Going to France with a 50hp Mariner Outboard?

stranded

Visit site
I had a couple of perfect 14 day holidays in N Brittany onboard my little 5.5m Shetland. A quick 2 hour crossing every time with the boat on the trailer on DFDS ferrys
Stress free, safe, and the car nearby when we wanted a day ashore
That sounds like a cracking idea - I’ve a couple of times when encountering unforecast, if not unexpected, horribly confused seas off the north Brittany coast wished I had done that - and that’s in a 44ft, 14 ton blue water sailing boat!

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
We used to occasionally trail our Dragonfly 800 to southern Brittany for events. The channel crossing was fine, but the bit around the western tip was deemed unsuitable for children by both adults on board.

Stemar

Visit site
We used to occasionally trail our Dragonfly 800 to southern Brittany for events. The channel crossing was fine, but the bit around the western tip was deemed unsuitable for children by both adults on board.
That sounds like an excellent face-saving excuse ;)

The one time I went round that corner, it was a flat calm, but I've also seen photos of the Phare de la Jument in conditions where the only sensible place to be is 100 miles from the sea, sitting by a fire.

F'rinstance

iu

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
I’ve been round a fair bit, just not with kids aged 2 and 5 on a 26ft tri. As a consequence of that decision, both our kids learned to climb a ladder surprisingly early. The boat makes a very reasonable caravan, but it’s nearly 6ft up.

DownWest

Visit site
Lots of good advice above.
Local friend in the Algarve had a Shetland 5 something on GB reg. It had to be out of Portugal for a day each year to avoid registration probs. 70 hp with a 5hp reserve.
So he asked me to do the trip to Spain for a few years. Set off early to avoid the swell. About 100km (60m) and it was easy. Spent the night in Spain after a good meal and tripped back the next day early. (The fishing boats in the harbour started early, so no chance of sleeping in..)
In your case.. Weather.. And a reserve engine with it's own fuel..