Unfortunate Road traffic incident

Refueler

Visit site
Damaged boats DO sell .... I can remember various boats going up for bids and often silly money paid for them.

Anyone remember the midlands based yard that was next to a canal - they had loads of boats of varying condition .. turnover was constant .. name of Company escapes me at moment.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I'd say the boat is a write off. The cost of repairs - in £££s and/or time spent is more than it is worth, sadly. It would be better to buy another boat (and presumably trailer) than try to fix that one. (You may be able to reuse and/or sell the rig and various other kit from it.)

It appears to have 'encapsulated' keels. That is, the keels are part of the GRP structure of the hull, and the ballast (usually steel punchings in polyester resin) is filled inside. It is essential that the integrity of the GRP of encapsulated keels is maintained, otherwise water can get to the ballast steel ballast, it rusts, expands and blows/cracks the GRP keels. The keels have to cope with huge forces and signifiant stress - supporting the weight of the ballast (about 400kg) and the tendency to drop vertically when afloat; supporting the weight of the boat and tending to splay outwards when aground / ashore / on the trailer; resisting twisting forces when sailing (the keels have forces on them opposite to the power of the rig); and the tendency to be splayed apart. Any repair will need to be of a high quality and at least as strong as the original build (and will also reduce the resale value of the boat). That you are having to ask for basic advice on here suggests to me that you are unlikely to have the necessary skills and knowledge to be confident you could achieve that standard.

The damage to the trailer is important. You need to be absolutely sure that it is structurally sound when you are towing/storing something weighing a ton or more. Failure could be fatal to you or others.

If the trailer can't be made roadworthy you have a big problem because you will need to get another, or pay someone with a Hiab truck (£££S), to move it from its current location.

I hope you are able to claim against the insurance of the person who caused the accident, because even just disposing of the wreck could be expensive and difficult.

Refueler

Visit site
Let the Insurance Company deal with both the claim and its disposal.
Get another with money, along with a trailer there are plenty around. It will still have plenty to occupy your spare time over the winter.

That really is the best way ....

Having gone through this with my boat ... believe me - I pray I don't have it again.