuel pump and filter as I took the first battery out.
View attachment 182551
As you can see, there's a fair bit packed in there. After looking at pics and chatting with you guys I'm thinking the best option is to get it out. I'm hoping it's the carb and an easy fix, but if it's not, it's already out for a mechanic to look at. To get it out I'm thinking that by removing both batterys, probably the ac pump on the bottom right i might be able to wriggle it free.
Vas. You mentioned earlier I'm worried about disconnecting the genny itself, I'm worried about the lot lol! Its more of a confidence thing to be honest. But chatting with you forumites it has encouraged me to get stuck in and get the thing out!
I spoke to a mechanical minded pal earlier and he said to steer clear of carb cleaner on a boat with 150ltrs of petrol nearby!!
Parts for this genny (westerbeke 3.0kw) are not easy to come by and what I can find is from the US for big £££
Thanks again for the replies/advice
How much does it weigh ?

Seastoke

Visit site
Just looking don’t leave the battery terminals lying about ,you dont want any sparks. Also when working leave the vent fan on.

Reactions: vas