When is it going to end?

suzanne

Visit site
My flat mate WAS on the Southampton Institite Sailing Team, last week they had a meeting and she came home furious. Not sure I understand but apparently there are 2 boats and all the males on the team have said that they refuse to sail with more than 1 female on each boat. The Captain who is female has agreed to the mens/boys demands and so surprise, surprise, she is on one boat and her best friend (even more of a surprise) is on the other.

I remember when I was on the Thames I used to get sniddy little comments about 'whats a female doing at the helm' and 'theres no way she is going to beable to handle that boat' and that was just from fellow club members.

You sort of expect this sort of sexism in more mature boaters stuck in their ways, but to see this attitude from 18-22 year olds i think is disgusting. When is this going to end and women going to be seen as equals? on a boat that is!

<hr width=100% size=1>Suzanne xXx

jimi

Visit site
Get your own boat and outsail the immature little fascist pigs!

<hr width=100% size=1>
sailboat_e0.gif

NorthernWave

Visit site
I wonder do they think that if you are a woman then you are too weak to cope??? (not my view)

As for women being good at the helm, I wish I got a pound for every comment made when my Nat is driving. She will show up a lot of men and soon will have her masters to prove she can too.

When I teach windsurfing and I think the same goes for boating, I find that women think about the situation in a logical manner whereas men try to use grunt and force to get them out of trouble. This tends to help the ladies learn the techniques correctly and thus quicker. (although when they get better, strength and weight does start becoming an issue)

I wonder if there is much to gain from women being on the team because they tend to be lighter?

Chris

P.S. Nice to see another young boater out there, starting to thing it's just us!!!

<hr width=100% size=1>Logged Sea Miles wanted for masters. Send PM if your on south coast and want skipper or crew.

syd

Visit site
BLOODY CHEEK!

I'm a mature boater (very young looking though) and often SHARE the helm with Debbie and both my daughters.

Stuck in our ways?? Sexist? Your splashing the old tar about with a statement like that Suzanne.

Now look, I've lost me bloody dummy now!

Syd :)

<hr width=100% size=1>

Visit site
Suzanne,

Couldn't agree more, I used to skipper a flotilla of thirty footers in Turkey, the majority were hired by couples, with the husband on the helm bellowing orders at his wife who was left sprinting up and down trying to fend off, throw lines, drop anchors etc. in order to try to recover from his cock-ups. I always insisted that all couples took turns (usually under the pretext of safety, that the wife should be able to handle the yacht should husband go AWOL) without exception the women were equal if not better at handling the boats and it always opened the men's eyes to see things from the other side.

I wonder how many on this forum genuinely allow their partners the chance to take charge of boat handling?

<hr width=100% size=1>

DepSol

Visit site
This is just begging for a sexist male chauvenist comment but unfortunately I havent got the balls to do it ;-)

<hr width=100% size=1>Dom

2003 is going to be a good year for me

Viking

Visit site
Re: Just keep trying

I was a skipper on a charter boat (yacht) which developed engine problems had a difficult job tacking up a narrow river into a strong head wind back to the marina. I had a 'older' mature lady shall we say and a young 'mouthy' guy with his girlfriend as crew. Of the crew he was a completely and uterly useless.
I was going into a club race single handed, One of the 'older' lady club members (+70) asked to crew. After two days of racing. We came second.
The prevous week, I had two Admirals Cup sailors as crew, one being an owner skipper - Eighth. Lost the trophy I won single-hand the prevous year.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
Umm, i'm guilty on this one, and always park in marinas. I think we felt apprehensive with 50 foot and so not sure she wd much fancy starting with 23m. I offer others to have a go and only the kids (boys again) say go on then, and the 14yearold can pretty much get the thing out, and is getting there with putting it back in. I think at the larger boats, power and sail, in a marina, the driving is absolutley everything - there's no jumping or leaping or pushing, just hang about with a fender really. The driver has to put the boat in pretty much exactly the right spot, and that's it.

Mind you, once i left her on the boat and went off in a dinghy to see another boat with kids. Returned in 30mins to find no boat, Hm.

It had drifted in busy anchorage, so rather than try and reset it she flashed up the engines, got the anchor up, and burbled around the bay waiting for us to turn up. So, she's obviously just humouring me by not driving.

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

You mean you should be in the kitchen etc etc
I see what u mean

<hr width=100% size=1>

NorthernWave

Visit site
Speaking of ribs, just to rub salt in, my girlfriend can get our 4 hp rib planning!!! My 14 stone won't let it!!!! For me to get it planning I have to have her in the Birchwood hammering along so I can surf the wake THEN I get the sodding thing moving!!

Chris

<hr width=100% size=1>Logged Sea Miles wanted for masters. Send PM if your on south coast and want skipper or crew.

byron

RIP
Visit site
<font color=blue>From when you were little do you remember Jill the female member of the Thames Valley Police's Underwater Unit. Well! she's still around and now the sergeant in charge of the team.... she's still the best damn boat handler on the Thames.

<hr width=100% size=1>http://www.alexander-advertising.co.uk

hlb

RIP
Visit site
I've always found the oposite. Problem. Tutts quite happy to wander round with fenders, big heavy ropes and dropping anchors off heaving deck. But wont attempt to drive the boat. On the rare times that she has it has been a complete disaster, even aiming at rocks from miles out at sea.. Hope I never fall in.

<hr width=100% size=1>
ship_in_a_bottle_e0.gif
Haydn

Mangusta

N/A
Visit site
Re: When reality sets in

Suzi darling, the trick is to let them do everything. Our role is looking the part and dishing out orders to the sniveling little pervos. Girls who want to do everything well, they just aren't girls.

You should join us for a few weeks on our summer cruise and you will soon get the picture about life on board.

<hr width=100% size=1>

paulineb

Visit site
Quite right too. I agree with you 100%. Of course women belong in the kitchen and in the galley - it's their rightful place in the scheme of things. We're much happier cooking, cleaning, ironing and waiting on our menfolk.

After all, that's what WIFE stands for doesn't it Washing, Ironing, Etc.

I know my place and that's looking after Mr B's every need and the world would be a better place if more women had the same attitude.

<hr width=100% size=1>Pxx

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.paulinebeddoes.co.uk/php-cgi/gallery>The Perils of Pauline in Pics</A> <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by kimhollamby on 13/03/2003 18:47 (server time).</FONT></P>

ccscott49

Visit site
Suzanne, mature boaties are much more likely to allow as many females onboard, as the boat will carry, I'd much rather be talking to ladies than men, I can talk to men at work!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Confused

Visit site
Suzanne

Just accept facts that women physically have smaller feet than men

this is natures way of saying that they can get closer to the kitchen sink

You cant fight nature and how we all evolved

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bettsy-lou.cjb.net>http://www.bettsy-lou.cjb.net</A>