Campbeltown Visit

claymore

Visit site
Campbeltown

Don't really understand what any of the above comments are about. I think Campbeltown is great place. I've been very glad to get in there at times, the shops are fine, there is a chandler, some good places to eat and plenty of places to walk. I have been embarrassed there by the behaviour of the Dicks on their yachts from time to time - small people.

Billjratt

Visit site
We use Campbelltown regularly on our way to/from the west coast or Ireland.
Years ago I installed "the computer" which was a first for most of the locals. I spent a lot of time there and received nothing but the best of hospitality and generousity. It was a pleasure to work there and I looked forward to it.
That was in the 70's, Paul M was (allegedly) growing happyweed on his local farm and all was well with the world.
However, the winds of change seem to have breathed halitosis on the place since then.
I sense a depressed population, not looking forward to tomorrow.
People walk with eyes cast down as opposed to their Irish counterparts, who give to, and expect casual greetings from, passers by.
There's no evil or malevolance that I can report, just a lack of the spark which gives a place the vitality that we enjoy being part of... And it is a bit grey looking.
Apart from the yellow pound shop that is.

pagoda

Visit site
Don't really understand what any of the above comments are about. I think Campbeltown is great place. I've been very glad to get in there at times, the shops are fine, there is a chandler, some good places to eat and plenty of places to walk. I have been embarrassed there by the behaviour of the Dicks on their yachts from time to time - small people.

quite agree. Campbeltown might just have one pontoon but it's safe in almost any weather and people make a living from the sea in the place...
It also used to do some interesting malts.
If pretentious in Cambeltown is a 320i .. then chill out ..so be it? the same applies to a lot of small real world towns.

Graeme

Ubergeekian

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbri
www.drmegaphone.com
We use Campbelltown regularly on our way to/from the west coast or Ireland.

My sister and I spent three or four very happy days in Campbeltown about 20 years ago, waiting for the weather to let us around the Mull. It was a nice plae with friendly and helpful locals. I went back a few times for work and found it nice then as well. I'm with Quandary (I think) - when I go sailing I want to go to real places, not hop nervously around from gated marina community to gated marina community.

Billjratt

Visit site
Aaahhh - the Springbank

Part of the installation of "the computer" involved a session in the Machrihanish golf club, which had a wee barrel of Springbank on the counter(bar).
It appeared to be impossible to empty, so we concluded that it was directly connected to the distillery.
All diagnostics ran perfectly next day, but there were some minor comms problems...

Spyro

Visit site
Just the locals :)

I think I may have to take some responsibility for setting this post off in a bad direction. My comment was made mostly tongue in cheek and I do apologise to anyone who found it offensive. I have only stayed for 1 short night in Campbelltown so didn't get the full experience. However I did spend some time last year just up the road a bit in Tarbert and did find some of the locals extremely unpleasant especially the one who was last seen being carted off in the back of a police van.
Sadly there are usually a few in most places that give the rest a bad name especially if you hang around pubs until chucking out time on a Fri or Sat night. Maybe I'll have to change my habits if I want to meet nicer people.

Looking forward to my next visit to Campbelltown so that I can give a truer account :eek::eek::eek:

Ian

SAMYL

Visit site
We arrived into Campbelltown late one night after the eateries were closed, even the Chinese. Eventually made our way to the hotel up the street, The White Horse I think, but the kitchens were closed there too.
We had a couple of drinks and moaned to the barman who dissappeared and returned ten mins later with three big pizzas from the kitchen and refused any payment for them. What a star :) We went back the next night and had a full meal, at our expence of course.

So if you are ever in Campbelltown go to the hotel and give them some trade and recount my story. They were great. :D

Visit site
This blog has turned really nasty. Why people cannot respect other people honest input - both good and bad - rather than turn it into a "yachtie" or anti-english ramble.

I'm not sure I would call it "nasty" but it is noticeable that a discussion of the merits of Cambeltown turns into a lengthy argument when discussions of places south of the border would not. Responses immediately evoke class and accusations of snobbery and the usual anti English sentiments.

awol

Visit site
I'm not sure I would call it "nasty" but it is noticeable that a discussion of the merits of Cambeltown turns into a lengthy argument when discussions of places south of the border would not. Responses immediately evoke class and accusations of snobbery and the usual anti English sentiments.

It has been said that the Scots are a well balanced nation with a chip on both shoulders but methinks you are heading the same way. I see little argument - there are simply those that find C'town an honest, pleasant place and those who don't, the latter seem to include yourself.

The "immediate" evocation of class covers 2 posts - post #24 mentioning "working class" and my post #29 in response to a jocular reference to a previous sartorial thread. "Snobbery" seems to be a valid accusation to remarks like
One of the most depressing places I've ever sailed into. Gives you an insight into why people like Broon are what they are.
As for "anti-English" - you're a tad sensitive. For real anti-English sentiment I borrow from the late great Spike Milligan -
Why does the rest of the world take an instant dislike to the English? (Answer at the end of the post).

Me, I like the place. I've berthed, eaten, drank, showered, slept, been ministered to by the cottage hospital having been given a lift there in a police car (I asked the way and they took me there), played pool and enjoyed the people I've met and that's over several visits going back to the days of Davy's navy and the St Columba.

To save time!

Tex

Visit site
As the one who started this thread I can now report that I have now visited the place and will definately be back.

Only downside of stay was that SWMBO proved she could inflate the dinghy without having to use my expensive electric pump !

andymcp

Visit site
Tex, glad you enjoyed it - if it was during the last week you probably had plenty of activity at the pontoon as the local boats popped back and forth for odds and ends after lift-in. What was the new bright orange/yellow (? - it was night time!) marker on the way to the pontoon? I assume it is related to the Scottish Water works?

There are apparently now plans and funding to dredge the inner harbour for better pontoons and general access although that will be a few years in the making. Meantime, for good food the chinese/chippy is good for both, head towards the pool then up the side street and it's at the end on the right. If a bus ride or taxi isn't any problem, the food at the old Beachcomber Inn at Machrihanish is now superb, and the whole area there has had a massive makeover in general. Thankfully, the same lot that own that also own the hotel at the top of the current pontoon, and apparently now have the funding and permission to push on with overhauling that place too which will be a real bonus if they do it to the same standard as the golf course. The new pool is a great place for showers, a coffee and a swim.

Since Mrs McP hails from the town, I'd better not make any negative comments. :)

RabT

Visit site
any changes from last year?

Hello,

I am hoping to get to Campbeltown this weekend -despite the snobby comments. I will probably be single-handed in a long keel (27').

Any tips or advice re berthing, entrance, local pubs/restaurants, etc much welcome. Is it likely I will have to raft alongside?

AllanJ

Visit site
As the one who started this thread I can now report that I have now visited the place and will definately be back.

Well done. As Werner Braun Braun is credited with saying, "One experiment is worth a thousand expert opinions".

We stopped at Campbelltown en route to Islay (from Largs) last year. We stayed two nights rather than one because we liked it so much, and stayed a night on the return leg. Never saw any trouble and enjoyed watching the commercial activity at the adjacent pier, the CG removing a poor chap with a broken leg from a yacht (no, it wasn't the locals that had inflicted it :) ).

I am never that bothered when places I like to visit are criticised; helps to keep them quiet.

asteven221

Visit site
Lots of the usual snobby 'yachty' rubbish above, its surprising that they allow visiting yachts in at all. It an isolated town over 3hrs. from Glasgowand the locals are farmers or fishermen and the rest build wind turbines (hardly anyone distils there now) The local kids are into cars and tend to meet at the end of the pier in the evening. But if you try being pleasant even if you are dressed up as a yachty most everyone is friendly, drunk or sober.
There is a good swimming pool, a museum, a historic cinema and the Ardshiel has a great bar and does good food. You are discouraged from rafting up more than two deep on the pier side of the pontoon so as not to obstruct the lifeboat but there is always space even in July. The yellow buoys are private moorings, they all look the same because they were recently moved by Scottish Water.

I agree. We've been loads of times over the years and never had any problems and enjoyed our stay. Can't really see the reason for all the jibes frankly. Yes the youngsters buzz about in their hot hatches, but so what. As for the drunks? I have not witnessed any more than you see in many other isolated town and considerably less than you will see in any of our cities and big town centres. I have never seen any trouble or seen any tense situations giving me the impression somethings going to kick off. I would say ignore the people slagging the place, go along and see for yourself.

andymcp

Visit site
Hello,

I am hoping to get to Campbeltown this weekend -despite the snobby comments. I will probably be single-handed in a long keel (27').

Any tips or advice re berthing, entrance, local pubs/restaurants, etc much welcome. Is it likely I will have to raft alongside?
Berthing is pretty straightforwards on the pontoon - as long as you don't need to swing round before tying alongside. If you do, aim for the port hand side (as you approach) as the starboard side shallows noticeably. Usually a few local boats tied along the place, so rafting not unusual. Also, I believe the fast RIB to Ireland runs Fri-Mon so there might be a bit of activity around and worth looking out for where they berth (the Troon one usually berths far in towards the gangplank on the starboard side of the pontoon as you approach).

Unfortunately you'll be there before the Royal at the top of the gangway has completed its renovations. But the same group have done up what used to the the Beachcomber at Machrihanish and it's a lovely place to eat. There's regular buses to/from Machrihanish - bus stance is outside the cracking pool building just east of the pontoon, you really can't miss it. Last time I was there we ate (very well) at the Ardshiel, but we were a group so not had a regular pub dinner there for a while. Most of the pubs are ok, I can't remember the name of the square off the main street but there are a couple of pubs there I usually frequent when we're down and they always provide a decent lively atmosphere.

The guy that runs the pontoons is a bit nary about making sure you've paid (even when there are not payment envelopes left and he hasn't said where else you can drop off the money). Decent enough bloke but not always on the ball - I usually ask at the RNLI place about where I can pay if there's any problems.

maxi77

Visit site
I have visited Cambletown many times over the last nearly 50 years. My transport has been variously a 1928 Austin 12 first registered in Argyll, various submarines and various yachts. I have always been made welcome ( except perhaps by the Wee Free bouncers who guarded the DRY dancehall) and had a good time.