who on the forum uses there boat to

lanerboy

Visit site
go fishing

how many of you owners use your boat to do a spot of fishing, if so what do you do and where

do you just pop out and do a bit of feather dangling
or
do you do a bit more serious stuff if so how far out do you go and what have you caught.

when i get my boat to weymouth i am really looking forward to taking my dad out to do some fishing may start with a bit of mackerel fishing and hopefully will go out a bit deeper and try for something with a bit more fight in it
so come on how big was yours really ;)

Last edited:

Quest

Visit site
I used to do a fair bit on my previous boat, but having just recently upgraded to a 34' Sports Cruiser, a bit like you, all of a sudden I'm really not so keen on the idea of blood, guts and scales all over this newer, posher item! Not sure I shall be doing much in the immediate future.
Andrew:(

PaulGooch

www.boat-fishing.co.cc
go fishing

how many of you owners use your boat to do a spot of fishing, if so what do you do and where

do you just pop out and do a bit of feather dangling
or
do you do a bit more serious stuff if so how far out do you go and what have you caught.

when i get my boat to weymouth i am really looking forward to taking my dad out to do some fishing may start with a bit of mackerel fishing and hopefully will go out a bit deeper and try for something with a bit more fight in it
so come on how big was yours really ;)

Might have been a couple of times :)

Tope, The Wash :

P1000751.jpg

These were off the Suffolk Coast :

P1020224.jpg

P1020347.jpg

matt13

Visit site
If I feel like it I will chuck my rod over but have only ever caught seaweed in the Solent. A mate caught a garfish while we were at Osborne bay and as he was on my boat I decided to claim it :)

lanerboy

Visit site
I used to do a fair bit on my previous boat, but having just recently upgraded to a 34' Sports Cruiser, a bit like you, all of a sudden I'm really not so keen on the idea of blood, guts and scales all over this newer, posher item! Not sure I shall be doing much in the immediate future.
Andrew:(

i will just fish off the bathing platform and wash the blood and guts of with the shower before the wife spots it, if i catch anything that is :D

Elza_Skip

Visit site
Mostly i just do mackrel fishing off the swim platform and got Pollack on the same rig. sometimes dangle a jelly lure or a plug but not caught anything like that.

Had more luck on my old boat when I took a keen sea fishing friend out and we baited up properly with lugworm and squid

Baddox

Visit site
I bought my boat mainly to go fishing from. We head out to fish anywhere between 1/4 of a mile up to about 12 miles. This gives depths of up to 300ft, which is a long way to winch a good fish from.

carlton

Visit site
We've only recently started and it's just been mackerel we've aimed for/caught so far, but I may buy some different lures and try for something bigger.

We landed 9 in 1½ hour's gentle trolling last month...

IMG-20120908-00591.jpg

Lost 3 more at the bathing platform as they wriggled off the hook!

PaulGooch

www.boat-fishing.co.cc
We've only recently started and it's just been mackerel we've aimed for/caught so far, but I may buy some different lures and try for something bigger.

We landed 9 in 1½ hour's gentle trolling last month...

IMG-20120908-00591.jpg

Lost 3 more at the bathing platform as they wriggled off the hook!

Couple of trips ago, we caught 70 Mackerel in 20-30 mins, two of us :)

We usually stop at 100 or so, or it's too much like hard work to gut them all.

PaulGooch

www.boat-fishing.co.cc
Mackerel are a Summer fish, best caught with a string of feathers. We have best results with white ones (string of 6). They do tend to make a mess, fair bit of blood and the poo everywhere. A mate commented about that and i said to him "if something 100 times bigger than you jumped out the water and dragged you in, you'd poo yourself) :D

Confined to the swim platform, you should be fine. Keep a bucket handy and just rinse any mess off. We've fished off of ours for four years and with a little care have not messed anything up at all.

Fishing for Skate, Bass Smoothhounds, Cod, etc doesn't make much mess at all. Not a bad way to while an afternoon away whilst anchored offshore, or even drifting and you get a free tea.

Visit site
Isn't that what boats are for lol!
We bought a fishing boat as we are all mad keen fishermen. Upgraded from a 17ft cathedral hull to a 21ft Colvic which now gives us a loo, cooker and bunks so we can do overnighters as well.
We fish in and around Milford Haven and out around the heads in that area.
Catches are dogfish (in excess of 1.75 million now I think), Huss, Thornies, Pollock, Cod, Gurnard, Conger, Wrasse, Gurnard, Mackies and the ever elusive Bass.
We bottom fish in the bays/Haven or use lures over the reefs.
Excellent fishing for kids here too...always doggies to catch, and a "spotted sand shark" to a 10 year old is the perfect day!
Winter next, so its in the marina and fishing up the Haven for cod.....

Visit site
As with Paul Gooch I have been known to dangle the odd line.
Weymouth was my old stomping ground and now Poole and from each location we fish from a few yards off land across as far as the Isle of Wight, t'other way as far as Exmouth and across to the channel islands.

Happy to offer some advice on marks, tactics, times of year etc.

Depending on your boat I can give you some offshore fishing tips too and maybe one or two fishable wrecks (without giving you the charter skippers top secrets...).

What boat are you getting and what are your fishing aspirations?
If you plan some serious offshore or cross channel forays then I would thoroughly recommend joining Poole Bay Small Boat Angling Club (http://www.pbsbac.co.uk).
Based a little east of you they have a regular set of boats that fish mid channel and across in Alderney and Guernsey several times a year.
In addition, http://www.worldseafishing.com is a very good place to get started. Run by a wannabe dictator with some very scary SS guards as mods, but on the whole it is an excellent place to get stuck in, fishingwise.