Walker Trailing log - MinKnot

tilmansailing

Visit site
I have been asked by a friend to sell his MinKnot Walker Trailing Log.
I have not seen this version before and, so far, have had no luck searching on the internet.
Any one know anything about it?

Seajet

Visit site
I seem to remember it was a budget version aimed at the small boat market.

It didn't seem to catch on, probably because in those days the budget section of the market was catered for by Wasp, Walker kit still being relatively expensive - though almost certainly better.

That being said, I've used a Wasp trail log for many cross-Channel trips, including many long before Decca was generally available let alone GPS, and it's a good bit of kit for such trips as that.

Did the Minknot show speed, or just distance, though ?

As cheaper trail logs are relatively hard to come by now, and unlike GPS of course they offer true-ish speed ? and distance through water more accurately & reliably than paddlewheel logs and without holes in the hull, I'd expect quite a few people interested; as long as it shows speed.

Last edited:

earlybird

Visit site
I have a very faint recollection of a mechanical Miniknot as Seajet suggests, but I've never seen one. There was however, definitely a Microknot. It isn't that is it?
The Microknot was electronic, introduced ~1990. Mine, and another I knew about, spent most of the time returned to Walker's for repair, admittedly FOC, but after 3 years or so I was told that they no longer supported them. In my case, basically a waste of £100.

ostell

Visit site
Found one of these MinKnot logs at the bottom of a locker on a "new" boat. Shows speed (a sensible value for a small yachts) and distance. Hung on pushpit rail with special fitting.