Query re MD2030 smoke from air inlet

Safeseas

Visit site
Hi All,

I have an issue with my Volvo Penta MD2030. the engine starts normally with no issues on most occasions, however if maybe a bit cold and when I do not use the glows, the engine cranks a bit before it starts; at this moment ( at cranking only ) I see some smoke that comes out from the air intake in the engine bay ( mine is the older version with steel grille not having a foam microphone like filter ) and the smoke is visible ( only when cranking and not when it starts at first try ) The smoke stops once the engine has started. I had a mechanic that saw it and mentioned it is normal / nothing to worry about but I wished to double check to get some other experienced opinion from maybe someone who has/had the same issue. Thanks in advance.

earlybird

Visit site
I wouldn't worry. At the low speed of cranking, the valve timing is not optimum. The inlet will open slightly before TDC on the exhaust stroke and allow a small amount of exhaust gas still in the cylinder to escape. Sometimes referred to as valve overlap.

Safeseas

Visit site
I wouldn't worry. At the low speed of cranking, the valve timing is not optimum. The inlet will open slightly before TDC on the exhaust stroke and allow a small amount of exhaust gas still in the cylinder to escape. Sometimes referred to as valve overlap.
Thanks earlybird for your feedback. Very happy its not a big issue. Just asking could this be fixed as my concern would be if it will turn on the fire extinguisher ( that i wish to install) in the engine bay! Thanks again👍

VicS

Visit site
Thanks earlybird for your feedback. Very happy its not a big issue. Just asking could this be fixed as my concern would be if it will turn on the fire extinguisher ( that i wish to install) in the engine bay! Thanks again👍
Not if the fire extinguisher is heat activated rather than smoke activated.