Around (Hayling) Island Race

FinesseChris

Visit site
Believe there used to be a dinghy race from Emsworth out through Chi entrance, round the Nab, back thru Langstone entrance, under the Langstone bridge, back to Emsworth.

Dinghy sailors were men in those days. No dry/wet suits for them, just a pair of army surplus shorts. That was just the girls, mind.

(Now don't start him off....)

Hasten to add that all I know of this is half-remembered from a history of Emsworth Slipper SC. Others are doubtless better informed.

Chris

Judders

Visit site
It seems odd that it has disapeared, I am sure there would be plenty of interest.

Perhaps it's a sign of the ever increasing size of the average boat but plenty of large dinghys and micro cruisers could take part.

choppy

Visit site
There were several windsurfing races / speed trials round the island a few years back & I have heard it mentioned since - dont know if anyone still does. The timing and methods for getting under the bridge were/are pretty impressive ! Heres to having Fun -

capt_courageous

Visit site
Hi
Many moons ago our dinghy club ( Solartron ) based at the entrance to Langstone had a Round the Island Race. Had to drop the mast to get under the road bridge. I don't know what the club is called now but it is still there.

stuey_two

Visit site
The popularity of the round Hayling windsurfing race peaked in the late 1980s with over 700 starters in one year. Started and finished at Northney, and went anticlockwise, I recall. The record time was set by (I think) Guy Cribb in the early 90s - and was under 50 minutes, a phenomenal performance. Interest later flagged and I think the race was discontinued some years ago.

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site
Did the round Hayling race many years back. Rather hoped that careful work would allow me to drop the spar, leave the mast and get under the bridge on jib alone but no usch luck, not by a few inches:-(

Lots of fun and a serious p1ssup afterwards.

Judders

Visit site
I wonder whether it might not be better simply to start at Northney Marina and finish at Langstone SC and thus avoiud the bridge.

G

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder whether it might not be better simply to start at Northney Marina and finish at Langstone SC and thus avoiud the bridge.

[/ QUOTE ]

But years ago when it was a regular event - it was designed as more an obstacle job and of course small boats etc. With serious party at end.
If you remove the bridge aspect - you may as well set some buoys up and race cans ...

There also used to be another round Portsea Island race with small dinghys etc.

castaway

uk.groups.yahoo.com
Yes I remember the early RHI windsurfer race..Me and a mate did it on a pair of 'Seapanthers'

Windsurfing was more fun when the boards actually floated..we used to do quite a bit of board cruising in the early days.

Nick

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Hayling Island sailing club used to organise this annually. Used to do it every year - required capsizing under the road bridge - great fun it was too.

Organised as a persuit race - slowest off first. Did it originally in the International Tornado - designed by Uffa fox for the 1953(?) olympics - pre dutchman then for years in a fireball.