Bad experience - What are my options?

BruceK

Visit site
Three weeks ago I sent in a pallet of parts to a well known dealer for reconditioning and servicing.

1x KAD42 compressor for part exchange on a reconditioned unit. Deposit to hold item £350 paid in advance. This was done on the promise of a quick turnaround, rather than reconditioning the old unit at half the price.

Also
1x KAD42 compressor for servicing and test
1 x Oil cooler for oil pressure test.

I also ordered the following parts.
2nd hand gearshift cover for outdrive
Replacement belts.

One week after sending the items in on their courrier to check status on oil cooler I am told they replaced the core. I asked for a pressure test not a core change. I even phoned in on the day it was sent in to make sure they understood the requirement for this. However rather than create an impasse I voiced my dissatisfaction and paid.

Over three weeks later I have finally got my bits back. So much for a quick turnaround.

The so called part exchange compressor is my own.

The compressor sent in for servicing still has the clutch electrical pug full of paint (how did they manage to test that then?) and the clutch wires are still hard, brittle and have the insulation frayed off where they are retained. All the bolts still have a complete coat of paint on, which would indicate it has not been dissasembled. I cant believe this unit has been serviced or tested.

The oil cooler has not been recored. Indeed it is not even in my housing. It's a straight swap for a second hand unit that will not fit by boat as someone at some point has blocked off one of the endcaps.

No belts in box, but have been billed for them

No gearbox cover, but have been billed for it.

All in all, I am left with no confidence that anything other than a clutch change has been done to one compressor and have not received a anything for what I paid for.
Trying to contact them ends at their reception. Very nice and polite, but that is as far as I get.

Absolutely fuming here. What are my options?

Poignard

Visit site
Start with a letter to the MD of the firm. A letter, not an email, not a phone call. State what work they were instructed to do, state what was not done/wrongly done, say what you expect him to do to put things right.

Give him a few days to respond and then decide whether you're happy with that response, if any. If you aren't, you move on to the next stage.

The thing to do is to leave him in no doubt that you aren't going to let it drop.

Momac

Visit site
Contact Visa and they will advise you how to proceed.
You will be required to initially to try to resolve the matter directly with the retailer.
Be clear what you want . Do you want all of your money back or indeed are you in a worse position then before and want some extra?

Vitesse

Visit site
That would upset me.

At this point do as Parsifal says - hope for a good outcome but at the same time plan for a small claims action. Take records, diary of events, photographs, emails, phone conversations. Read up on what you need to do.

Any company with a reputation to protect won't let it get that far. Good luck.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Three weeks ago I sent in a pallet of parts to a well known dealer for reconditioning and servicing.

1x KAD42 compressor for part exchange on a reconditioned unit. Deposit to hold item £350 paid in advance. This was done on the promise of a quick turnaround, rather than reconditioning the old unit at half the price.

Also
1x KAD42 compressor for servicing and test
1 x Oil cooler for oil pressure test.

I also ordered the following parts.
2nd hand gearshift cover for outdrive
Replacement belts.

One week after sending the items in on their courrier to check status on oil cooler I am told they replaced the core. I asked for a pressure test not a core change. I even phoned in on the day it was sent in to make sure they understood the requirement for this. However rather than create an impasse I voiced my dissatisfaction and paid.

Over three weeks later I have finally got my bits back. So much for a quick turnaround.

The so called part exchange compressor is my own.

The compressor sent in for servicing still has the clutch electrical pug full of paint (how did they manage to test that then?) and the clutch wires are still hard, brittle and have the insulation frayed off where they are retained. All the bolts still have a complete coat of paint on, which would indicate it has not been dissasembled. I cant believe this unit has been serviced or tested.

The oil cooler has not been recored. Indeed it is not even in my housing. It's a straight swap for a second hand unit that will not fit by boat as someone at some point has blocked off one of the endcaps.

No belts in box, but have been billed for them

No gearbox cover, but have been billed for it.

All in all, I am left with no confidence that anything other than a clutch change has been done to one compressor and have not received a anything for what I paid for.
Trying to contact them ends at their reception. Very nice and polite, but that is as far as I get.

Absolutely fuming here. What are my options?

Bruce , I think you need to disclose this dealer as you could contact volvopenta UK head office and complain, each dealer has to adhere to a code of practice, sound like there not.
However I have an idea who you have used. No comment.

I can tell you there are no spares available to recon a supercharger only the clutch unless you strip it and fit aftermarket shaft bearings, personally I would never advise repair of a supercharger as I've seen so many now blow parts inside the inter cooler when they break up, the inter cooler Matrix core is the filter if you like before it hits the real expensive stuff, the turbo vanes just get wiped out!
Just read post again, there are no separate parts available for the clutch either just fit new, if it's coil is going to ground it burns out your relay at £240 each, beware and fit a new clutch if the gauges voltage dips when it cuts in.

I'd also advise on replacing the core on an oil cooler of that age, in my book the outer alloy casing will need blasting to glean up and a through examination before fitting a new core , personally I'd never do this , when you look at labour times and the fact when the core has been inside an alloy housing with salt water flowing around it , it's got to be a no brainier just buy a new one and sleep well at night knowing when you use your engine it won't dump it's oil in the bilge just like a recent kad43 I've rebuilt, yes a wrecked engine for the sake of a corroded outer housing on the oil cooler, enough said.
Why didn't you put a post on here re what you required.
Only today I sold 2 gearboxes , this guy had paid £1300 for a so called recon gearbox to get his own box back which had a nice lick of green paint, this cowboy need putting out of business.

I've just weighed some scrap in, 4 super chargers , 3 oil coolers, 1 inter cooler all from this series of motor, says a lot.

Caveat emptor as they say.

Last edited:

BruceK

Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. Before I name anyone I want to hear what they have to say, should they eventually take my call.

Richard10002

Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. Before I name anyone I want to hear what they have to say, should they eventually take my call.

How long are you going to give them to "eventually" take your call.

Sounds like the market knows they are a bunch of cowboys, so you are unlikely to get anywhere by waiting for them to cooperate. Even legal action might result in a Judgement that could prove hard to get paid.....

oldgit

Visit site
Would not give any company too much leeway in pressing your case.However much you feel inclined to give them a chance to sort the problem.
Give them brief window to respond in a manner that keeps you happy and then get on with getting the boat fixed and back into the water.
This may mean biting the bullet and sourcing replacement bits from elsewhere.
This avoids the double whammey ? of a grim slow extended fight to get money back and some satisfaction,while your boat moulders unused on the quayside.
VP and I both know of a boat which lay immobile for 5 or 6 years while the owner fought a long and protracted legal war regarding a duff engine rebuild.The chap did win his case...where apon the defendant promptly went into receivership.
So no money and no working boat.
The summer may seem like forever away,in legal arguments it is the blink of an eye.
Good Luck..

ian38_39

Visit site
Sorry to hear about this but it does sound standard service from Seaside Donkey, Refurb = rough paint, quality control inspection = rough paint.

I'm sure an appeal for character witnesses will provide plenty of ammunition should you need it.