Pilot house, 40-45ft?

Tranona

Visit site
Thanks Tranona, is there not an age limit on the RCD compliance?
No. That seems to have gone in the post Brexit regulations. It is a confusing situation - even the certifying bodies are not clear in their advice on when certification is needed. I have notseen reports on any real cases but would guess that VAT has just about killed imports of used boats anyway.

Sea Change

Visit site
Didn't realise you were quite so far North, I used to cruise from the Clyde up to Skye as a kid, but I'd agree that once out towards Uist etc. a bit more weather protection is in order to keep your guests happy. .... mind you, we used to do it in company, a Westely Centuar and an Albin Vega ... so any of these would be an improvement on that.
We started out with a Vega, spent many happy weeks hiding from the rain in various places around the west coast. The cockpit tent was a good addition, so you could leave wet gear and dogs outside.

Land based tourism on Skye has reached silly levels now. We're expecting a million visitors this year. There's more and more interest being shown in the Outer Hebrides, which remain comparatively quiet. From my base on Skye I can be over in Uist in 3-4hrs and that opens up a whole world of beautiful sheltered anchorages. What we're lacking is the abundance of marinas with ready access to pubs and restaurants.

Sea Change

Visit site
My dream boat,a Buizen 48. Might be a little above your price ceiling, I don't know the exchange rate. One for sale in Australia at$499,000AUD. It has everything you want and more
Yup that's too far over budget... no point salivating over something I can't afford... 😂

OTOH I've seen a Babaria Vision 50, 2007 model, for £110k. That's an enormous account of boat for the money. Suspiciously cheap, I wonder if there's something wrong with it.

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
Yup that's too far over budget... no point salivating over something I can't afford... 😂

OTOH I've seen a Babaria Vision 50, 2007 model, for £110k. That's an enormous account of boat for the money. Suspiciously cheap, I wonder if there's something wrong with it.
Only a survey will tell, but at 50ft people get scared of the size and cost of upkeep so the price drops .... 40-45ft seems to be the sweet spot for couples boats in terms of demand - which drives the price higher.

afterpegassus

Visit site
From my base on Skye I can be over in Uist in 3-4hrs and that opens up a whole world of beautiful sheltered anchorages. What we're lacking is the abundance of marinas with ready access to pubs and restaurants.
A point of view I wholeheartedly disagree with.
Born here, sailed and climbed here my whole life, the last thing needed is more marinas, pubs and restaurants. You just destroy the precious thing you have.
I've watched year on year the treasured anchorages, beaches and bothies slathered across the internet and any semblance of remoteness slowly slipping over the horizon.

Sea Change

Visit site
A point of view I wholeheartedly disagree with.
Born here, sailed and climbed here my whole life, the last thing needed is more marinas, pubs and restaurants. You just destroy the precious thing you have.
I've watched year on year the treasured anchorages, beaches and bothies slathered across the internet and any semblance of remoteness slowly slipping over the horizon.
Oh I don't disagree with you, I just hope I can find enough people who appreciate an unspoiled and undeveloped place.

Wansworth

Visit site
The nice thing about the older boats with cabin tops you could sit on or cabin sides that you can lean against is your passengers can get away from each other briefly

Sea Change

Visit site
Just thinking about this a bit more, I don't know if it's part of the definition but I'm seeing 'deck saloon' boats like the Jeanneaus where you can't actually see out of the salon windows whilst sat down (or at least, that's my impression from having sailed on one done years ago). I think the Bavaria Vision series will be similar?
I'm ideally looking for a boat where you can sit down at the saloon table and have a good view outside.
I've got a pretty decent looking shortlist thanks to this thread. Whether the idea makes any financial sense is another question!

ashtead

Visit site
Would an older smallish Jongert not be of interest -nice cabins with separate guest heads -not totally enclosed but hard top . I seem to recall they did make small ones as opposed to the 20m plus variants. Great for storage ,big tanks etc big diesels to toddle along under headsail for day after day.

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
The Vision has the windows too high to see out of when seated, as do most modern deck saloons - there are a few windows at head height when seated but they are small - no panoramic views, but that's what a big cockpit is for ;) ... and when the weather is crap in Scotland you often can't see the length of a football pitch anyway.

There seems to be quite a bit of competition up there in practically every type of boat ...

Sail - Sail Scotland

But it is gorgeous, this was from our 2019 Bareboat Whisky Tour .... just off Bunessan on Mull.

Screenshot 2024-06-23 162343.jpg

V1701

Visit site
Just thinking about this a bit more, I don't know if it's part of the definition but I'm seeing 'deck saloon' boats like the Jeanneaus where you can't actually see out of the salon windows whilst sat down (or at least, that's my impression from having sailed on one done years ago). I think the Bavaria Vision series will be similar?
I'm ideally looking for a boat where you can sit down at the saloon table and have a good view outside.
I've got a pretty decent looking shortlist thanks to this thread. Whether the idea makes any financial sense is another question!
Yes I had to stand on tiptoes to see out the front windows on a Jeanneau 45DS! Huge internal volume & headroom. On the subject of 50ft boats I agree with Baggywrinkle - it is too big for many so bang for buck cheaper than a 40ft. Same with narrowboats for different reasons, i.e. not many want 70ft so they are "cheaper" than 55/57ft which is considered the sweet spot. Best of luck with it all...

Supertramp

Visit site
We started out with a Vega, spent many happy weeks hiding from the rain in various places around the west coast. The cockpit tent was a good addition, so you could leave wet gear and dogs outside.

Land based tourism on Skye has reached silly levels now. We're expecting a million visitors this year. There's more and more interest being shown in the Outer Hebrides, which remain comparatively quiet. From my base on Skye I can be over in Uist in 3-4hrs and that opens up a whole world of beautiful sheltered anchorages. What we're lacking is the abundance of marinas with ready access to pubs and restaurants.

If your proposed client base really want marinas and restaurants you are probably basing in the wrong place. Surely you want to offer the chance to experience the wildness of the Outer Hebrides without marinas etc? Once the Outer Hebrides succumbs to mass tourism the appeall will change. Fortunately the midges regulate things to an extent.

There are people offering this but generally on much larger boats, motor or sail. I do agree that a pilothouse yacht is a good way to do it, but too big and you will make it hard to access nice spots.

There are some older Moodys (42?) that might do the job, and a Carbineer would add style. As others have said, charter customers will expect more than you can offer.

Sea Change

Visit site
Would an older smallish Jongert not be of interest -nice cabins with separate guest heads -not totally enclosed but hard top . I seem to recall they did make small ones as opposed to the 20m plus variants. Great for storage ,big tanks etc big diesels to toddle along under headsail for day after day.
Possibly, but I've not seen any in budget.

Sea Change

Visit site
If your proposed client base really want marinas and restaurants you are probably basing in the wrong place. Surely you want to offer the chance to experience the wildness of the Outer Hebrides without marinas etc? Once the Outer Hebrides succumbs to mass tourism the appeall will change. Fortunately the midges regulate things to an extent.

There are people offering this but generally on much larger boats, motor or sail. I do agree that a pilothouse yacht is a good way to do it, but too big and you will make it hard to access nice spots.

There are some older Moodys (42?) that might do the job, and a Carbineer would add style. As others have said, charter customers will expect more than you can offer.
You're preaching to the converted, but there are many people out there who claim to lust after wilderness yet still end up choosing marinas and eating out over solitude and scenery.
I think the current level of development in my area is about right, and it would be possible to strike a balance.

A friend has a Moody 44, three cabins, and it would be very nice for this sort of thing.

boomerangben

Visit site
A friend of mine who has a pilot house boat (and very lovely it is too Vancouver I think) pointed out his dream boat for the NW - Sirius 35. The 42 would be, I think a great skippered charter boat. They just seem really well thought out for this part of the world. However you would need to have a very polished sales pitch and bullet proof business plan to run one of those past the bank manager!!