Volvo 2003

romany123

Visit site
Hi

I was wondering if anybody could help me we have a Volvo 2003 engine in our Sadler 34.
Last year we had a pressure test on the cylinders one of them was below par, so we had an engineer in to sort it out. When we started the engine up in the spring to take the boat down to mooring, we noticed a lot of smoke coming out, which was of a blue, grey colour.
On contacting the engineer, he told us it would be fine when the engine had bedded in. The problem is we very rarely use the engine and over the last season, we have only used 3 gallons. And we never run the engine over 22,000 revs.

The last time we started the engine up we noticed what looked like some diesel oil on the water which seemed to disappear after we had run the engine for a while, but the smoke still persists and is extremely smelly in a following wind.

I was told by a chap who appears to know quite a lot about engines, that I should run the engine at full blast for an hour or so as the cylinder walls may be glazed.

I would much appreciate your comments

MoodySabre

Visit site
Killing them with kindness seems to be the popular view. Diesels are built to run hard and long. I run my 2003 about 2000 - 2200 revs but it gets more hours than yours. A good belt would help but running the engine as decent revs until it has warmed up is good for it rather than the 3 minutes either side of coming on or off a mooring.

robmcg

Visit site
A couple of things you should consider. When was the last time the injectors were tested, it is possible that they are not operating at the optimum spray pattern and you are getting unburnt diesel in the exhaust water. The other thing to check is the fuel pump (not the lift pump). This does have a habit of becoming worn so fails to deliver the correct amount of fuel to the injectors. Usually a tell tale sign is after starting the engine from cold, the revs may rise and fall slightly as if the engine is seeking an idle speed. This usually calms down when the engine warms up. As MoodySabre correctly says underuse doesn't help the situation and I always make a point of running our Volvo 2003 at 2200rpm with blasts of 2500rpm to give it a good blast. I am sure you will probably get 20 different answers to your question but start with the cheapest things first and work your way up. Good luck!!

romany123

Visit site
Thanks for that guys.
I have taken on board what you have said and it seems to make sense.
I did go on an engine course years ago but I am still rubbish when it comes the diagnosing faults with the beast.

Regards

Dave