WESSEX TEAK CLEANER ,RENOVATOR

Seastoke

Visit site
hi guys , stuck in Dartmouth ie weather. So we are on a river pontoon with no water and ele tric , can you use wessex with sea water to clean down .

Binnacle

Visit site
You have been here before in a previous thread and it's good to see that you are asking about the environment before using the chemicals.

The Materials Safety Data Sheet is here
https://www.wessexboatstore.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Wessex-Teak-Cleaner-Part-1-WP-0422.pdf

In summary, it's mainly about the damage it can do to human beings:

"Adverse physicochemical, human health and environmental effects. Causes severe skin burns and eye damage."

There are recommendations about the environment as well:

" Environmental precautions. Avoid release to the environment. Prevent entry to sewers and public waters. Notify authorities if liquid enters sewers or public waters."

Momac

Visit site
....and can it do any damage to fiberglass?
If that was the case it would perhaps be best if it was not sold for use on a boat. I have used Wessex two part cleaner occasionally and it is certainly very powerful stuff. I found there can b some residue on the GRP but this polishes out easily so perhaps its more of a reaction with any wax on the GRP rather than any effect on the GRP itself.

I very recently used some white Vinegar for teak cleaning which is less powerful and possibly more environmentally friendly. It did a good job.
Screenshot 2024-04-03 17.40.07.png

Seastoke

Visit site
You have been here before in a previous thread and it's good to see that you are asking about the environment before using the chemicals.

The Materials Safety Data Sheet is here
https://www.wessexboatstore.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Wessex-Teak-Cleaner-Part-1-WP-0422.pdf

In summary, it's mainly about the damage it can do to human beings:

"Adverse physicochemical, human health and environmental effects. Causes severe skin burns and eye damage."

There are recommendations about the environment as well:

" Environmental precautions. Avoid release to the environment. Prevent entry to sewers and public waters. Notify authorities if liquid enters sewers or public waters."
I wasn’t asking about chemicals ,it was sea water, I understand instructions , I have asked you before ,if you have nothing positive to say ,don’t .

Binnacle

Visit site
hi guys , stuck in Dartmouth ie weather. So we are on a river pontoon with no water and ele tric , can you use wessex with sea water to clean down .

I wasn’t asking about chemicals ,it was sea water, I understand instructions , I have asked you before ,if you have nothing positive to say ,don’t .

It would be very very hard to interpret your post in any other way than asking if you can use Wessex (a compound chemical) with sea water.

I gave you all the positive information links that are needed. RTFM is probably the most appropriate and useful acronym for you.

SC35

Visit site
Wessex cleaner is very good, but shortly after spilling it on my deck shoes, the stitching dissolved and they fell apart.
My feet didn't dissolve, although one size smaller would have made it easier to buy replacement deck shoes.

Seastoke

Visit site

It would be very very hard to interpret your post in any other way than asking if you can use Wessex (a compound chemical) with sea water.

I gave you all the positive information links that are needed. RTFM is probably the most appropriate and useful acronym for you.
All the info how to use are on the bottle ,but not about sea water hence the post . Your info never mention sea water . I don’t understand what RTFM means is it the same as GFY.

Seastoke

Visit site
Yep got it saved in my treasured photo album.

Attachments

• D005BF16-BFE1-4BC6-BC0E-3664CCB2DD46.jpeg
    D005BF16-BFE1-4BC6-BC0E-3664CCB2DD46.jpeg
    70.6 KB · Views: 7

ashtead

Visit site
Wessex does clean bare feet very well like all teak deck cleaners not certain I would wear deck shoes though -- when sailing in med we used to clean teak about twice a year sometimes when sailing along along using seawater to wash down I recall but finish with fresh -it saved doing it alongside and took up a few units of passage time when calm running on the diesel.

Momac

Visit site
As for the sea water compatibility the cleaner is caustic soda which is made from sea water so no issues
Screenshot 2024-04-06 12.28.11.png

Momac

Visit site
PS I do suggest trying sea water alone especially if you just want a light up clean rather than trying to restore well weathered teak.

Binnacle

Visit site
As for the sea water compatibility the cleaner is caustic soda which is made from sea water so no issues
View attachment 175118

I think the forum would find it very useful to have greater understanding of why you think the sea water would have no issues. There are a number of other chemicals in sea water which render it quite different from the electrolytic process used to make sodium hydroxide. The Wessex cleaner also contains potassium hydroxide, tetrasodium ethylene diamine tetraacetate and trisodium nitrilotriacetate, all of which have significant impact on the biosphere.

You might also care to give an opinion on the impact of Wessex teak cleaner on wildlife in the sea water into which it drains.

Seastoke

Visit site
Bin man unless you know more than god ,am I right that every chemical available on this planet ,is made by stuff from the planet and being most of the planet is above sea level they wi find there way to the sea.

Last edited:

Binnacle

Visit site
I have given the reason

Infinitely small impact.
Momac

You are prevaricating. Sodium hydroxide is not made from seawater. There are several industrial methods, but principally the process involves brine (an aqueous solution of NaCl) and lots of electricity.

You seem to be associating industrial brine with sea water. Well, I suppose that both contain salt...

Would you go swimming in a domestic pool with a high concentration of bleach in it ?