Who should be blamed in this collision???

l'escargot

Visit site
You'd be the first to complain as the costs of 'A dozen or so container ships and tankers delayed' is passed on the consumer!

Wake up to the real world of being at sea!

What real world at sea are you referring to? In the grand scheme of things any cost when it reached me would be barely measurable. Just like the cost of a traffic jam on the M1 or a day of reorganised deliveries because of the Great South Run.

Sans Bateau

Visit site
Is it not impossible then to set a course in the massive expanse of the Solent without it crossing the route in from the East that is used by commercial shipping?

Or would you expect the ISC and the RYS to get together and put pressure on to have Fawley shut down during Cowes week if its not possible to set such a course.

Or maybe better would be for race organisers to issue a large photograph of a ship to each competitor so they will recognise one when one appears, so they understand to stay out of its way.

flaming

Visit site
Very enlightening, indicative of a mindset
"Which leaves 19.5 hours of empty solent that ships could use if it is seen as a problem to have them coming through racing fleets."
So "racing fleets" are seen as an entity that have to be negotiated? Racing boats have to comply with the rules the same as everyone else!
Stay behind and do a hundred lines!
"When I am racing I am the same as everyone else!"
Stu

You even quoted the bit where I said - "I don't believe this"..

As anyone who actually reads what I write would know, I am very firmly with you on having no special rights, and have been known to apologise to cruising boats who have just been yelled at without cause by another racer.

But it's an interesting point that everyone assumes that if there is a review at any point that says "yacht races starting or finishing on the squadron line are incompatible with large merchant traffic" then the yacht races would stop.

Why that way round?

Why not just use the many other hours of the day to bring the merchants in? Even the big tankers restricted to high tide would still have access on the other tide in the 24 hour cycle.

Again, I don't see that as necessary - based on a lot of racing at Cowes, and in those waters generally, there is not a general problem with the interaction of ships and racers.

neale

Visit site
Why not move the races to the western Solent where there is much reduced commercial traffic? I don't mean Yarmouth, just west of Cowes just outside the area of concern.

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Why not move the races to the western Solent where there is much reduced commercial traffic? I don't mean Yarmouth, just west of Cowes just outside the area of concern.

Spectators. Cowes Week is good for Cowes, and it's not just the competitors who spend money. Plenty of kiss-me-quicks go over to watch the racing. If the starts and finishes were off Gurnard, rather than the Green, it would diminish hugely as a spectacle.

neale

Visit site
Spectators. Cowes Week is good for Cowes, and it's not just the competitors who spend money. Plenty of kiss-me-quicks go over to watch the racing. If the starts and finishes were off Gurnard, rather than the Green, it would diminish hugely as a spectacle.

OK, Fairy nuff. It was a genuine question and, as someone who has no knowledge of Cowes week (being a Moboer), seemed like a logical solution.

Perhaps it could be re-named 'Gurnard week' :D

VicS

Visit site
Or would you expect the ISC and the RYS to get together and put pressure on to have Fawley shut down during Cowes week
It's not just Fawley!

Typically there are 2 or 3 large ( ie more than 150m LOA) tankers arriving per day at Esso Fawley
In addition a similar number of huge container ships bound for the container port, several large cruise liners and a number of other large ships.

Don't forget there are the same number of departures!

The compensation the shipping companies and port operators would expect for the delays and the knock on effects would put an end to Cowes week.

fireball

Visit site
The compensation the shipping companies and port operators would expect for the delays and the knock on effects would put an end to Cowes week.

However Southampton VTS know all about Cowes week and when the racing is - as should the Pilots bringing the vessels in - if they thought it a particular issue then they could (and may already do so) change the docking time for that vessel.

I believe all the authorities in the Solent already liaise with the Cowes week organisers to minimise disruption - both to racing and commercial vessels.

Sans Bateau

Visit site
I can just imagine the hoots of laughter in the offices of say CMA CGM, being asked if they can delay the docking of one of their container vessels until the days racing is over.:D:D

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
I can just imagine the hoots of laughter in the offices of say CMA CGM, being asked if they can delay the docking of one of their container vessels until the days racing is over.:D:D

Ah !

But what would happen if Prince Philip decided to take up racing again.

I bet they close the roads when he fires his coach and horses up.

Poignard

Visit site
A solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

This thread is in danger of losing anywhat little sense of proportion it ever had. There's no need to find a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. An isolated, non-fatal incident in which a yacht skipper appears to have made a simple error of judgmment, and people are suggesting closing the UK's major seaport to shipping!

Scotty_Tradewind

Me: South Oxfordshire. Boat, Galicia NW Spain
Visit site
This thread is in danger of losing anywhat little sense of proportion it ever had. There's no need to find a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. An isolated, non-fatal incident in which a yacht skipper appears to have made a simple error of judgmment, and people are suggesting closing the UK's major seaport to shipping!

Felixstowe possibly more important for trading purposes.... that's an idea, move Cowes week up there! ;)

dancrane

Visit site
QUOTE (Parsifal): "There's no need to find a solution to a problem that doesn't exist."

Well, that's only down to good luck...it's a problem that very nearly did exist - nearly enough for one crew member to jump o/b, expecting a catastrophic denoument.

I've read every entry here, and been ready to switch sides, according to convincing evidence presented...but it's enduringly difficult to deny the aspects that started out as obvious:

- however well acquainted with the course changes typically made by large ships in the vicinity, this skipper was gambling unwisely with the yacht's wellbeing, by steering anything like as close to her probable path as he so spectacularly did.

- the spinnaker. That pink balloon draped in Hollywood-esque style over the ship's anchor, sums up the racing skipper's total folly and undeniable responsibility, to me. Just as if, on icy roads, a car crash victim's foot was shown to have been hard down on the accelerator.

I don't see that the yacht had any cause to be as close as she was to peril, nor any need to be of reduced manoeuvrability whilst in that tight spot.

The skipper committed himself and the boat and crew to a hopeful chance that didn't allow a hasty, last-minute change of heart...and being under full racing sail, he was unable to do anything but wait for the crunch.

I say there's no need to re-route or re-schedule commercial shipping, or the race-courses and times; but there's every reason to ensure all competitors fully recognise an absolutely unbendable racing rule that instantly disqualifies any competitor steering into any ship's path.

As soon as toying with shipping is recognised as a race-loser, rather than just a mere life-and-death risk (which many of these halfwits actually relish), the racers will steer clear.

fireball

Visit site
Well, that's only down to good luck...it's a problem that very nearly did exist - nearly enough for one crew member to jump o/b, expecting a catastrophic denoument.
So - everyone else who misses the big ships in the Solent is just lucky?! Don't think so ...

I don't see that the yacht had any cause to be as close as she was to peril, nor any need to be of reduced manoeuvrability whilst in that tight spot.
You're right - you don't see ... you can't - it wasn't caught on camera ...

I say there's no need to re-route or re-schedule commercial shipping, or the race-courses and times; but there's every reason to ensure all competitors fully recognise an absolutely unbendable racing rule that instantly disqualifies any competitor steering into any ship's path.
There's already clauses in the instructions - anyone skippering a racing yacht in the Solent and not knowing these instructions or that there are large restricted vessels transiting the "race area" really shouldn't be there and I don't think they are.

As soon as toying with shipping is recognised as a race-loser, rather than just a mere life-and-death risk (which many of these halfwits actually relish), the racers will steer clear.
Are you suggesting that anyone racing is a halfwit? ... seems a bit strange to tarnish THOUSANDS of people with a term when only ONE racing boat actually collided with the tanker ... but I suppose you're entitled to make irrational sweeping statements ...