Where do you keep your anchor ball?

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
Anchor ball lives at the top of the port (sailing gear) cockpit locker ready to hand as does the motoring cone

Always hoist the anchor ball, it's hardly a chore so why not?

I'll confess to only bothering with the motoring cone when in confined waters and I reckon it's not going to be obvious that I'm motoring with sails up rather than sailing. I'll concede that that's laziness!

Ian_Rob

Visit site
When the intention is to anchor, move on and then anchor again, I have often thought that a ‘day pocket’ in the side of the lazy bag (for those with lazy bags) would be useful.

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
I also find something aesthetic about the anchoring ball, when seen from a distance it seems to fill an empty space, there up front. :giggle:
I also have NUC balls, much less pleasant to see, fingers crossed never had to use them so far.
NUC Branca piccolo.jpg

PetiteFleur

Visit site
Anchor ball and motoring cone stored in front of gas locker. Often used the anchor ball but can't remember when I last used the cone...

arc1

Visit site
Plus it's quite good fun watching the chaos it causes.
Worst was being called on CH16 ,by the yacht nearly a mile away, that had dipped the world's smallest ensign and wondering why we hadn't noticed!

Last edited:

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
The things that might hit me are doing 18kt and I am anchored about half a cable length from the shore - an anchor ball wont make any difference, though I do have 2 balls and a dark fender to raise in daylight hours.

Similarly motor sailing - I am doing snailpace at 4kt - I am stationary as far as they are concerned and my ability or need to get out of the way is not really material

ctva

Visit site
I've never use either an anchor ball or motoring cone, not deliberately but just never got around to it and on the west coast, I cannot recall ever seeing one. In this day and age of AIS, radar, chartplotters and good cheap binos, it is a bit like the old story (may be true of not) of taxis having to carry a bail of hay until recently.

There are a few replies that proffer (and I paraphrase) 'Oh I always use an anchor ball, it's just right and in the regs' and then go on to say that they don't use a motoring cone. Why the contradiction of following one reg but not the other?