UK Sailors And Expats In The EU - Run Up To Friday 29th March 2019 & Beyond?

GTom

Visit site
My apologies if this is not the correct thread, but it sort of looked like it might be. I'm Australian looking at buying a boat within the EU, I have a few options for flagging, but then i saw this 'Dutch light registration'.
https://www.yachtregistration.company/eu-light-registration/
On the face of it, it would seem to be the solution to my flagging/VAT/etc problems. I have been trawling through this forum and had some very good advice/information on this project, so I wonder if anyone knows if they are Kosher? Sort of looks a bit too good to be true.
Thanks
Perry

Try Channel Islands regs. easy, cheap on the long term and AFAIK Commonwealth citizens can apply (need to be checked though). Not EU tough, that might complicate bureaucracy in some countries in the Med.

nortada

Visit site
Re: UK Sailors And Expats In The EU - Run Up To Friday 1st November & Beyond❓

I have modified the title to bring it up to date❗

I will be interesting to see which predictions come to pass.❓

Last edited:

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Re: ??This Link Is The Latest Update From The UK Government On Health Cover In Portug

So, for you and I, nothing has changed -

If you are a UK national living in Portugal and accessing healthcare based on your residence, your access to healthcare will not change when the UK leaves the EU

nortada

Visit site
Re: ??This Link Is The Latest Update From The UK Government On Health Cover In Portug

So, for you and I, nothing has changed -

If you are a UK national living in Portugal and accessing healthcare based on your residence, your access to healthcare will not change when the UK leaves the EU

Absolutely correct but like you in your neck of the woods, at this time of the year we get a lot of new arrivals and healthcare in these unsettled times is always a big issue.

One observation is the data available is rather dated so this latest submission is to help steady troubled nerves.

macd

Visit site
Re: UK Sailors And Expats In The EU - Run Up To 1 February 2020 and Beyond

With the general election result, it looks very much like Brexit day will be 31 Jan next year*, with a transition period until the end of 2020**.

That being so, the strong likelihood is that the transition arrangements negotiated during 2018 will come into force. Basically, these define arrangements during the transitonal perod itself (when, practically speaking, little would change); and arrangements which have been agreed would apply after the transitional period.

The arrangements of most interest to liveaboards no doubt concern citizens rights, limitations on movement, etc. These, as they will apply after the transition period, are detailed on in Part 2 , Citizens' Rights in HMG's "explainer" of the withdrawal agreements. The explainer can be found here: https://assets.publishing.service.g..._Northern_Ireland_from_the_European_Union.pdf

Amongst much else, this means that reciprocal social security provisions (including healthcare) for eligible registered residents will continue (including S1 provisions). It also means that any Brit wishing to become formally resident in an EU27 country, has until the end of the transition period to do so. Any continuance of EHIC beyond the transition period, which HMG has formally stated it desires, will require agreement. (EHIC is, of course, intended primarily for travellers rather than settled residents, although it will be of clear interest to many seasonal liveaboards.) Freedom of movement rights will end with the transitional period, likely (but not inevitably) replaced by 90-in-180 Schengen limits.

Part 2 provisions are minimum guarantees. As forumites in some EU27 countries will already be aware, individual EU27 states are at liberty to be more generous.

* Brexit day could technically be earlier, but given the amount of enabling business Parliamentary and Brussels must deal with, that's unlikely.
** The transition period is extendable by up to two years. Although BoJo has asserted that HMG will absolutely not seek any extension, there will be a daunting amount of complex negotiations to be dealt with during that short time frame. He's been known to change his mind before.

nortada

Visit site
Re: UK Sailors And Expats In The EU - Run Up To 1 February 2020 and Beyond

With the general election result, it looks very much like Brexit day will be 31 Jan next year*, with a transition period until the end of 2020**.

That being so, the strong likelihood is that the transition arrangements negotiated during 2018 will come into force. Basically, these define arrangements during the transitonal perod itself (when, practically speaking, little would change); and arrangements which have been agreed would apply after the transitional period.

The arrangements of most interest to liveaboards no doubt concern citizens rights, limitations on movement, etc. These, as they will apply after the transition period, are detailed on in Part 2 , Citizens' Rights in HMG's "explainer" of the withdrawal agreements. The explainer can be found here: https://assets.publishing.service.g..._Northern_Ireland_from_the_European_Union.pdf

Amongst much else, this means that reciprocal social security provisions (including healthcare) for eligible registered residents will continue (including S1 provisions). It also means that any Brit wishing to become formally resident in an EU27 country, has until the end of the transition period to do so. Any continuance of EHIC beyond the transition period, which HMG has formally stated it desires, will require agreement. (EHIC is, of course, intended primarily for travellers rather than settled residents, although it will be of clear interest to many seasonal liveaboards.) Freedom of movement rights will end with the transitional period, likely (but not inevitably) replaced by 90-in-180 Schengen limits.

Part 2 provisions are minimum guarantees. As forumites in some EU27 countries will already be aware, individual EU27 states are at liberty to be more generous.

* Brexit day could technically be earlier, but given the amount of enabling business Parliamentary and Brussels must deal with, that's unlikely.
** The transition period is extendable by up to two years. Although BoJo has asserted that HMG will absolutely not seek any extension, there will be a daunting amount of complex negotiations to be dealt with during that short time frame. He's been known to change his mind before.

Thank you for a very good summary.?

With regard to 90 180 limit, it is believed that this limit will not apply to Brits with residency, in their countries of second or subsequent residency (it is understood that their are some who have obtained multiple residency in a number of the 27 EU states).

Only time will tell.

macd

Visit site
Thanks, Nortada.
It's very clear from the explainer (and legion other sources) that Schengen limits do not apply in the EU state of residence. It would hardly be residence if you couldn't live there. It's also often described as "a right to stay", which implies the same thing even more strongly.

All the exemplars I've seen only consider single-country residence, but if an individual is accepted in two, the same no doubt applies in both. The only doubt I'd envisage would be some obscure rule outlawing dual residence. But if there were such a thing, I'm sure we'd have heard of it (not least because many of us already enjoy it: UK + wherever).

nortada

Visit site
Thanks, Nortada.
It's very clear from the explainer (and legion other sources) that Schengen limits do not apply in the EU state of residence. It would hardly be residence if you couldn't live there. It's also often described as "a right to stay", which implies the same thing even more strongly.

All the exemplars I've seen only consider single-country residence, but if an individual is accepted in two, the same no doubt applies in both. The only doubt I'd envisage would be some obscure rule outlawing dual residence. But if there were such a thing, I'm sure we'd have heard of it (not least because many of us already enjoy it: UK + wherever).

I too was surprised you could get more than one extra residency but I met a Brit who had:- French, Portuguese, Spanish and Greek.

Rather flies in the face of the concept that you live in your country of residency. Were they to find out, i suspect the countries involved would not be overly impressed but of course these visitors are boosting their current host country's economy.

nortada

Visit site
Glancing back through this thread, I was struck by how dated it appears. So much has changed in the intervening 2 years.

Back in Dec 2019, Covid had yet to appear on the scene.

My main reason for posting this is to say a big thank you to all of the contributors.

These contributors clearly have much to offer as we move forward past the Covid era and deeper into the U.K. ‘go it alone’ era.

Clearly they are the sources to answer many up and coming questions.???

Bouba

Visit site
I too was surprised you could get more than one extra residency but I met a Brit who had:- French, Portuguese, Spanish and Greek.

Rather flies in the face of the concept that you live in your country of residency. Were they to find out, i suspect the countries involved would not be overly impressed but of course these visitors are boosting their current host country's economy.
He must have a good tax account or four

nortada

Visit site
He must have a good tax account or four

He was in Lagos last year but moved on, I know not where.

He was a real player, ex-Met Copper with a degree in law from Oxford so I suspect he had a ready answer for those kind of problems. I am fairly certain he didn’t get for tax, during his latest year in Portugal.?

Even Sailaboutvic would have been impressed by his ducking and diving.?

Bouba

Visit site
He was in Lagos last year but moved on, I know not where.

He was a real player, ex-Met Copper with a degree in law from Oxford so I suspect he had a ready answer for those kind of problems. I am fairly certain he didn’t get for tax, during his latest year in Portugal.?

Even Sailaboutvic would have been impressed by his ducking and diving.?
Sounds like a character ?

nortada

Visit site
Sounds like a character ?

He is, as a copper he survived an attempted murder but was invalided out of the Force so he took himself off to Oxford to study law. Qualified but never practiced, as he then decided to recover a ruin in France. After numerous other adventures, he took up sailing as a means to an end - travel.

I had the privilege of a very enjoyable winter walking season listening to his adventures and philosophies on life.

Then, true to form, he up and left, with no forwarding address. A character, I hopefully will meet up with again.

Unfortunately, he deasn’t participate in the YBW.

Last edited: