Who should be blamed in this collision???

dancrane

Visit site
That was a nice thought, Stu.

QUOTE (LADY B) ...why have there been 275 posts, most of them baying for blood?

What does the 'B' stand for, Lady B? I've been racking my brain for the word.

I even Googled a wilful disinclination to acknowledge the obvious...

But no good. Parsifal, I like your recent style and your vocabulary, pray help me out here...

dancrane

Visit site
I'd love to know what the MAIB's work in this case will have cost the taxpayer. :mad:

It reminds me that, apparently, every road death in the UK costs around one million, sterling, in clean-up and road-closures and investigations. And most are the result of some damned fool speeding or chancing his/her luck overtaking. :mad::mad::mad:

Shall we start laying bets, on the likelihood of the yacht's skipper being shown to have pushed his luck, foolishly?

xiaoneitie

Visit site
As I understand it, it is the custom to blame schools, wider society, a deprived background and (very big just now) greedy bankers.

Self will is unfashionable, we are not allowed to be reckless, stupid or egotistical. However those three things get my vote. I just have to figure out if it was the Master of the ship or the Skipper of the yacht?

dancrane

Visit site
Jeepers...there's nothing like a thread coming back from the grave! :eek:

My view hasn't changed at all in ten months since...might had right. No room for doubt, the yacht's skipper took an unreasonable risk.

Umm...was there a MAIB report?

FistralG

Visit site
Baffling!

As I understand it, it is the custom to blame schools, wider society, a deprived background and (very big just now) greedy bankers.

Self will is unfashionable, we are not allowed to be reckless, stupid or egotistical. However those three things get my vote. I just have to figure out if it was the Master of the ship or the Skipper of the yacht?

Jeepers...there's nothing like a thread coming back from the grave! :eek:

My view hasn't changed at all in ten months since...might had right. No room for doubt, the yacht's skipper took an unreasonable risk.

Umm...was there a MAIB report?

Agreed its a incredible thread resurrection but with nothing to add! Why would xiaoneitie as a new user choose to resurrect a thread with a carbon copy of the first reply to the OP!? :confused:

dancrane

Visit site
Agreed its a incredible thread resurrection but with nothing to add! Why would xiaoneitie as a new user choose to resurrect a thread with a carbon copy of the first reply to the OP!? :confused:

Well spotted, Fistral. Is it possible that 'Xiaoneitie' is new to all online fora, and is trying out the system? :confused: :mad:

Actually I'm genuinely curious whether any official comment on the racing yacht/oil tanker collision, was eventually made?

lw395

Visit site
It's strange how this just went quiet?
I never saw any MAIB report, or any official report from ABP.
I did hear rumours with some credibility that the yacht was not to blame.

Did I miss any official fallout, or do the wheels of wrath grind slow in the Solent?
Only a few weeks to Cowes, will there be an exclusion zone pushing the yachts into the tanker channel again?

skipperRO

www.eurosail.ro
From Yachting Monthly - July 2012:
A 20.000-word report on
the collision was put together
by ABP and has been passed
for comment to the Marine
Accident Investigation Branch.

dancrane

Visit site
A 20.000-word report on

Excellent! There should be a conclusion by Christmas, then. (2013?) :rolleyes:

I get the feeling the bodies in charge of marine investigations, are like Charters and Caldicott, bowler-hatted Whitehall clerks more interested in cricket than their work.

skipperRO

www.eurosail.ro
Excellent! There should be a conclusion by Christmas, then. (2013?) :rolleyes:

I get the feeling the bodies in charge of marine investigations, are like Charters and Caldicott, bowler-hatted Whitehall clerks more interested in cricket than their work.

I just wrote to ABP and asked for a copy of their report. Curious about their reply!

And interestingly, from the same article in YM:

Roly Wilson, whose 33ft Corby loop Atalanta of Chester collided
with the oil tanker Hanne Knutsen during Cowes Week last year (see
YachtingM onthly 2011). demanded that the video comissioned by Southampton harbourmaster.. be removed from Cowes Week site.

MrWilson sent a copy of his letter of complaint to YM in which he stated:
"... Clearly, a number of ABP employees should have been investigated
following this incident.'

Why ABP employees should be investigated? Which one? The patrol boat crew maybe?

lw395

Visit site
If it is a 20,000 word report, it is obviously not as simple as many of the interweb experts suggested.

Sinc

Visit site
A 20.000-word report on

No mention of it on the MAIB site as a current investigation.
No results for a search on Hanne Knutsen.

So does anyone know if and how these things become public?