Aircon on boats?

GC1

N/A
Visit site
No, it runs with generator or shore power, but you have a constant stream of water from the outlet in the hull which can get annoying for neighbours and seems to make them want the toilet, a fender over it helps stop the annoyance /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I have 8,000btu so it can get quite chilly if you turn it up full /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nautorius

Visit site
Pete,

Have you still been booted out of the house so still living on the boat! No wonder you need a bigger one cos if you are living on the boat your beer/[--word removed--] food content may be increasing slightly!

I have only been banished to the boat for Wednesday night this week (though I did try for more /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

Cheers

Paul

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
but you have a constant stream of water from the outlet in the hull which can get annoying for neighbours and seems to make them want the toilet

[/ QUOTE ]

Our next door neighbour, swetting it out on his yacht deck, is making comments on this very point. very difficult to significantly reduce the noise. I don't know why the outlets have to be so far out of the water.

GC1

N/A
Visit site
Nah, 40 mins from Victoria to the boat, shame to waste such nice evenings, meet swmbo and then get a lift home /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Couldn't do that if it was in the Hamble, but I will be well and truly hambled soon as I am spending the whole of August cruising the South Coast and CI's, hopefuly a bit of Northern France as well /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

D

Deleted User YDKXO

I think a typical reverse cycle unit will provide heat with sea water temps as low as 3-4 deg so, unless you're planning to do your winter boating in the Arctic, it should'nt be a problem
But if I had my boat back in the UK, I would still have warm air heating fitted because I would'nt want to be reliant on dodgy shorepower or a noisy generator. Then there are some places like Yarmouth, IoW which dont allow you to run gennies after 23.00 or something like that so you'd freeze yer bollox off all night

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Not half as noisy as a gennie and no water gurgling to annoy the neighbours

nicho

Visit site
We bought a second hand Med spec boat with factory fitted reverse cycle aircon. The reverse cycle bit works very well in the winter - even with Jan/Feb sea temperatures, it is blowing hot air within around 3/4 minutes. It's also surprisingly quiet, though as the outlets are above floor level, it can leave you with cold feet!

I would not spec it on a new boat for the UK (it's around £18/20K for a 40 footer), though I have to confess it's been a lifesaver in the recent heatwave, with our boat being very popular for visits from other boat owners!!

Our current boat goes in a couple of weeks for one without aircon, so we'll be suffering along with the rest if these high temperatures continue.

nicho

Visit site
Just had an acquaintance die from Legionnaires disease after suffering terribly for several months (paralysis) - not nice. The authorities never did find the source, though take some comfort from the fact that he was not a boat owner.

fairline26turbo

Visit site
Hi
You don't have to worry about the raw water cooling, there is no risk of legionares disease.
The mouldy smell is from the evapourator and condensate, i would recommend you buy an aerosol cleaner (you can get these from Halfords) you run the ac and release the spray in the compartment and it is circulated in the air supply. Once for the season should be ok. Hope this helps. Marine A/C is my job but on a BIG scale

cranky

Visit site
If the sea temperature drops down to about 8C or lower you will not be able to extract any heat from it, so in the winter you will need a Webasto or Eberspacher as well.

Bejasus

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I would not spec it on a new boat for the UK (it's around £18/20K for a 40 footer)

[/ QUOTE ]

How much?????? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

See here.

24,000 BTU, Full Reverse Cycle, plus deluxe fitting kit = $3783.30 incl tax
Plus pump 220v 60Hz = $628 incl tax
Total = $4411.30 incl tax. Thats £2400 at todays exchange rate.

Read about them here and here.
I just cannot see how people can justify the prices they are charging here. Assuming your £18-£20k figure was correct.

rickp

Visit site
I assume that Nicho's price includes the size of marine generator appropriate to run the aircon - which for a 40' boat is probably 8kva for full aircon?

Rick

GC1

N/A
Visit site
Welcome to the forum, I have my eye on a new 40ft er Cranchi, but waiting for the launch of it at SIBS to see the quality of finish.

Loved the Zaffiro but was really upset when the boss said it was too windy on a test drive, she said she thought the sales guy was very nice though :-(

So going to see what SIBS has to offer.