Advice needed on a possible purchase of a Hurley 22

makka64

Visit site
Is it just me or do the engine bearers look a bit strange? That plate on which the engine is mounted looks to be bowed, so I wonder of the knocking noise reported by the owner is caused by a misaligned prop shaft?
I think he knows what the problem is - hence the rapid drop in price over a couple of weeks. The mooring fees are 244pcm, just to eat into the pocket a bit more.

makka64

Visit site
The Vire is a very simple two stroke engine and given that spares are available, if you've ever worked on a BSA Bantam, it shouldn't give you any trouble fixing anything. That said, this one looks to have a Ciba Dyanstart from which I would run screaming. My geriatric Bond 3-wheeler had one back in the late 60's and I ended up fitting it with a kickstarter. You don't have room for one BTW and the old Bond did at least have a basic Villiars bike engine and gearbox. You would have difficulty finding a replacement engine and gearbox as the 1GM and 1GM10 seem to have been discontinued and anyway it's not a job for a tyro amateur mechanic. An outboard on a bracket would certainly serve but you's be looking at best part of a grand even for a second hand one.

If you're looking for a hobby, go for it, by all means. They are generally sound wee boats and a touch of epoxy and glass wouldn't break you bank. If you want just to go sailing, get something more together.
I considered an outboard. It would be a good alternative. When you can pick a decent secondhand Hurley up for 3-4k I don't see the benefit of throwing cash at this.

makka64

Visit site
Any boat of this age needing major engine works and a new interior is a money pit. Avoid if your good lady isn’t one to fix or finance these things.
I agree with you totally. I said it was too much of a risk, They are not that expensive to find in good condition and there's no justification in throwing money at it to make it into something that we can buy which doesn't need work.

convex

N/A
Visit site
The knocking sound might just be the limits of the sound recording, do you want to send the link to us?

The Vires really aren't that bad and a lot easier to work on than a diesel. There is a Vire guy. Touble is, to find one with a diesel is going to add a couple of grand to the price and kick you up into another league as far as other boats go.

I'd have a Hurley 22. I'd say it was a good starter boat. There's a lot of tired ones around the £500 range, a nice Ravensail might go for £2000+ and justly so. People might ask more. I just passed on a real bargain, £800 for one with new sails and a trailer because some guy was moving home. If it's been a bilge keeler, I would have jumped at it. It was a long keel.

Other thing to ask is about spade rudder vs skeg configuration. I'd pefer a skeg but I suppose if it is a fin it's not such an issue. Check also for mast compressed cabin top, many have reinforcement there.

There a few similar boats, ie Magnifik Midget 23. Or, if you prefer a sporty twin keeler, a Pandora 22. Even a Hurley 20 if sporty isn't her ambition (I'm presuming she not so tall?).

chrisedwards

Visit site
Galvanised pipe around rudder stock rusted through at bottom with nearly catastrophic outcome.

Hull / deck joint parted by half an inch by way of shrouds - no mechanical fastenings - just poor bonding.