Anyone from West Coast Scotland able to give advice?

neale

Visit site
500 is not high at all, in fact for a 13 year old boat it is quite low at around 40 hours per year. Evidence of regular servicing would be good but I would be interested in knowing why the engine was re-built and to what extent. I would also definitely find out more about that particular engine as something tells me it wasn't the best. Possibly a VM based unit which doesn't have the best reputation. Two forumites spring to mind that may be able to provide further info, Volvopaul and latestarter, both can be found on the Motorboat forum.

Last edited:

gery w

Visit site
Thanks for posting that link neale as it is actually my boat before i purchased her and brought her up to scotland to give her the attention she deserved. The older volvo engines in these boats are very reliable if well serviced like any other it is the drives that need yearly maintenance to ensure reliabillity.As for the sealine at kip i know the boat it is probably best avoided at that price.

Last edited:

Divemaster1

Visit site
..................I quite like the suggestion for a Nimbus too. Different type of boat but great for Scottish cruising. Solidly built with a hardtop for all that liquid sunshine you get up that way :D. ........

You could even get a 2600 (newer model) at the upper end of the budget ... with some negotiations that is..

More likely to be more spacious, confidence building, stable at anchor and easier to manouver (never mind cheaper to maintain due to shafts) than a Sealine 24 ... or most with sterndrives.... this one with 105 Hp ..

http://guernsey.boatshed.com/nimbus_2600-boat-127107.html

Not dishing sterndrives, but if you are on a budget, running cost and service cost matters .... and speed cost money !!

Last edited:

robertt

Visit site
Thanks for posting that link neale as it is actually my boat before purchased her and brought her up to scotland to give her the attention she deserved. The older volvo engines in these boats are very reliable if well serviced like any other it is the drives that need yearly maintenance to ensure reliabillity.As for the sealine at kip i know the boat it is probably best avoided at that price.
Hi Gery, did I understand you right, did you mean you owned this actual boat, or know the actual boat in question?
Or did you have the same model?
Thanks
Robert

gery w

Visit site
i currently own that falcon 27 that neale posted the link to.The sealine that you mentioned has been on the hard at kip for a while and looks a bit tired.

Last edited:

LeslieM

Visit site
Hi, I am new to the forum, having just posted one question recently about which boat to buy for visiting the West Coast of Scotland and the Islands.
I was wondering if anyone has local knowledge and experience so that I could ask a few questions.
For example, how readily can you find fuel in this area?
I want to work out my cruising range and options once I manage to get a boat, and this will affect the type of boat I go for.

Thanks for any help

Robert
Robert. Am sure that many longer established sailers will offer you advice for the West Coast. I will give you info that I have aquired over 30 years of travelling the West Coast boating and diving. I have had two ribs whilst visiting and it is a fact a large Rib with a big engine using stacks of fuel does not make for a happy occasion. Diesel is the answer. Reason....Diesel can be stored on the surface whilst Petrol has to be buried. and too much rock on the coast. Also the volume sold does not make it possible.