A fun bluewater boat around 40'?

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
You miss the point. The OP is looking for a bluewater boat to sail bluewater. That's the post.
And with all due respect to your experience, a blue water boat can be different to yours. Theres not one type only. Personally I wouldnt get out of bed for any monohull, though I’m not about to try and foist my views on the OP. Designers and builders have largely moved on too. New arrivals in the bluewater sailing scene have different tastes, thats all.

geem

Visit site
And with all due respect to your experience, a blue water boat can be different to yours. Theres not one type only. Personally I wouldnt get out of bed for any monohull, though I’m not about to try and foist my views on the OP. Designers and builders have largely moved on too. New arrivals in the bluewater sailing scene have different tastes, thats all.
Who would you describe as building bluewater boats? Certainly the latest production boats aren't. A handful of French builders are building in aluminium, often lifting keel. There are several here in Ponta Delgada. Bluewater boats will always be limited in numbers. Few people want to pay to have one built. They are expensive. The Mike Pocock designs look good but you could buy a modern production boat of the same length for half the cost.
It would be interested to know what your choice of cat for a circumnavigation would be. A friend is about to put his Nautitech 40 open on the market and buy a bluewater monohull. A few of us buck the trend

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Who would you describe as building bluewater boats? Certainly the latest production boats aren't. A handful of French builders are building in aluminium, often lifting keel. There are several here in Ponta Delgada. Bluewater boats will always be limited in numbers. Few people want to pay to have one built. They are expensive. The Mike Pocock designs look good but you could buy a modern production boat of the same length for half the cost.
It would be interested to know what your choice of cat for a circumnavigation would be. A friend is about to put his Nautitech 40 open on the market and buy a bluewater monohull. A few of us buck the trend
My choice would certainly not be Nautitech. Probably Dazcat, the cost would be immaterial if we were selling up to sail. And you’re agreeing with me in that nobody is production building your traditional bluewater boats. Anything can cross an ocean if it’s big enough to carry the supplies. It’s now down to whatever you like to live on and whatever you like to sail. And applying suitable seamanship skills to your chosen boat.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
My choice would certainly not be Nautitech. Probably Dazcat, the cost would be immaterial if we were selling up to sail. And you’re agreeing with me in that nobody is production building your traditional bluewater boats. Anything can cross an ocean if it’s big enough to carry the supplies. It’s now down to whatever you like to live on and whatever you like to sail. And applying suitable seamanship skills to your chosen boat.
What's a production boat, is a Hylas / Outbound a blue water boat I and many would say it is yet it's in production and several are / have been made each year. The same could be said for many yachts particularly older ones designed by the likes of Perry, Crealock et al.

Sea Change

Visit site
I know a guy- professional sailor who came very close to putting together a Vendée campaign- who chose a Nautitech when he went sailing with his family. Did a half circumnavigation and sold the boat in Australia.

Maybe the choice of boat just isn't that important 🤷‍♂️😂

Wansworth

Visit site
Maybe we should go back to the original question…….aFUN blue water boat up to forty foot with aft cockpit that doesn’t slap at anchour.

First define blue water……in the days of Hiscock who probably coined the phrase there were no marinas,no www,no water makers you had to be self sufficient in all things including multip anchours and rodeos good tankage and storage……These days it seems it’s possible to sail between marinas…even to Cape Horn.

Even so surely the criteria for a blue water boat is an easy motion at sea,ability to hove to,provide shelter from the elements especially the sun.

All this could assume a vessel capable of being loaded without affecting performance.

Does that fit with a Fun performance?

dunedin

Visit site
Yawn. There are modern boats that are good for blue water sailing, including some mentioned here. As we have ascertained, you have no personal experience of sailing oceans in any modern boat of the types suggested.
Others have, including cross oceans on them. And many have sailed round the world. Some choose more fun boats which sail a bit faster, do do longer daily averages, whilst still being able to look after the crew and carry loads. As chiara says, it isn’t just one type which is good for blue water.
And Kraken make a handful of interesting boats - but the articles are extremely biased and ludicrously emotive. As Tranona pointed out, often trying to use examples from pure extreme race boats. Like Land Rover saying you need to buy a Land Rover to tow a horse box, because a Formula One car has poor ground clearance.

Bobc

Visit site
I'll tell Biffa that you'll be putting your order in then ;-)

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
To add more to the Bluewater / production boat saga/

No one would argue that Halberg Rassy didn't produce Bluewater cruising boats and very good ones and they were also production boat builders producing relatively large numbers. However their latest products the 44 and 50 whilst no doubt will cross oceans to me with their wide transoms twin spade rudders, plumb bows don't fill me with a great deal of confidence although I would happily cruise the western Atlantic and continental shelf in them given modern forecasting and forecast availability, Orcas permitting of course as those twin rudders must seem very attractive to them.

Wansworth

Visit site

No one would argue that Halberg Rassy didn't produce Bluewater cruising boats and very good ones and they were also production boat builders producing relatively large numbers. However their latest products the 44 and 50 whilst no doubt will cross oceans to me with their wide transoms twin spade rudders, plumb bows don't fill me with a great deal of confidence although I would happily cruise the western Atlantic and continental shelf in them given modern forecasting and forecast availability, Orcas permitting of course as those twin rudders must seem very attractive to them.
Where is the soft buoyancy in a plumb bow,even the Vikings knew that……..

Supertramp

Visit site

I remember a Patrick Laine video where he crossed the Atlantic in his Bongo(?) and had to pause every so often to clear weed of his twin rudders.

Now for me that would not be fun, nor would sailing over a pot line, something I have managed several times with a long keel without drama. But others will take the fun part and accept the risk and limitations the design imposes.

The beauty of sailing is everyone finds their balance of features, design, cost etc. Back to the OP with his sorted but frisky Typhoon, I would explore self steering and autopilot systems before condemning the boat. Several thousand on a powerful and responsive system is probably cheaper than changing boat.

But as this thread reveals there are many other factors to consider.

dunedin

Visit site

But that is just perhaps your older preferences. Wide sterns and twin rudders are VERY well proven as suitable for blue water, and indeed Roaring Forties - provided well engineered. Broach less and smoother downwind in big waves, which trade wind sailing tends to be.
Again not suggesting they are the only solution, but there is no single best blue water boat. Somebody just completed his circumnavigation on the Gobal Solo Challenge successfully on an X-37 - https://globalsolochallenge.com/louis-robein-4-en/

Not a boat I would choose, and definitely at the small and sporty end of their range (whereas the Xc38 is their blue water cruiser equivalent), but again it shows that there is no single design for a “blue water boat”. Many older slower long keelers failed on similar voyages, eg GGR, many being capsized and some sinking. Assume the experienced X-37 sailor kept speed on when possible.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
But that is just perhaps your older preferences. Wide sterns and twin rudders are VERY well proven as suitable for blue water, and indeed Roaring Forties - provided well engineered. Broach less and smoother downwind in big waves, which trade wind sailing tends to be.
Again not suggesting they are the only solution, but there is no single best blue water boat. Somebody just completed his circumnavigation on the Gobal Solo Challenge successfully on an X-37 - https://globalsolochallenge.com/louis-robein-4-en/

Not a boat I would choose, and definitely at the small and sporty end of their range (whereas the Xc38 is their blue water cruiser equivalent), but again it shows that there is no single design for a “blue water boat”. Many older slower long keelers failed on similar voyages, eg GGR, many being capsized and some sinking. Assume the experienced X-37 sailor kept speed on when possible.
That's the point about modern designs with broad transoms that they need to be sailed and attended too, with so much buoyancy in the stern of those with a broad transom the danger is with big following and quartering seas that the stern is picked up and they go nose down with the fine entry of the plumb bow not giving a lot of resistance? that requires a lot of work on the helm to control the boat and prevent broaching, not what you want on a long term cruising boat.

dunedin

Visit site
That's the point about modern designs with broad transoms that they need to be sailed and attended too, with so much buoyancy in the stern of those with a broad transom the danger is with big following and quartering seas that the stern is picked up and they go nose down with the fine entry of the plumb bow not giving a lot of resistance? that requires a lot of work on the helm to control the boat and prevent broaching, not what you want on a long term cruising boat.
Actually it is probably the exact opposite. Easier to sail downwind, less rolling and rudders grip better. Bows nowadays getting wider above the waterline also.
And surely nobody helms across oceans these days, unless for fun with the big kite up. 99% of miles done under autopilots, which are more skilled than any normal human.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Actually it is probably the exact opposite. Easier to sail downwind, less rolling and rudders grip better. Bows nowadays getting wider above the waterline also.
And surely nobody helms across oceans these days, unless for fun with the big kite up. 99% of miles done under autopilots, which are more skilled than any normal human.
Well I don't know as Ive never sailed a fat arse boat in a big following sea, sailed several narrow stern and canoe stern boats in those conditions when either a good wind vane or powerful autopilot kept the boat on track. From all I've read though it seems that the extra buoyancy does lead to less course stability with a tendency to broach if not continually corrected. Auto pilots often fail and are often underpowered, the only ones I have real faith in are those motors installed in solid linkage systems like Jeffa and the old Whitlock now Lewmar.

Last edited:

papaver19

Visit site
Back to the OP with his sorted but frisky Typhoon, I would explore self steering and autopilot systems before condemning the boat. Several thousand on a powerful and responsive system is probably cheaper than changing boat.

This is not the problem. My B&G autopilot (Hydra 2000 CPU driving new T2 ram, Super Halcyon compass etc) and my upgraded Hydrovane (new, bigger rudder, bobbin mods done etc) work very well, no complaints there. No real difference in seakeeping between them - they both have the same hull to deal with.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
Attainable Adventure Cruising (AAC) www.morganscloud.com has an interesting project, designing an affordable sailing yacht for blue water cruising. There is a design brief and a naval architect engaged to provide the design. What is interesting, is that there is a mix of old and new features in the hull shape as well as in other design areas. The brief is based on and derived from significant blue water sailing experience. Worth a look as it is quite pertinent to how this discussion has developed, and it is not a skeg mounted rudder, encapsulated keel boat.

AAC is a subscription service but they issue free articles from time to time and a few articles associated with the “The Adventure 40” are free to read.

List of all the articles, and access to the free articles The Adventure 40 Offshore Sailboat. Note that the free articles are mixed amongst the subscription articles.

As far as I am aware, the design is more or less complete, a yard has been consulted and stuff is getting finalized for a build, with apparently some folks seriously committed with the readies. We shall see. However, the point is, this a design for blue water sailing based on deep experience.

I have no skin in their game, I just find their thought process fascinating.