Which 30-ish footer

John_Silver

allatseawithstargazer.blogspot.com
It’s interesting to compare the brokerage DG32 v the JPK 39.
DFing don’t come cheap, that’s for sure. Think the brokerage one (which seems to have every available extra fitted) has been on offer a while - so, possibly asking too near to the new build price. Which, you are right, is higher than that of a JPK 39FC. For a ‘smaller’ boat.

JPK pricing actually seems surprisingly reasonable. Especially given their reputation (Sunrise etc) and notoriously long (4-5 year) waiting list (except in your case :cool: ). Last time I asked, the DF was a ‘next season’ delivery….

EDIT: For cockpit ergonomics (for solo sailing), the JPK 39FC is the benchmark, to me. Everything to hand, whilst sat at the tiller(s). Plus well integrated pilot. Perfect!

Last edited:

John_Silver

allatseawithstargazer.blogspot.com
Dragonfly Trimarans For Sale / Wanted - Dragonfly Trimarans User Forum For private sales. We found ours there. As far as I’m aware, only the Contessa 32 outperforms Dragonfly for second hand value. A top 920 is now about what they were new. Theres a decent turnover of boats on that site, they do sell.
Useful site to know :) And good to confirm that DF’s hold their value :)

The brokerage 32, that I was commenting on the price / apparent slow sale of, was only launched 2022. So pretty close to the cost of a new build. Specced exactly the way a new owner wanted. And with them getting to ‘take the wrappers off.’ Which, given the scale of outlay, for either option, I thought could work against her.

Last edited:

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Useful site to know :) And good to confirm that DF’s hold their value :)

The brokerage 32, that I was commenting on the price / apparent slow sale of, was only launched 2022. So pretty close to the cost of a new build. Specced exactly the way a new owner wanted. And with them getting to ‘take the wrappers off.’ Which, given the scale of outlay, for either option, I thought could work against her.
The 32 is actually quite a big boat. The cost is in the rig and syructure. Renewing the rig will come as a shock to mono owners. Having rebuilt our 920, I’m as aware as anyone. We found ways of doing stuff, or costs would have been much higher. 500m of dyneema offcuts came our way, for instance, at about £600 instead of pushing 5 grand Everything is chunkier than any other 30 footer. To someone looking for a 30 footer, itks the 28 you want, not the 32. It’s 50% bigger and 100% more expensive.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
My twister was £5000 new. I bought it for 3 times that and it's currently worth more than I paid. What's that you say about second had value? ;-)
It was 5 grand in about 1970 I guess. By that measure a battered Westerly Centaur also passes the test. But of boats built in the last 15-20 years…. most AWBs hold value like a lettuce.

bitbaltic

sailingkarisma.wordpress.com
It was 5 grand in about 1970 I guess. By that measure a battered Westerly Centaur also passes the test. But of boats built in the last 15-20 years…. most AWBs hold value like a lettuce.
My Hanse 301 cost about 29k new in 2001; I bought it for 28k in 2011; recent (post covid) sales of comparable sister boats indicate a value of 30-35k. I’ve always worked on the basis that a boat (kept in good seaworthy condition) depreciates at about inflation, at least over 20 odd years, and this is a good baseline to understand what you should expect to receive on sale for any betterment (because a boat is never really an ‘investment’).

The OP states that he’s looking for a 30ft cruiser but then bundles in a set of lightweight/trailerable/performance/shallow draft/small multihull contradictory requirements before indicating a preference for a boat which ticks only some of those boxes in the Swallow Yachts boat which is a monohull. He needs to do more thinking as to which of these things are priorities. Outboard engines are not common on 30ft monohull cruisers, for instance, and lifting keels are not a common attribute of performance boats with carbon rigs.

Can’t help but think a macgregor 26 ticks a lot of these boxes. As that’s long been taken as a reductio ad absurdum the OP would do well to consider any of the boats mentioned and principally decide if he wants a multihull or monohull. If the latter, I’ll throw the Hanse 301 hat in the ring.