Bavaria Info Forum

Ricd

Visit site
Hi

Anybody here use this forum? It seems to have disappeared, server not responding! Is it just me?

Ricd

Visit site
Thanks A1 I knew that but it was up and running Saturday night and since then :

This site can’t be reached

www.bavariayacht.info took too long to respond.

Seemed strange so I was just questioning whether I had corrupted my access in some way.

Cheers

Bobc

Visit site
It is down. If anyone knows how I can contact Ingmar, please can you let me know (or let him know to contact me).

JumbleDuck

Visit site
www.bavariayacht.info took too long to respond.

The domain appears to have expired.

jumbleduck@desktop:~$ whois bavariayacht.info
Domain Name: BAVARIAYACHT.INFO
Registry Domain ID: D40144114-LRMS
Registrar WHOIS Server:
Registrar URL: www.domainmonster.com
Updated Date: 2017-08-20T01:53:36Z
Creation Date: 2011-08-15T06:24:06Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2018-08-15T06:24:06Z
[...]
Name Server: NS1.DOMAINHASEXPIRED.COM
Name Server: NS2.DOMAINHASEXPIRED.COM

Yngmar

Visit site
It's currently down. Before Nigel died, he passed on some of the administrative details to me, but it all happened too quickly, so I don't have all of the required logins to even check what exactly is wrong. Most likely the payment method on file simply expired. I've tried to get in touch with Nigel's family, but did not succeed. Therefore I am locked out of the things needed to fully operate and/or restore the domain and host and could only administer the forums while they were still up. If anyone has a contact for Nigel's family, there might be a chance that they have the required passwords or they could be recovered with their aid, although this is a slim chance. If you're reading this, please get in touch with me via PM here or via the contact data I've exchanged with Nigel before.

Otherwise I will have to buy a new domain and set up hosting. I have backups of the forum content, although some of the site will need to be recreated. This is not a problem and I'm happy to front the cost and ask for donations later, but it may take some time as we're currently cruising and internet access is wobbly. It would be nice to keep the original domain or at least a redirect from there, but at worst the forums will live again under a new domain name - I'm determined to keep them going.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
It's currently down. Before Nigel died, he passed on some of the administrative details to me, but it all happened too quickly, so I don't have all of the required logins to even check what exactly is wrong. Most likely the payment method on file simply expired. I've tried to get in touch with Nigel's family, but did not succeed.

Have you tried contacting domainmonster directly for help? Might be worth a go if you haven't.

Yngmar

Visit site
Have you tried contacting domainmonster directly for help? Might be worth a go if you haven't.

Not much point in that. Everyone in the domain business is (rightfully) far too paranoid to give anything to people without the exact authentication. Additionally, it seems domainmonster itself is no more and the companies remains are now owned by 123reg.

On the upside, the host is still up, so I'm currently downloading a final backup of the forum. Bit tedius, as we're at anchor off a beach and using some apartment bungalow wifi which requires me to log in every few minutes. Patience :)

A1Sailor

Visit site
If you have the address of the server the site is on, you should be able to access it. I suspect BavariaYacht.info will just forward to it. If you can, it might be best just to register a new domain name to "point" to the server address then let all the members know.
See this, however:
http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?469761-Please-may-I-have-access

Edit:
OK - you can access the server and have the site url...:encouragement:
Does the hosting company (not the domain name company) have up to date payment details?

Last edited:

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Not much point in that. Everyone in the domain business is (rightfully) far too paranoid to give anything to people without the exact authentication. Additionally, it seems domainmonster itself is no more and the companies remains are now owned by 123reg.

Hmm. I think it might be worth at least asking what information they would need ... though of course they might flat refuse. This sort of thing must happen fairly regularly, though.

By the way, Nigel's wife is mrsnigel on these forums. She hasn't been active for ages, but a PM should generate an email to her.

Yngmar

Visit site
I've set up a new instance and restored a current backup. For the time being, the forums can be found under this memorable URL: http://cf3b0d0326.url-de-test.ws/forum/

Still trying to get in touch to recover what can be recovered. This includes attachments and the domain name.

Failing that I'll have to get creative and invent a new domain name!

Last edited:

wizard

Visit site
Please let those that are interested in keeping this valuable resource going (especially me) know what monies you require for the website.

Visit site
hey Yngmar,

The orginal site name is back up but...

the login function appears to have disappeared and it'f finally forgotten my login details automatically so i can no longer log into the forum.

on the login area at the top of the page it only shows a username, and clicking login takes you back to the home page, no other links work

tried this on chrome and explorer / firefox all the same unfortunatly

the strange link still works though

Yngmar

Visit site
The orginal site name is back up but...

the login function appears to have disappeared and it'f finally forgotten my login details automatically so i can no longer log into the forum.

on the login area at the top of the page it only shows a username, and clicking login takes you back to the home page, no other links work

tried this on chrome and explorer / firefox all the same unfortunatly

the strange link still works though

The original domain is not back, please do not go there, it is nobody we know and not related to the Bavaria forums. Some internet scum has grabbed the expired domain and set up a fake site there, probably not safe to visit and definitely not safe to type your login details into. Nothing we can do about this, it's just how stuff on the internet works. The real site is still as linked above, http://bavaria.sdfjkl.org - the login there works and if you've forgotten your password, there's a recovery function.