An eventful journey from Southampton to Chatham

Concerto

Visit site
I thought you might like a report of my latest sail. Hope you enjoy it, despite some of the problems I encountered and my solutions.

After the boat show closed on Sunday I had to sail Concerto back singlehanded to Chatham, with a stop after 115 miles at Dover. After checking the tides, I decided to leave near to 5am Monday. Finally slipped the berth in Ocean Village at 5.20. Well things did not go completely to plan.

There was little wind going down Southampton Water and turning east in the Solent, I had to motor through to the Looe Channel. In fact I arrived just before the tide turned and had a little tide to punch, but then had tide then for the next 6 hours or so. The sea was quite lumpy after the strong winds of Sunday, so strong that no boats were allowed out from the inner berths in the boat show.

Whilst sailing I thought it would be a good time to try flying my drone. Trying to take off from the cockpit, the drone hit the backstay and bounced onto the narrow deck on the port quarter and luckily did not drop overboard. Once airbourne launching from the sprayhood, I found it much more difficult to keep the drone pointing at the boat due to the speed I was doing. After taking some shots of the starboard quarter and beam, I stopped the video. I then flew forward to take some shots as I sailed by. Then came the fun part, trying to land. This was a lot more difficult than I expected due to the boat motion. after nearly hitting the backstay, I decided to land on the coachroof. In came the drone and was difficult to keep the speed matching the boat and bring over the boat. Disaster, I hit the lower shroud and the drone bounced off the coachroof on to the deck - and stayed put. No damage to the drone. I left the boat sailing on autopilot and transfered the two video files to my laptop. Then I found the second video was corrupted. The first video has a slight problem in clarity as the camera lens must have pointed towards the sun and this creates a hazy bloom. These are some screen shots from the video.

Drone 1000pix 1.png

Drone 1000pix 3.png

Drone 1000pix 5.png

Drone 1000pix 7.png

After this drone flight, I think I need a lot more practice in drone flying on land and then choose a day with lighter winds and smoother water.

IMG_8283 1000pix.jpg

Everything was going smoothly until about 10 miles past Beachy Head, the wind dropped and about half an hour later I ran out of diesel. I cannot believe I had used a full tank of fuel since leaving Chatham. What to do now? Firstly I had to keep sailing, but I was in no danger so I ruled out calling the Coastguard. There was a small fishing boat nearby that I tried to contact on VHF using their registration number, but no reply. The nearest place I could get some diesel would be in Dover, which would involve a chargeable tow in, the same applied to Ramsgate. After informing my wife and daughter of my problem, I then noticed a yacht had caught me up but by now was about half a mile off my beam and no idea of the boat details as they did not have AIS, so could not contact them.

Thinking further, I decided the best thing would be to anchor close inshore just past Dungerness. The speed had dropped to 2 knots with a little tide left with me and it was still about 15 miles away. After cooking a meal, I checked all round the boat and I could no longer see any other boats. As Concerto was moving slowly, it would be safe to get some sleep as it was now dark. I set the alarm for 1½ hours, which should see me about an hour away from Dungerness. Once the alarm woke me, I quickly checked my position and for any boats nearby. The wind had picked up slightly and the speed had reached 3 knots, so I was closer to Dungerness than I expected. Ahead was a boat by about a mile and a half, which by its lights I knew it was trawling. Just past Dungerness were 2 more small boats trawling, then nothing.

As I had slept reasonably well I decided to keep sailing with a new plan. I would continue to keep sailing and grab some more sleep, 2 hours followed by an hour and a half making a total of 5 hours. It was now just after 5am and there was a crack of light on the eastern horizon. The wind now slowly backed from SW to SE and increased and the speed lifted to about 6 knots once off Dover. The plan was refined and now I decided to sail to Gillingham Marina as their fuel berth was on the river - provided I could arrive before it closed. If I was too late, I would sail alongside and wait until the morning. The sunrise was spectacular.

IMG_8295 1000pix.jpg

IMG_8312 1000pix.jpg

IMG_8320 1000pix.jpg

As I passed Dover, I notified Dover Harbour Control I was passing about a mile and half off the the harbour, they noted and advised to keep listening watch until clear of the harbour. This proved interesting when the Dover Lifeboat called in for permission to enter the western entrance. An enquiry was made for the number of guests on board, 55 was the reply. Once I cracked sheets to round South Foreland and head north, the speed dropped again as the wind came behind the beam but the tide was assisting by about a knot and a half.

After rounding North Foreland, I headed west taking the inshore passage along the North Kent coast. This brought the wind almost close hauled and an increase in strength, resulting in having to drop a reef into both sails. Off Herne Bay I had to ease sheets slightly as I needed to sail to the north of the Isle of Sheppy. Now the wind started to ease, so I shook out the reefs. Half way along the island, I had to harden up to approach the mouth of the Medway. On the horizon were several white specks, or in my language, yachts to chase down. I managed to sail very close to Garrison Point and then cross the entrance and ended just upstream of Grain Fort and tacking when I had just 5m under the keel as the shore rises steeply. After several pairs of tacks I had already caught the first yacht which was about 25ft and had poorly set sails that were flapping in the breeze rather than driving the boat. After the next pair of tacks I was able to lay the length of Grain Reach and to windward was a Fulmar sailing just under genoa and a slightly ahead was a Dragonfly 28. The wind was at the limit of full sail again, which made each tack quite hard work as I was hand steering. The further up river I sailed, the wind started to ease. Luckily I could point slightly higher than the Dragonfly and this saved me several pairs of tacks, allowing me to slowly close the distance. Time was running out and I could not get to Gillingham Marina before they closed.

Then I had a brain wave. If I sailed to my home marina at Chatham, I could sail alongside their riverside holding pontoon, walk ashore with a fuel can and drive my car to a local fuel station. This gave more drive to catch and pass the Dragonfly, which I finally did about half a mile before the marina - job done. For the final approach to the pontoon I decided to furl the genoa and gently coast over the tide and the breeze would blow me on to the pontoon. With plenty of fenders alongside, I had rigged a line to drop over a cleat to brake the boat so I could step on the pontoon and tie the lines. It took less than a minute and then I went aboard to drop the mainsail.

Home at last at 6pm Tuesday. The journey from Ocean Village had taken 36 hours and 40 minutes and I had broken my record for a singlehanded journey. It had been 120 miles for some years and I had just smashed it by covering 174 miles according to the chart plotter. It was certainly an impressive journey that I never intended to make, but everything turned out well by using my experience to solve the problems.

Ocean Village to Chatham 1.jpg

William_H

Visit site
Nice story Concerto I did enjoy reading and pictures. Clearly you need a helipad for drone. Perhaps solar PV panels mounted aft of back stay and horizontal would double as a heli pad. Note all real helipads are at the stern of the vessel to allow an up wind landing and take off. Runnig out of fuel. Well you can beat yourself up on that. ol'will

Concerto

Visit site
An interesting post and congratulations for solving your wee problem with fuel in a very seamanlike manner.

On long passages I always have at least 10 ltrs in jerry cans onboard, just in case.
For next season I will be carrying a spare can of diesel. Just need to work out the best place to keep it secure, yet readily accessible. Also will make sure I dip the tank on a regular basis, but this is a bit of a faff as it involves moving the liferaft and lifting a teak grating to get at the fuel filler.

david_bagshaw

Visit site
Nice one, I have found landing drone to upturned hand the best method, practice ashore, then takes 4x as long at sea, boat on auto pilot, while trying...

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
For next season I will be carrying a spare can of diesel. Just need to work out the best place to keep it secure, yet readily accessible. Also will make sure I dip the tank on a regular basis, but this is a bit of a faff as it involves moving the liferaft and lifting a teak grating to get at the fuel filler.
What was the designer thinking about!

My fuel sender has failed and as a result I am very careful to record engine hours and amount of fuel added.

Thankfully, the Gib'Sea has an 'open area' under the transom seat where gas, fuel and other stuff can stored.

Must replace the O ring on my filler cap this winter.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Our old westerly pentland had the same stupid fuel filler under the cockpit grating. I cut a hole in the grating but still a pain. And the inlet was smaller that most marina hoses so a funnel still needed with any spillage sploshing around ones feet.

How I love the fuel gage on our present boat and its 360 mile range under engine - Padstow to Belfast the previous year due to no or adverse wind except for glorious crossing in F5/6 easterly from Milford to Arklow. Mind you it very hard to dip due to curve in filler pipe

Supertramp

Visit site
I have transparent pipes connected to the drain tap with valves in the ends secured next to my tanks. Rough quantities for the level are marked on the bulkheads. To check, I open the drain valve and the pipe valve. I also have a tank gauge which varies a lot with heel angle. My tanks hold enough to motor for a week, and I carry a spare 10 litres. I hate nasty surprises!

Interesting account and shows how simple events can escalate, especially when alone.

NormanS

Visit site
I have transparent pipes connected to the drain tap with valves in the ends secured next to my tanks. Rough quantities for the level are marked on the bulkheads. To check, I open the drain valve and the pipe valve. I also have a tank gauge which varies a lot with heel angle. My tanks hold enough to motor for a week, and I carry a spare 10 litres. I hate nasty surprises!

Interesting account and shows how simple events can escalate, especially when alone.
Unsurprisingly I have exactly the same. To be clear, yes, a week of constant motoring.

Concerto

Visit site
Are there any particular reasons why you did not check fuel levels before such a major trip ? Perhaps a faulty gauge ?
There is no fuel guage fitted, to check the tank I have to dip it as described before. Before I left Chatham I filled the tank and that would usually last me a number of months. The light winds leaving Chatham meant I motored most of the way to Southampton. Whilst at the boat show everyday, I returned feeling very tired after being on my feet most of every day and the 20 minute walk each way to the berth in Ocean Village. My FitBit showed between 15,000 and 22,000 steps every day.

Personally I do not consider a trip between Chatham and the Solent a major trip. I have done it so many times over the decades, it is more like a bus ride. On Sunday I finally got back onboard, after helping pack the stand away, just before 7. Cooking a meal, checking the navigation, tidying the boat ready for sea, filling the water tank, etc. were the most important. Then off to bed to be up at 4.30. There are no fuel facilities at Ocean Village, but there is a fuel berth in the Itchen, but it is closed at weekends and does not open until 8am. It was not possible to fill the tank during show or as I left. I had planned to fill up in Dover and expected to get there with what was in the tank.

Just thinking about it over the past decade, I cannot think of anywhere I have used in the Solent to fill up with diesel. Certainly used Brighton and Eastbourne, but never Ramsgate.

Tranona

Visit site
A 20l can is 40 hours motoring. Find a way of stowing one - or even a couple of 5l will give you 10 hours each.

Good lesson.

johnalison

Visit site
The best gauge we had was the tell-tale tube outside the tank on our Sadler 29, though out current meter works fine.

I‘m surprised you only got six hours of tide going east. At least on the Brighton-Dover section we usually reckoned on ten

Cantata

Visit site
Nice job Concerto, you ought to think about writing that up for e.g. YM ar PBO, you might get a few quid for the story.
What sort of drone is it? (Nearly 'was' it!)

B27

Visit site
A lot of people seem to think their engine uses x litres per hour.
The reality is, that 'x' is hugely variable according to how fast you go and whether there's a head wind or some chop to drive through.
'motor sailing' can vary from half a litre per hour when the sail is doing most of the work, to 2litres or more when the prop is doing all the work and the sail is really just damping rolling from the waves and swell. It can be absorbing several kW.
As it's late season, a lot of boats are draggy with growth, that can easily be a few HP.
A typical diesel uses about 0.22 litres per hour for every HP it's producing.
That's a matter of the energy in the fuel and the efficiency of the engine.
Clean hull flat water, not making waves, might only be 2HP of load on the engine.
It soon escalates from there!
My 14HP Beta can develop about 9HP at 2400 rpm, so could use 2 litres an hour without trying.

mrming

instagram.com
I have now have the absolute luxury of a fuel gauge in our Fulmar having replaced the tank this season. Good work on the trip Roger - a nice read as always. :)