A fun bluewater boat around 40'?

Sea Change

Visit site
the running rigging would have been over 5k if bought new.

That seems rather steep!
Back of envelope calculation, I have about 250m of running rigging. Standard 12mm braid on braid is about £1/m.
I've probably forgotten bits and bobs like lazy jacks, and for some applications you might want higher spec ropes, but how do you get all the way to to £5k?

Supertramp

Visit site
Some old boats don't need everything repaired or replaced and some new boats don't come equipped with everything the blue (and brown) water sailor wants. Which might explain some of the cost reasoning.

Some big benefits in preparing your own boat as you know how things work and what spares to carry.

Tranona

Visit site
Not difficult to rack up that sort of money if high performance dyneema and professional spliced eyes. 100m Liros Braid on Braid 12mm £98, Liros Hurkules premium £378 Liros Dyneema £679

Would guess his Dragonfly has loads of bits of string to pull to shape sails and fly kites

ashtead

Visit site
Now you mention it be careful to check those twin furlers if you find another with like spec as those aren’t cheap if you can still get the parts etc . Hopefully a nice rustler 42 might come along though to compare. They seem a tad quicker maybe?

papaver19

Visit site
Yes, I know all about the costs of making old boats perfect - I have spent 5 years making the Typhoon a thing of wonder, without regard to cost. I won't get half my money back when I sell her - a someone is going to be very happy with her - but I enjoyed the process & have learnt loads, both about boat systems and my own capabilities. Money comes and goes, it's not important against a life lived enjoyably.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
For us, the maths went…. New DF28. £200 000. Smart second hand DF28. £160 000. Smart DF920, £90-100 000. Scruffy down at heel but structurally sound boat, local to us, £42000. Parts to restore to better than smart, with new modern sail plan, another 40 000, spent relatively gradually. That added up to us. We won’t make a profit, but not much loss by the time we sell.

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
Several years ago there was a Bowman 40 in my marina, very nice looking boat, IIRC it was RYS it was the first white ensign I saw. No, actually the second, the first was the Queen little ship we crossed tens of years ago in Greece.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
That seems rather steep!
Back of envelope calculation, I have about 250m of running rigging. Standard 12mm braid on braid is about £1/m.
I've probably forgotten bits and bobs like lazy jacks, and for some applications you might want higher spec ropes, but how do you get all the way to to £5k?

Not difficult to rack up that sort of money if high performance dyneema and professional spliced eyes. 100m Liros Braid on Braid 12mm £98, Liros Hurkules premium £378 Liros Dyneema £679

Would guess his Dragonfly has loads of bits of string to pull to shape sails and fly kites

Every line is dyneema. Quite easy then. 3 halyards, running backstays, folding mechanism control lines, traveller, main and jib sheets, barber haulers, spinnaker sheets and tackline, jib and main reefing lines, bowsprit rigging, it all adds up. 8 and 10mm line. About 500m of rope, that’s how you’d get to 5k.

Sea Change

Visit site

Every line is dyneema. Quite easy then. 3 halyards, running backstays, folding mechanism control lines, traveller, main and jib sheets, barber haulers, spinnaker sheets and tackline, jib and main reefing lines, bowsprit rigging, it all adds up. 8 and 10mm line. About 500m of rope, that’s how you’d get to 5k.
Thanks for the explanation. It's not entirely representative of your average bluewater boat though.