What Happen? We want the gory details

CliveG

Visit site
Come on chaps.
There must be some interesting stories to be told.

There are rumors of boats turning back.
Who made it and who made a seaman like decision and returned?

asj1

Home: North Bucks, Boat: Suffolk Work :central Lon
Visit site
Probably the worst weather for a weeks sailing I have experienced, a wet, windy and cold time had by all. We logged 273 miles and had a great time, and the longest trip by far for Onia, this is how it went for us....
Saturday left at 4:00am, good crossing till half way but then deteriorated with rain, poor visiibility and F7 winds gusting to 35kts. Couldn't get 3rd reef in, and 2nd was poorly rigged, and needed help from engine to make Ostend entrance. Saw another yacht being towed in by lifeboat as we arrived - which was a bit worrying , one crew unable to surface for last few hours. Crossing took 15 hours.
Sunday, up the coast to Vlissingen, good sail, much calmer weather, but mis calculated tides and arrived after dark in Vlissingen, not wise for a busy port not visited before.
Monday 5 miles through canal to Middleburg, meal with crew of Matrix
Tuesday on to Goes - picture postcard pretty. 19 miles. F5 gusting
Weds to Zerikzee, difficult motoring direct into winds up to 27 kts, but only 15 miles
Thursday to Roompot Marina 8 miles in F5
Friday leave at 6, through lock with Matrix. Wind only F2 -- what a change, managed only 5 hours sailing, so a long trip of 21.5 hours to arrive back at the starting point in the Orwell almost precisely to the hour a week after leaving.... and then woke up after 5 hours sleep to the summer ! we went the wrong week I think !!

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
We delayed our departure until Sunday 2am given the weather forecast, and the fact that Full Circle turned up at Ipswich having been battered and rinsed down the Thames Estuary and deciding quite sensibly that it wasn't fun!

Sunday crossing was Ok.... 20kts reach for the first half 3kts downwind roll for the second half... 16hrs....

We then spent 4 nights in Oostende completely storm bound with very high winds (at one point a gust of 55kts) and the swell coming into the harbour.... several sleepless nights of checking warps, fairleads etc etc for us and most other crews.... we communicated with the guys who had made Vlissingen... and envied them the shelter of the inland waterways.... but did meet with BarryT, another forumite... nice to meet you Barry.

Thursday it moderated a bit, so we dived down to Dunkerque in a great 20kt reach, Friday over to Ramsgate with no wind at all, and Saturday back to Ipswich with first half beating in 12kts and glassy smooth for the second half.... (it did get back up to 20kts as we approached Walton and the sea breeze kicked in, but it was right on the nose!)

So half completely storm weather, and half stinkin' hot but no wind.... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

All in all 9 boats made it, out of the 14 or so who had expressed interest... so not bad.... just a shame that so few were in the same place at the same time!

FullCircle

Visit site
We left at 0130 Friday morning, having met another friend who had already been out and returned due to fog in the Thames Estuary.
Mist was OK , and we went out along to Long Sand, motiring for first 3 hours. Then at Long Sand Head, (low water) we turned right into a choppy swell, and at 0630 Thames Coastguard gave an imminent gale warning, SW. One of our crew had alsready been sick, and the three day cast said the wind was going round to the north, which is rubbish for coming back. We had to return Monday.
I made the decision to go back towards nearest port of Harwich, 3 1/2 hours through rain and rising crap.
We decided to go up to Ipswich, as there was an absolute rake of racing boats pouring out of Levington by 1000ish. Colin the forumite shouted Hello, which was nice.
We got to Ipswich where I had a locker full of wet oiles and a Webasto refusing to burn diesel and dry them. The fault went away after 30 minutes of inactivity. Weird.
Waited for Magna Carter and co to turn up which they did late Friday evening.
Saturday was OK, and all breakfast were served on Full Circle inc the Crew of Magna.
I rigged Lynn's birthday present. This is a hammock, which strings between the pushpit and the mast, and works a treat, but a bit wobbly for the unpractised or unwary. I got wet while doing this.
Magna Carter set out in the afternoon rain to pick up a buoy at Levington. We followed out about an hour later, and had a lovely drift downwind on the Orwell, saw Magna Carter and waved as we passed them! They were waiting the arrival of Vreny (Kas) for the crossing that night.
P1010075.jpg

We continued out of the Orwell, and turned right up the Stour, and decided to continue until we ran aground on a falling tide). We made it to Mistley, but not qute far enough, and had to wait 30 minutes until we had 6 inches under the keel to drift us up to the edge of Mistley, and we fore and aft anchored next to a lovely Gaffer.

P1010086.jpg

We ate well on board, lubricated with enough wine and whisky to keep the mutinous dogs sated.
On the Sunday, we went back down the Stour, and turned right out into the Gunfleet, down past Walton and Clacton. toward Brightlingsea, Thoughts of the marvellous Kovalam Indian had us slavering.
We had a brisk fine reach about halfway F4-F5, which of course turned into F6 on the ruddy nose. We got roughlly level with the Wallet Swatchway, and I looked at the GPS track. Rubbish. Sails away, we motored into Brightlingsea, it was like a Heinkel bomber over lOndon, we were buzzed by hordes of the local Spitfires or Oppies, Lasers, Mirrors and whatever as we waited for the Harbourmaster to show us in.
The [--word removed--] led us to a spot, pointed right and then stood off for the laugh. We are 35 foot, and this gap was 35 foot 3 and a 1/4, and blowing, a bit. Fortunately, some of the other victims of his previous pranks took our lines and dragged us in.
Kovalam was outstanding. Burp, Glug.
We set out on the Monday in a bit of F5 and tried to fly the Cruising chute dead downwind. Mistake. Oops. Wee bit out of control. Fear on faces decided the fate of that stunt. So, we just had the Genny out, making about 6.5-7 knots.
Trouble was, we couldnt go too fast, or we would arrive at the whirl faymus Ray Sand while it would be looking just like a beach. Not hugely recommended, so we shortened to a wrap or 3 of genny, and were still pulling 6 knots. 2 25ish footers screaming up behind us, when it went shallow, 1.8m. And shallower, 1.6m. We furled it all away and went on on tickover engine doing 3.5 kts.
Obviously the 2 following 25ish footers were thinking. Big begger up ahead must draw at least 1.7......boomp thud, boomp thud, Oops.
We carried on serenely showing a monster 1.3m, and got through. Returned up the Crouch to the mooring beam reach, fine reach, beating, sails away and motor. In that order.
So that was our little holiday. Probably the worst 4 consecutive days weather since about 1990.
Nothing the boat could not do, and nothing we could not do, just need to remember that all on board need to enjoy it..... which we did.

Unfortunately, I have had to buy odd beer from Aldo this week, rather than the fill of Wine, beer and choccies from Belgium, but hey! there's always next year......

Laurin

Visit site
Much the same story as Magna Carter for us, but it felt like a big achievement getting across in Vreny. Several sleepless nights in Oostende, culminating in one of Vreny's Fairleads being ripped off. (luckily we retrieved it as it was still flapping around on the mooring line when I got up for a look). This prompted representatives from all 3 boats to go shopping for those rubber springy things to stop the lines snatching... funily enough there weren't many left in the chandlers. Once we had all spent hard earned euros the wind died and a full nights sleep was had by all. All in all an enjoyable week despite the weather.... mainly due to the great company, Thanks all.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
We made the RNSYC website!!!

Sailed on Thursday lunchtime.

[--word removed--] all wind - motored pretty much all the way over. Except for the last 3 hours. Arrived at 02H00 Friday morning - 13 and a half hour crossing.
Took our time mooring - HW. Buoy very hard to lift for a 9 year old.
Other boat - to remain nameless - "don't switch on the light!".
It's nice to know who your friends are - /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Friday - awoke around lunchtime. Dock strangely quiet. God had lost his voice, hence I missed my wake-up call. Quick luch, followed by a couple of beers in the bar whilst waiting for the wife to arrive on the ferry.

wim.jpg

Several hours later - ferry was delayed - retired for sh*t, shave & shower + stiff talking to!
Dinner with Jolie Brise - mediocre steak & more drinks to wash it down.

Saturday - rose from the dead around 10. Run to the bakkery for croissants, etc... . Did not feel better. Think I skipped lunch. Walk around town with wife & kids. Back to the boat around 16H00. Matrix arrived.
RNSYC friends dropped by for a chat & a drink. Out of beer. Never did Champagne taste soo bad. Off to club bar for drinks - they had run out of Duvel! Thank God for that!
RNSYC racers arrived back from Ramsgate - more drinks & merriment at the bar. Jolie Brise joined in.
Very, VERY, nice moules & frieten and a very civilised bottle of wine + desert.
Retired before midnight.

Sunday spent recovering - kids went go karting, wife went shopping. Think I read a book (twice). I can now drink half the amount of beer I could drink when I was 21 and it takes me twice as long to recover.
Retired to bed very early.

Monday - sailed to Ramsgate. Wind mostly NW. Sailed most of the way. Everything from 0kts to 30kts+ gusts in the squalls. Arrived in Ramsgate around 19H00. Very busy due to Dunkirk Small Ships do.

Tuesday - Wednesday - Ramsgate was "closed". Walked, played checkers, watched DVD, read.... Some one had cancelled summer. Sheltered from the storm.

Thursday - Ramsgate -> Burnham. Cracking sail! Average SOG 7.6kts. Just over six hours. Had timed the tides very well!
Lunch at Swallowtail. Left tidy boat behind - kids did a cracking job! Want decent crew ? Breed your own!

Friday - slept!

Phoenix of Hamble

Re: We made the RNSYC website!!!

[ QUOTE ]
God had lost his voice

[/ QUOTE ]Tee Hee.... had still lost his voice by Thursday morning.... but still managed to croak out an insult to the French, and enough hoarse whispers to blame his loss of voice on the 11th Bacardi and too much singing.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Oen

Visit site
Re: We made the RNSYC website!!!

Brief highlights… Slipped Levington at about 0300 Saturday, had a fantastic sail across (less than twelve hours) to Ostende, where we spent a pleasant evening before deciding that the weather favoured getting going the next day (rather than Monday). Another really excellent sail up to Vlissingen where we spent a night at the yacht club by the canal entrance, before motoring to Middelberg next day. Two nights, a lovely evening with the crew of Onia, and a very wet dinghy trip to Arnemuiden later, we went to Goes. Thursday to the Roompot Marina, and then Friday morning we slipped and made it under the bridge at the Rooompotsluis (just – clearance about 40cm!) before motoring homeward. The wind kicked in about three hours out from home, so we concluded with a lovely sail and were on a buoy at Wrabness to watch the sun go down. Then spent the rest of the weekend sailing to Pyefleet and back and generally mucking about before the RHYC hog roast on Sunday afternoon.

All in all, a good trip, though the weather in Holland was very poor. Once again delighted with the boat, and pleased to have met some fellow forumites. Just a shame that the plan to cruise together didn’t come off.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
God??

[ QUOTE ]
enough hoarse whispers to blame his loss of voice on the 11th Bacardi and too much singing.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

God does NOT drink!! Ever!!
(Used too - too much)

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
Cruise in company

[ QUOTE ]
Just a shame that the plan to cruise together didn’t come off.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is - sort of - but I can't say I'm surprised.

Let me explain:

The whole concept of this meet - which has been about longer than this year, is for a couple of blokes to meet in Ostend at a certain date for a couple of drinks & a meal. You got there on your own, you made sure you were on time, you met, you drank, you ate & you left on your own. Not a HUGE event (most of the time 4-5 boats), but a good time was had by all. In short, it worked!

This year the "Sunsail formula" was suggested. The intentions were without a doubt laudable, but it was never going to work.

1. Different boats: wide variety of vessels - for one a F6 would constitute a cracking sail, for another it would be beyond the capabilities of their vessel. A fact. And, as we have found out this year, no-one controls the weather.

2. Different people: most of us know each other only from this forum. Will you get on when you meet? Some people you get on with, some people you don't - it's human nature. Are you willing to cross the North Sea to meet some blokes you don't know from Adam whom you may or may not get on with?

3. Different abilities: some cross the Channel at the drop of a hat (or because they need beer), others are quite new to sailing, others have been happy to potter about on the East Coast rivers for years. For them a Channel X-ing may constitute a major challenge. Nothing wrong with that. But again a key factor.

4. Different motivation: some would be there regardless, others only if everything was absolutely right.

This last point is one which leads me to despair sometimes.
As Full Circle has found out elsewhere (Medway meet), you can't lead the unwilling. The first Medway meet was 3 years ago. We were in Gillingham at the time. We were 3. The 2 other boats were boats we saw out sailing every WE too, they would have been there anyway.

In a way this place reminds me a lot of the place I work - NATO - No Action, Talk Only.
Maybe the brave soul - reckless enough to volunteer - willing to "organise" the event next year should ask for money up front (50 quid should do it).
If you turn up, the money will be refunded in full, if you don't there's plenty for a round of drinks for those that do make it.

Venting over - back to "normal".

sailorman

Visit site
Re: Cruise in company

[If you turn up, the money will be refunded in full, if you don't there's plenty for a round of drinks for those that do make it.]

Make mine a Duvel then, Whit Bank Hol Saturday 07 @ 12.00hrs R.N.S.Y.C. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Oh!, Mel will also be having one /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FullCircle

Visit site

Agree with most of what Will says, but IMHO it wasnt a Sunsail event, just a stake in the ground that people may or may not be at a point(Oostende) over a particular weekend.
Not many had 'booked' for the week, and it was all dependant on how folk felt at the time. No use ploughing on regardless just cos its there.
So, in reality, most people met their targets. I know I did, even though I did not go to Oostende, as I had sick crew, an imminent Gale warning while out there, a rubbish forecast for returning on the Monday. Great weekend despite the weather, and there is always next year or later this year.
The venue is there for any one to go to at any time, just *might* meet a few others while you are there.

I have enjoyed all the peeps I have met so far, and would like to meet more as the seasons progress.

Phoenix of Hamble

Don't disagree with much of that Will....

'cept agree with Jim..... it was a planned rendevous, and then onwards cruise in company for those interested, and nothing more...... not a sunsail trip!

The Cherbourg trip is founded on much the same prinicples and has many attendees (in excess of 40 IIRC)....

No reason why we couldn't emulate that....

Hope that we can get 20 boats to attend next year!..... with a bit of decent weather its a real possibility

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
No change

[ QUOTE ]

Oh!, Mel will also be having one /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No change there then /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And, no way should Mel have been ranked third.
IRC the "silver medal" sought refuge in "white beer" towards the end /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

It may be a blur, but THAT I DO remember. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

sailorman

Visit site
Re: No change

Possibly /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
Because it\'s there!

[ QUOTE ]
No use ploughing on regardless just cos its there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nevertheless, that's why they climbed Everest.

Mind you, if I had sick crew (not related) on board I would not have sailed either.
If it had been the wife, it would have come under the "for better or for worse" bit. And she hasn't been seasick once on Guapa.

Oen

Visit site
Re: Because it\'s there!

Will, those are interesting thoughts... But I'm not sure I agree with all of them...

Basically, the thing seemed to fall over when people atttempted to use a long-range weather forecast to decide what to do several days hence. This will never work! I've cruised in comany before (not Sunsail), with a huge variety of boats in a flotilla, and much fun had.

It was good to meet up, and I feel sorry that we slipped Ostende a day early (though this was the right thing to do), but we did meet you and a few others and had a good time. Not sure about the 'different boats' thing either - yes, we love an F6 and rocket along in it, but I fear it's skippers and crews, not boats, that aren't up to it these days (no direspect intended - I loved being out in my 21ft van de Stadt in a blow, others wouldn't think it was fun).

Anyhow, as many of us didn't meet...

How about a get-together somewhere closer to home?

Laurin

Visit site

My perception of the week/weekend was that a bunch of East Coast boats aimed to be going in roughly the same direction at the same time and hopefully meeting up for a beer/food in Oostende. Some then might go on to Holland.

I don't think I would want it to be any more organised than that. We make our own decisions about if or when to set off depending on weather. For us this is a big consideration with a 43 year old boat.... the only boat I have sailed where I doubt she could take a bigger hammering than her crew! Deposits and deadlines would put me off!

We had a really great time despite the weather, and although it would have been great to meet up with other Forumites, we did meet several, and without their company Oostende would have been a lot duller for 3 days! I for one really appreciated our first crossing being in company, particularly getting feedback on how visible we were on RADAR. Thanks Neil!