Antares 760 thread

Plum

Visit site
I’m not sure now that it hasn’t appeared since I fitted the new filler, which I’ve discovered is leaking badly ? I’ve changed the 4mm O ring for a 5mm so I’ll find out with the approaching storm whether or not it’s watertight now.

For any other Antares 760 owners reading this the original water and fuel filler caps the O-rings are 40mm ID and 5.3mm diameter cross-section.

Last edited:

Plum

Visit site
My winch is the original Leroy Somer unit.. I don't think I have the attachment to the alternator in Plum's picture, although I need to have a closer look. The winch gave up at the end of the season and the boat is now ashore with the engine winterised. I need to be able to get current to the winch so I can establish what the problem is, hence the need to run it independent of the engine.
Do let us all know what you discover :)

Plum

Visit site
Looks a neat aolurion.
Howhat is ths std steeeing setupand best auto pilot solurion. Tia roger
Thanks. Installing an autopilot is not straightforward on the Antares 760 as the steering is push-pull cable, which works very well, but I could not find a new autopilot that would work with this setup. You could rip it all out and replace with hydraulic steering which would then be compatible with a new autopilot but you would not get much change out of 3k. My solution was to buy an old Raymarine Autohelm 3000, which went out of production decades ago, found on eBay for £190 , and it works very well. See picture below. I did consider one of these but needed a big hole in the wood panel next to the wheel to clear the motor Raymarine Evolution Wheel Pilot including P70s
20200224_164057b.jpg

Last edited:

sailorman

Visit site
Mine still lists with a full tank and obvs more with an empty tank!
I should really have a clear out of the lazarette... I am a bit of a hoarder :rolleyes: Could lay the outboard and drying legs the other way round. That might help.
Plus a bag of sand in the engine bay...
The dinghy transom is on the starboard side too so that adds a little more weight on one side.
ufda fox stated thst the only place where weight is an adcantage . Is in a steam roller:rolleyes:

Pleinmont

Visit site
Thanks. Installing an autopilot is not straightforward on the Antares 760 as the steering is push-pull cable, which works very well, but I could not find a new autopilot that would work with this setup. You could rip it all out and replace with hydraulic steering which would then be compatible with a new autopilot but you would not get much change out of 3k. My solution was to buy an old Raymarine Autohelm 3000, which went out of production decades ago, found on eBay for £190 , and it works very well. See picture below. I did consider one of these but needed a big hole in the wood panel next to the wheel to clear the motor Raymarine Evolution Wheel Pilot including P70s
View attachment 127101
Interesting, I didn't realise about the cable vs hydraulics problem. That's annoying.

My dad's old Seaward 23 had one of those Autohelms fitted!

Plum

Visit site
Interesting, I didn't realise about the cable vs hydraulics problem. That's annoying.

My dad's old Seaward 23 had one of those Autohelms fitted!
There is a company called Octopus Drives Type S/T Dashboard Drives - Octopus Drives who make a cable drive autopilot system who passed me on to their UK agents who passed me onto another UK company who quoted for a system that, after a bit more research was not a straight swap for the existing 760 system and included the display but did not include the computer module. They were all useless and I had no faith in them all at all and the price was going to end up higher than a full swap to a hydraulic system.

Pleinmont

Visit site
There is a company called Octopus Drives Type S/T Dashboard Drives - Octopus Drives who make a cable drive autopilot system who passed me on to their UK agents who passed me onto another UK company who quoted for a system that, after a bit more research was not a straight swap for the existing 760 system and included the display but did not include the computer module. They were all useless and I had no faith in them all at all and the price was going to end up higher than a full swap to a hydraulic system.
Sometimes its best not to overcomplicate things.
That Autohelm system is nice and simple.

alancollins

Visit site
I am working on the Leroy Somer anchor winch on my 760, but before doing serious dismantling I want to check the easy to get at electrics. In the locker under the fridge and alongside the circuit breaker there is an unmarked white plastic box about 7 inches by five with the winch cables passing through it. I haven't explored this yet so can anyone tell me what I will find when I open it up?

Plum

Visit site
I am working on the Leroy Somer anchor winch on my 760, but before doing serious dismantling I want to check the easy to get at electrics. In the locker under the fridge and alongside the circuit breaker there is an unmarked white plastic box about 7 inches by five with the winch cables passing through it. I haven't explored this yet so can anyone tell me what I will find when I open it up?
Inside that box are the relays that switch and reverse the winch motor, probably the easiest part of the system to check. Here is the wiring diagram from LS
windlass relay box wiring diagram_resize_76.jpg

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Last edited:

alancollins

Visit site
Thanks Plum. I had expected the relays to be inside the winch casing. Incidentally, has anyone replaced the original Leroy Somer anchor winch with a modern unit and, if so, which one and was it a difficult swap?

Plum

Visit site
Thanks Plum. I had expected the relays to be inside the winch casing. Incidentally, has anyone replaced the original Leroy Somer anchor winch with a modern unit and, if so, which one and was it a difficult swap?
No, but this is the neatest replacement I've seen. It's bolted to a rectangular stainless plate that projects inder the foredeck and uses the four original winch bolts, two of which screw into the cleat from underneath.
20180621_131219_resize_61.jpg

Plum

Visit site
If you decide to replace may I have your old failed one for spares please.