Antares 760 thread

Pleinmont

Visit site
Mine is perfectly level when the fresh water tank is full. When it is empty there is a 30mm list to stbd.

Mine still lists with a full tank and obvs more with an empty tank!
I should really have a clear out of the lazarette... I am a bit of a hoarder :rolleyes: Could lay the outboard and drying legs the other way round. That might help.
Plus a bag of sand in the engine bay...
The dinghy transom is on the starboard side too so that adds a little more weight on one side.

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
Finally got the old deck filler off and have ordered one of these to replace it Quick Close Deck Filler - Float Your Boat
Absolute pig of a job to remove the old filler ? Three screws, only two came out, the other just spins. Ended up hammering a crowbar under the lip and finally split the plastic around the remaining screw head. I expected to be able to pull the filler up through the deck to detach the hose - no. The jubilee clips prevent it from coming through the hole so I ended up squeezed under the deck through the lazarette (I’m the wrong age, shape and size for these contortions!) where I managed to get a spanner on the jubilee clips and loosen them. The filler still wouldn’t come off so back to work with the crow bar until eventually it popped off. The reason for the ‘stuck’ third screw then became apparent, an earth cable was attached to the screw under the deck rendering it impossible to remove?? Old filler now replaced to fill the hole until the new one arrives, if anyone else is daft enough to attempt this note that the hose is 50mm id, not the more common 38mm.
Job done, think I’ve broken my bottom left rib at the back squeezing under the deck to reattach the jubilee clips ? ? Need to do some polishing to remove the rust marks from the crowbar but that can wait a while. Now to empty the tank for the winter and clean again, should be good to go then(y)

D4C91279-B9E7-4851-A301-DAAA754426F7.jpeg

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
No more picking up the wrong wrench every time you fill up!
That’s one plus, also should be waterproof which makes me happy.
The reason I couldn’t get the final screw out (attached to an earth cable) was that it was actually a bent 2” long bolt with a 7mm nut on it. Took me 15 minutes to get it off with access through the filler hole in the deck. It would have even impossible from underneath ?

alancollins

Visit site
The anchor winch on my Antares 760 is wired to operate only when the engine is running. I would like to be able to operate it independently. Has anyone made this alteration and , if so, could they advise how they did it? Electrics are not my strong suit and I need to know whether it is a simple job or one I should leave to a professional.

Pleinmont

Visit site
The anchor winch on my Antares 760 is wired to operate only when the engine is running. I would like to be able to operate it independently. Has anyone made this alteration and , if so, could they advise how they did it? Electrics are not my strong suit and I need to know whether it is a simple job or one I should leave to a professional.

Mine is like that, I presume this is to avoid draining the battery(s) down too far and not being able to start the engine again.
When I bought my 760 the 2 batteries could not be isolated to keep the starting battery separate to the leisure battery (I've since had a switch added so the leisure one can be used by itself).

My winch and bow thruster still need the engine running to operate though. Both are fairly high draw units so makes sense to have the engine running at the time in case you overdid it...

That said, someone else will be along shortly with the exact opposite setup :D

Pleinmont

Visit site
Err ?! My winch (the original) and thruster will both work without the engine running. Is yours the original Leroy Sommer winch?
Ha, exactly as I predicted :ROFLMAO:
I believe mine has the original winch still fitted (not sure if you were asking the other poster though :))

Plum

Visit site
Ha, exactly as I predicted :ROFLMAO:
I believe mine has the original winch still fitted (not sure if you were asking the other poster though :))
Does your, or op's, alternator have a relay fixed to the back of it (the little green cube) as pictured below as on mine? I believe from the way it is wired this may be there to activate something only when the alternator is charging (ie the engine is running) but that brown wire has been cut (before my ownership) so now is redundant. Could this account for why my winch works without the engine running?
1638375518866.jpg

Plum

Visit site
See my post #69

Pleinmont

Visit site
Does your, or op's, alternator have a relay fixed to the back of it (the little green cube) as pictured below as on mine? I believe from the way it is wired this may be there to activate something only when the alternator is charging (ie the engine is running) but that brown wire has been cut (before my ownership) so now is redundant. Could this account for why my winch works without the engine running?
View attachment 126718
Interesting...
Not sure from memory, I'd have to check ?

alancollins

Visit site
Interesting...
Not sure from memory, I'd have to check ?

My winch is the original Leroy Somer unit.. I don't think I have the attachment to the alternator in Plum's picture, although I need to have a closer look. The winch gave up at the end of the season and the boat is now ashore with the engine winterised. I need to be able to get current to the winch so I can establish what the problem is, hence the need to run it independent of the engine.

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
My winch is the original Leroy Somer unit.. I don't think I have the attachment to the alternator in Plum's picture, although I need to have a closer look. The winch gave up at the end of the season and the boat is now ashore with the engine winterised. I need to be able to get current to the winch so I can establish what the problem is, hence the need to run it independent of the engine.
IIRC the circuit breaker is in the locker next to the calorifier in the forward cabin under the helm. Might be possible to run a direct supply to it from the battery.

alancollins

Visit site
IIRC the circuit breaker is in the locker next to the calorifier in the forward cabin under the helm. Might be possible to run a direct supply to it from the battery.

Thanks for that. I'll scout around when I am next on board and see if I can wire in a direct feed to the c/b.

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
Good move changing the filler, seeing what came out of the bottom of the tank…. The tank was perfectly clean and dry when the boat was launched in March so this is 8 months’ worth of gunge.

12D0C40F-0BD4-4BC6-B3BD-7A13C76D60C8.jpeg

Pleinmont

Visit site
Blimey, do you think a lot of that seeped in from the filler cap (plus some condensation)?

My primary filter stays nice and clear but I bet I have some of that gunk sloshing round in my tank at the bottom. I try not to go lower than half a tank before refilling.

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
Blimey, do you think a lot of that seeped in from the filler cap (plus some condensation)?

My primary filter stays nice and clear but I bet I have some of that gunk sloshing round in my tank at the bottom. I try not to go lower than half a tank before refilling.
I’m not sure now that it hasn’t appeared since I fitted the new filler, which I’ve discovered is leaking badly ? I’ve changed the 4mm O ring for a 5mm so I’ll find out with the approaching storm whether or not it’s watertight now.