Yamaha 2.5 outboard

buzzy

Visit site
Hi all new here seeking help on a Yamaha F 2.5 A outboard, spring clean up . I started my outboard on Pateo in large bucket water no problem started ok applied forward gear no problems tried several times forward , neutral ok .
Left and came back restarted again this time it will not select neutral , removed access plug on drive shaft gear selector lever seems to operate up and down but no neutral is there anybody with advise please.

shanemax

Visit site
It will still work ok, on the water, as the 2hp Yamaha does not have a forward and neutral, just instant drive and at tick over very little torque.
It must have some sort of dog tooth drive system and it must be very very simple on a 2.5 hp outboard so keep looking as i do not think it will be difficult to find the problem or if necessary repair.
Go to Youtube videos....Dangar Marine..He's an Aussie who works on marine engines .He cuts the front out of the gear box on a small outboard and gives a brilliant insight into how they mesh and work. Well worth a free tutorial .

buzzy

Visit site
Hi thanks for input.
My one has got a forward and neutral lever on the top always used this for power..? No reverse

VicS

Visit site
Hi thanks for input.
My one has got a forward and neutral lever on the top always used this for power..? No reverse
Have you checked the gear box oil? It should be "clear and bright" and topped up to the correct level.

Check the joint between the upper and lower shift rods. Should look like this.
1715551868889.png
Make sure that the lower rod moves ( down to select neutral) when the shift lever is moved.

If necessary slacken the clamp bolt, push the lower rod down to put the gears in neutral, check that the prop will rotate freely without turning the engine and with the shift lever in the neutral position tighten the clamp bolt to 10Nm

Last edited:

buzzy

Visit site
Thanks for your help and the picture ,
I did have a look at this part but looks fine with engine off shaft does move up and down as expected also bolt tight.

buzzy

Visit site
Problem sorted , removed bottom end found the forward gear stuck on output shaft free gear all back and working.