UK Sailors And Expats In The EU - Run Up To Friday 29th March 2019 & Beyond?

jordanbasset

Visit site
As an aside, a British driving license is becoming more and more acceptable for identification.

For example, Brits in Portugal aged 65 or over can travel for half price on all trains on production of either their driving license or passport.

Yes one of the advantages of being in the E.U. our drivers licenses have to have the same standard format found in all E.U. countries, including the E.U. stars around the UK initials, and member states have to accept as long as we remain in the E.U.

Last edited:

nortada

Visit site
Yes one of the advantages of being in the E.U. our drivers licenses have to have the same standard format found in all E.U. countries, including the E.U. stars around the UK initials, and member states have to accept as long as we remain in the E.U.

Think you are rather missing the point.

We are discussing using a UK driving license as an identity document in Portugal so this has nothing to do with conformity within the EU. Conformity and Portugal are bit of an oxymoron!

I would suggest that post Brexit, Portugal will still accept a UK driving license as proof of identity.

Last edited:

nortada

Visit site
You will probably be right as long as we keep maintaining the same standard and format as the E.U. stipulates and do not take back control and go back to the old paper license which had no photo on it:D

Can’t believe Britain will change the license post Brexit - there again the stars may vanish.

Note to self - renew driving license before 29th Mar

Last edited:

greeny

Visit site
That's quite an assumption, as UK driving licenses may not even be valid in the EU after a no-deal Brexit.

Why would they not be?
The holiday trade car hire companies in Spain and Portugal would fold overnight if that were the case. I don't think their governments are that stupid.
Too much supposition and scaremongering going on, on this thread at the moment.
Lets get back to what I think was the original theme.
Keeping everyone up to date with what is actually happening and how to position yourself best for a post Brexit life as an expat in europe, based on fact and individuals experience in doing that.

Sorry Nortada but i just feel the thread is in danger of sinking into oblivion and becoming another "anchor" thread.
Lets keep it factual and useful.

nortada

Visit site
Why would they not be?
The holiday trade car hire companies in Spain and Portugal would fold overnight if that were the case. I don't think their governments are that stupid.

Too much supposition and scaremongering going on, on this thread at the moment.
Lets get back to what I think was the original theme.
Keeping everyone up to date with what is actually happening and how to position yourself best for a post Brexit life as an expat in europe, based on fact and individuals experience in doing that.

Sorry Nortada but i just feel the thread is in danger of sinking into oblivion and becoming another "anchor" thread.
Lets keep it factual and useful.

Agree.

Greeny, many thanks for a timely reminder.

My fault for being drawn into a futuristic ‘what if debate’ rather than keeping this thread as was intended, ‘a what is discussion’, aiming to identify current opportunities and possible strategies for the future.

An alternative use of a British driving license is a, just so, example.

It will be interesting to see what the British Ambassador in Portugal comes up with and the initiative in France, #370.

En route back to Portugal and do a bit of digging on the thoughts in Spain.

Last edited:

macd

Visit site
Clearly it's important to distinguish between UK driving licences as permits to drive, and as acceptable day-to-day photo ID documents. Whatever happens with Brexit, they'll probably survive for many purposes as the latter.

However, the risk that UK driving licences may not be accepted in the EU after a no-deal Brexit is real. A corollary of that is that it would no longer be possible to swap a UK licence for, say, a Portuguese one post-Brexit. However, there should be time enough after that "worst case" becoming known to do something about it. (Obviously exchange would only be available to EU27 residents; UK residents would need an international driving permit, just like the good old days.)

Personally, as someone resident in an EU27 country, there's no point in my waiting. Others may prefer to wait and see (but keep a keen eye on developments).

Whatever the Brexit deal, a "reverse exchange"...getting back a UK licence should you later return to the UK...should be no problem for anyone who passed their driving test(s) in the UK. In fact, unlike now, in the event of no deal it's possible you'd be able also to retain your EU licence.

Last edited:

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
.......However, the risk that UK driving licences may not be accepted in the EU after a no-deal Brexit is real. A corollary of that is that it would no longer be possible to swap a UK licence for, say, a Portuguese one post-Brexit. However, there should be time enough after that "worst case" becoming known to do something about it. (Obviously exchange would only be available to EU27 residents; UK residents would need an international driving permit, just like the good old days.)

Personally, as someone resident in an EU27 country, there's no point in my waiting. Others may prefer to wait and see (but keep a keen eye on developments).

Whatever the Brexit deal, a "reverse exchange"...getting back a UK licence should you later return to the UK...should be no problem for anyone who passed their driving test(s) in the UK. In fact, unlike now, in the event of no deal it's possible you'd be able also to retain your EU licence.

For those who spend over 3 months continuously in the UK this could be a problem if using foreign license and pulled by police. Different countries have different regulations about classes of vehicles permitted to drive so extra test may be needed for larger vehicles and towing, worth checking first. I'm told a Portuguese car license permits driving motor bikes up to 125cc without further test but would that license be valid in UK for that purpose by a UK citizen?

P.S. Remember also that some UK insurance companies increase premiums for those driving on a foreign license.

PPS. I've just spoken to DVLA and it seems that we can drive in UK on an EU license with no time limit and the license is valid for the groups issued by that country.

Last edited:

nortada

Visit site
Clearly it's important to distinguish between UK driving licences as permits to drive, and as acceptable day-to-day photo ID documents. Whatever happens with Brexit, they'll probably survive for many purposes as the latter.

However, the risk that UK driving licences may not be accepted in the EU after a no-deal Brexit is real. A corollary of that is that it would no longer be possible to swap a UK licence for, say, a Portuguese one post-Brexit. However, there should be time enough after that "worst case" becoming known to do something about it. (Obviously exchange would only be available to EU27 residents; UK residents would need an international driving permit, just like the good old days.)

For one who would wish to continue to drive in Cyprus, France, Spain and Portugal on a British license, what are the implications of an international driving permit? How do you get one, how much and how long are they valid for? Does one permit cover all countries?

Could make the holiday hire car trade interesting post Brexit!

Because of the damage it would do, specifically, to the car hire market and more generally the wider holiday trade, I suspect a fix will be found - like holiday makers will be able to drive a hire car on a British license. Plenty of room under the radar there. Long term roll-over rental and the like.

This would be a good question to be raised with the British Ambassador in Portugal on his next Q&A session, wherever and whenever that may be.

Same question could be raised at the coming French coffee event and any other meetings between British FO officials and their host Nations.

Last edited:

macd

Visit site
For one who would wish to continue to drive in Cyprus, France, Spain and Portugal on a British license, what are the implications of an international driving permit? How do you get one, how much and how long are they valid for? Does one permit cover all countries?

Could make the holiday hire car trade interesting post Brexit!

Because of the damage it would do, specifically, to the car hire market and more generally the wider holiday trade, I suspect a fix will be found - like holiday makers will be able to drive a hire car on a British license. Plenty of room under the radar there. Long term roll-over rental and the like.

You must be a bit of a youngster, nortada. Most folk of a certain age know international driving permits quite well.
They're available from AA, RAC and post offices, cost £5.50 and last a year. They're not country-specific. More info here: https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad

Iberia may indeed be fond of tourist lucre, but Spain used to be a right pain. Many years ago I'm pretty sure they demanded an IDP, but you also needed a bail bond. Well, they weren't compulsory, but if you didn't want to live behind bars after a traffic accident, they were a very good idea.

I daresay that in the longer term a fix might be forthcoming, but in the short term after a no-deal, it may be difficult.

Last edited:

jordanbasset

Visit site
Found this site quite helpful
https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/driving-abroad/international-driving-permits-and-brexit/
In the event of no-deal, what will I need if I take my car abroad?
In addition to your UK driving licence, motorists may also be required to purchase an International Driving Permit (IDP).
There are three types of IDPs available, though only two are used in EU states and European Economic Area countries.
Which IDP will I require?
1949 IDP: If you are travelling to Ireland, Malta, Spain or Cyprus, you may require a 1949 IDP. The 1949 convention IDP is valid for 12 months.
1968 IDP: If you are travelling to all other EU states, you may require a 1968 IDP. The 1968 convention IDP is valid for three years, or for however long your driving licence is valid, if that date is earlier.
1926 IDP: A 1926 IDP is not required in any EU state (though you may require it if your onward travel is to Iraq or Somalia. Brazil also recognises this version)...
What about if I drive to Spain via France where 2 types of IDP may be required?
You may need to purchase both the 1949 and the 1968 versions of IDPs, costing £11'

nortada

Visit site
You must be a bit of a youngster, nortada. Most folk of a certain age know international driving permits quite well.
They're available from AA, RAC and post offices, cost £5.50 and last a year. They're not country-specific. More info here: https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad

Thanks, 75 years young but I had the bebefit of a miltary driving license (HGV but tanks excluded) backed by a NATO Travel Order so an IDP didn’t come into the equasion.

Iberia may indeed be fond of tourist lucre, but Spain used to be a right pain. Many years ago I'm pretty sure they demanded an IDP, but you also needed a bail bond. Well, they weren't compulsory, but if you didn't want to live behind bars after a traffic accident, they were a very good idea.

I daresay that in the longer term a fix might be forthcoming, but in the short term after a no-deal, it may be difficult.

Thanks for the info.:encouragement:

Me - 75 years young but in Germany we all had a British Military HGV Driving License (Tanks excluded) backed by a NATO Travel Order. Both were valid world-wide so a British Driving License hardly came into the equation.

Think we had these licenses so if required, we could conduct a hasty tactical withdrawl (British Forces Never Retreat), taking as much of our gear with us as possible!;)

Ps would love to use some of my wacky emogies but promised Deleted User - not here.:rolleyes:

Sorry about the drift:eek:, now back to thread.

Last edited:

macd

Visit site
For those who spend over 3 months continuously in the UK this could be a problem if using foreign license and pulled by police.

PPS. I've just spoken to DVLA and it seems that we can drive in UK on an EU license with no time limit and the license is valid for the groups issued by that country.

The gov.uk site I linked to states that: "If you come back to visit the UK after exchanging your licence, you can drive here for up to 12 months on your new licence." Whether this is correct, or the DVLA's version, I've no idea. (And thanks for taking the trouble to ask the DVLA.)

Same gov.uk page has this:
"Exchanging your licence after Brexit
If the UK leaves the EU without a deal on 29 March 2019, you will not be able to exchange your driving licence without taking another driving test.
Apply to exchange your driving licence as soon as you can to make sure you get one before 29 March 2019."

Further changes are reflected in this from the AA, updated in September 2018:
"Whether there's a deal or not, the Government has decided that, from 1 February 2019:
IDPs will be issued by around 2,500 Post Offices (they're currently issued by 89)
The AA (and RAC) will no longer be permitted to issue IDPs
Mail order facilities for applying for an IDP will cease to exist"

From: https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/driving-abroad/idp

BigJoe

Visit site

AndersG

Visit site
90 days in any 180 day......................... what if its a NO deal ?

Then it will be a maximum of 90 days in any 180 days.
I always expected a max of 90 days in any 180 even with a deal but I thought that would only apply after the transition period but at the moment I can't find anything written about it. We will be spending the winter in Spain and it will be interesting to see what happens....