UK Sailors And Expats In The EU - Run Up To Friday 29th March 2019 & Beyond?

greeny

Visit site
At last it looks like real information coming from the EU27 about our future options and mostly in a digestable format. Thnks Macd.

nortada

Visit site
UK Sailors & Expats In The EU - Post Brexit.

Just watched Andrew Marr interviewing Andrea Leadsom on Brexit and the impact of leaving on expats.

Anybody else see it❓

Both seemed to get hung up on the UK government defending expats ‘rights’ in EU countries - clearly not possible but they seem to have missed the point that post Brexit (whatever form it may take) individual EU countries are going to permit registered expats to remain in their country under existing arrangements.:confused:

Bit worrying that these public figures are so ignorant of the real world.:(

maxi77

Visit site
Re: UK Sailors & Expats In The EU - Post Brexit.

Just watched Andrew Marr interviewing Andrea Leadsom on Brexit and the impact of leaving on expats.

Anybody else see it❓

Both seemed to get hung up on the UK government defending expats ‘rights’ in EU countries - clearly not possible but they seem to have missed the point that post Brexit (whatever form it may take) individual EU countries are going to permit registered expats to remain in their country under existing arrangements.:confused:

Bit worrying that these public figures are so ignorant of the real world.:(

I seem to remember parliament saying they will treat UK expats as the U treats Portuguese expats. Having seen our Home Office in action since May ran it this a trifle worrying. At least /I got my residentia for 30 euros, not £1100 as it is in the UK

maxi77

Visit site

You didn't once decorate buses, did you?
The fee for the settlement scheme for EU citizens in the UK was £65. Since January it's been £0. Anyone who paid £65 can apply for a rebate.
Just to get some key points settled first I am not an MP, I do not have light coloured hair and I have no attraction to big red buses. Unlike the gentleman you allude to I am happy to admit I have been guilty of believing internet information without confirming it, thank you for putting me right

macd

Visit site

Just to get some key points settled first I am not an MP, I do not have light coloured hair and I have no attraction to big red buses. Unlike the gentleman you allude to I am happy to admit I have been guilty of believing internet information without confirming it, thank you for putting me right

You're welcome, Peter. It wasn't so much to put you right as to allay misinformation. I would never allege that the blonde buffoon had any connection with the Pictish kingdom, save possibly for a regard for your celebrated economist.

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site

If you go through the EU citizens settlement program, you get settled or pre-settled status. This does not grant you permanent right to reside in the UK and it can be revoked in certain circumstances. Residency on the other hand, grants you UK citizenship and a permanent right to reside. This route is extortionately expensive in the UK, running into many thousands of pounds (compared to around €500 for my Geman citizenship) and involves a lawyer to ensure the application is correctly filled out. The danger being that if you make a mistake, and the application is rejected for any reason, you will be expelled from the UK regardless of your current status. E.g. .....

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...mother-katy-garlington-stay-with-family-in-uk
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...t-home-office-expels-her-parents-1702149.html
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-39657447
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ing-deportation-UK-despite-married-local.html

etc. etc. etc....

Six-year-old British-born boy left stranded and 'stateless' after Home Office revokes his passport

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...born-boy-left-stranded-stateless-home-office/

... not to mention Windrush.

Applying to live in the UK permanently is "Hostile" by design. T May made it that way.

Last edited:

macd

Visit site

If you go through the EU citizens settlement program, you get settled or pre-settled status. This does not grant you permanent right to reside in the UK and it can be revoked in certain circumstances. Residency on the other hand, grants you UK citizenship and a permanent right to reside. This route is extortionately expensive in the UK...

Whilst I agree with you wholeheartedly about the thing that's now contrives to wear a euphemism less stark than "hostile environment", you're not exactly comparing like for like. As I understand it, the €30 fee Maxi wrote of is merely for registration of residence, just as is the £0 fee for the UK settlement scheme. Neither guarantees permanent rights and both can be revoked.

Perrycas

Visit site
My apologies if this is not the correct thread, but it sort of looked like it might be. I'm Australian looking at buying a boat within the EU, I have a few options for flagging, but then i saw this 'Dutch light registration'.
https://www.yachtregistration.company/eu-light-registration/
On the face of it, it would seem to be the solution to my flagging/VAT/etc problems. I have been trawling through this forum and had some very good advice/information on this project, so I wonder if anyone knows if they are Kosher? Sort of looks a bit too good to be true.
Thanks
Perry

wwalsh

Visit site
For Non EU citizen to qualify for the dutch light registration it is necessary to set up a UK LTD to own the boat which is easy and cheap. The question is what happens after Brexit? is a UK LTD no longer eligible? Because other alternatives for EU holding company are not cheap.

These light registrations are anyway on the way out.

Interesting is Slovenia registration.

The majority of Australians in Greece i have met have Australian flagged yachts.

Last edited:

Perrycas

Visit site
Thanks for this although i don't understand Grahams comment about 'revert to original'. What original? My understanding is a boat that has been sold in the EU and carries VAT and then flagging it as Australian would loose the VAT within a few years. I am happy to be told that this is not the case. Thanks for the Slovenian lead. I have another way to go perhaps as my wife and son have Hungarian passports, could buy the boat in one of their names. Haven't looked into it yet.