Campbeltown Visit

Visit site
Proper old school curry on the sea front . None of that square plates and chrome seats nonsense. Sticky carpet, flock wallpaper and jingly jangly soundtrack.Recomended.
Watching the Stenna HSS roar past a few times a day I often wonder why the Gov don't slip them a few bob to stop off at the town on a few runs. Might bring a few folks into town as it really is a bit of a dead end street(in terms of the drive) if you are touring Scotland.

Quandary

Visit site
Proper old school curry on the sea front . None of that square plates and chrome seats nonsense. Sticky carpet, flock wallpaper and jingly jangly soundtrack.Recomended.
Watching the Stenna HSS roar past a few times a day I often wonder why the Gov don't slip them a few bob to stop off at the town on a few runs. Might bring a few folks into town as it really is a bit of a dead end street(in terms of the drive) if you are touring Scotland.

Stena HSS? in Campbeltown Loch? are you sure you weren't coming out of the Distillery when you spotted it?

Quandary

Visit site
For those who have advised avoiding Campbeltown there are a few other N. Channel and West Coast ports with a similar downmarket ambience which you might also want to miss - Stranraer, Ardrossan, Ayr, Port Ellen, Carradale, Ardrishaig, Carrickfergus, Larne, Carnlough, Rathlin, Loch Aline, Mallaig.
Recommended ports for sensitive yachties -
Troon, Largs, Kip, Inveraray, Bangor, Crinan, Ardfern, Croabh Haven, Tobermory: you will be comfortable among your own people there, the working classes will mainly be Australian or Estonian serving the tourist industry and the drunks will mostly be indoors.
Portpatrick is in both camps, depending on the time of the week and the weather in the N. Channel.

srm

Visit site
Went in twice in the early 80's - anchored off the pier both times - very very very quiet. How things must have changed. We were the only 'yacht' in sight on both visits.

As to youths in their cars on a Saturday night - seems to be a feature of anywhere with a road and a few houses, but then having our own boats we are free to go elsewhere . . . .

awol

Visit site
For those who have advised avoiding Campbeltown there are a few other N. Channel and West Coast ports with a similar downmarket ambience which you might also want to miss - Stranraer, Ardrossan, Ayr, Port Ellen, Carradale, Ardrishaig, Carrickfergus, Larne, Carnlough, Rathlin, Loch Aline, Mallaig.
Troon, Largs, Kip, Inveraray, Bangor, Crinan, Ardfern, Croabh Haven, Tobermory: you will be comfortable among your own people there, the working classes will mainly be Australian or Estonian serving the tourist industry and the drunks will mostly be indoors.
Portpatrick is in both camps, depending on the time of the week and the weather in the N. Channel.

Now in which camp would you classify Rothesay and Millport?

I think part of the C'town problem is the locals are nae overfond of weejies.

awol

Visit site
I just want to say its the |LAST time I go ashore in that awful place, Campbeltown.....................wearing my smart yachting cap, blazer and white flannels.

A "blazer"? Nae wonder you had problems and it was probably from other yachties. Only the English lower middle classes wear blazers - proper yachties wear reefer jackets (with black buttons, of course).
Next time try wearing a green and white hooped shirt.

Visit site
Next time try wearing a green and white hooped shirt.

Is that the Celtic shirt? If so what is the significance of it so far from Glasgow? Is it a religious thing - are the Cambeltown natives all papists? Or what?

I assume it would be dodgy to wear anything remotely English

Quandary

Visit site
Is that the Celtic shirt? If so what is the significance of it so far from Glasgow? Is it a religious thing - are the Cambeltown natives all papists? Or what?

I assume it would be dodgy to wear anything remotely English

Perhaps its humour? In Scotland? naw!

Tommyrot

yuan-hang.blogspot.com

Thanks, it will be useful to be able to avoid the "snotty yotty" areas if I ever make it that far. :)

fmoran

Visit site
This blog has turned really nasty. Why people cannot respect other people honest input - both good and bad - rather than turn it into a "yachtie" or anti-english ramble. I sail, almost always anchor if I can, would not call myself a "yachtie" after 50 years, and have my views - both good and bad for places from the Scillies to Sky. People can then form their own opinion after trying.

Quandary

Visit site
I live in a West coast village, I keep a yacht here, I have to work to ensure that I am not lumped in with the term 'yachtie' which is a common part of the local vocabulary. The locals use it as a slightly jokey term of disparagement. Because they meet all kinds of visiting sailors from all over Europe every day in summer they probably know what they are talking about. Those of us whose hobby is sailing seem happy to be disparaging about the locals in places like Campbeltown, it would do no harm to occasionally pause to consider what they might think of us.
I suspect the post regarded as anti-english was meant to be a joke, having digs at the English is part of life here, they are everywhere and run everything, usually retired with superflous time and energy they regard the laid back local as lethargic or indolent. I don't think the same applied to the anti Kintyre local posts but it serves to perpetuate stereotypes of both sailors and yachties. To go with 'yachtie' we have 'blow in', 'white settler' and other choice terms which might also be considered offensive.
This is not a zoo, it is where people live and work the year round, they may have lower incomes and different lifestyles from the more 'sophisticated' visitors but it is what makes them interesting, why not try to intergrate with them, you might enjoy it. For a start try saying 'Hello' or even 'Hi'; in country areas like here it is considered very bad form to ignore a greeting, though I realize it is the norm in most cities. (by the way in Argyll when someone says 'see you later' it just means 'goodbye', the latter is used for a permanent separation.
You will experience irony in a lot of the conversation on the West coast, it is done to add some interest not to cause offence and you are expected to enjoy it. If you take the right attitude you might begin to enjoy the people as much as the scenery, I think they are great, but far from perfect.