Vinyl boat names

castaway

uk.groups.yahoo.com
There is someone on the forum who does these is there not? Does any one have his link or contact please?

Also as my inflatable, when in its davits, lies across the name board area of the transom I was thinking about putting the boat name on the side of the dinghy's appropriate side. I guess there is someone doing stencils and suitable paint for this?

Thanks Nick

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I found it a frustrating business. Funky Monkey is all computerised but their range is fairly limited. SAC graphics has a far bigger range of swirls, underlining, etc but having found what you want you have to mail a form to them, or order by phone. I have had two lots from SAC and must say the end job is good.

I also ordered a name for the tender but despite applying it exactly as they said, in Greek temperatures and conditions, it hasn't been a success.

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
I found it a frustrating business. Funky Monkey is all computerised but their range is fairly limited. SAC graphics has a far bigger range of swirls, underlining, etc but having found what you want you have to mail a form to them, or order by phone. I have had two lots from SAC and must say the end job is good.

I also ordered a name for the tender but despite applying it exactly as they said, in Greek temperatures and conditions, it hasn't been a success.

Hi Vyv, I had the same problem. Fixed it by buying four quids worth of plastic stencils from EBAY and a tenners worth of special pvc flexible paint. I go round the stencil with a fine felt tip permanent marker and fill in with a flat brush with a quarter inch bristle. Done two tenders and the plastic cowl of the outboard- surprisingly all look quite professional.

Lakesailor

Visit site
Any vehicle graphics and sign business will create it for you.
If you can design it on your own computer and email a jpg to them.

Cost me £10 the pair.

portnaming02.jpg

portnaming04.jpg

portnaming07.jpg

savageseadog

Visit site
Remember that the quality of the vinyl and hence the life of vinyl does vary. For marine use a premium cast vinyl rather than calendered is preferred at a 10 year nominal life although most products seem to last far longer than "nominal" in my experience. The quality vinyls are three to five times the price of the cheapest. I do make vinyl for myself and the occasional one for friends around N Wales and NW England.

Lakesailor

Visit site
Maybe the usual marine "surcharge" in operation there. I've done three boats, on moorings 12 months a year, and all still liveried-up using vehicle graphics vinyl. One has been done 9 years now.

savageseadog

Visit site
Maybe the usual marine "surcharge" in operation there. I've done three boats, on moorings 12 months a year, and all still liveried-up using vehicle graphics vinyl. One has been done 9 years now.

The raw cast vinyl does indeed cost a great deal more but it's not a dedicated marine product as such. My experience with cheaper vinyls is that they can be quite adequate and do last a lot longer than the spec implies, sticking them on properly helps a lot.

Csail

N/A
Visit site
Hi Vyv, I had the same problem. Fixed it by buying four quids worth of plastic stencils from EBAY and a tenners worth of special pvc flexible paint. I go round the stencil with a fine felt tip permanent marker and fill in with a flat brush with a quarter inch bristle. Done two tenders and the plastic cowl of the outboard- surprisingly all look quite professional.
Cheaper if you had called me and easier.

Csail

N/A
Visit site
The raw cast vinyl does indeed cost a great deal more but it's not a dedicated marine product as such. My experience with cheaper vinyls is that they can be quite adequate and do last a lot longer than the spec implies, sticking them on properly helps a lot.

Vinyl is fine if you ensure it is marine grade, i only use 7 series and no complaints over 8 years.Main thing is temp,prep,clean hull and 2 people to fit it.Mark the position,nick swmbos hair dryer and slide into place with diluted washing up liquid.Use sqeegie or old credit card to smooth it out.Any bubbles puncture with a pin.Only do it with no wind and above about 16 degrees.

Last edited: