UK Sailors And Expats In The EU - Run Up To Friday 29th March 2019 & Beyond?

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
If you are correct that is wonderful news

If I am correct:confused:

Of course I am correct, unless you are suggesting my post above is lies.:rolleyes::disgust:

And for the record - I try never to speculate - at best pointless and at worst, sends rabbits running in all directions.:cool:

It may be that a renewal does not make that requirement whilst a change of ownership or first registry does?

nortada

Visit site
It may be that a renewal does not make that requirement whilst a change of ownership or first registry does?

Agree.

Possibly but as registration and re-registration are similar, I would think if you send the documents requested from a UK address - not sure how it would be different - don't think they carry out any background checks but we are on the electoral role in the UK.

Perhaps somebody can throw more light on this?

greeny

Visit site
Thread drift? or am i missing something. There's already 65 pages, lets keep it on track.
There may be an affect on ability to SSR after Brexit but I'm not aware of any discussion or statement on this yet so is it relevant to this thread?

nortada

Visit site
Thread drift? or am i missing something. There's already 65 pages, lets keep it on track.
There may be an affect on ability to SSR after Brexit but I'm not aware of any discussion or statement on this yet so is it relevant to this thread?

You’re missing something.:confused:

Renewing SSR is very relevant to Brit sailors overseas now, between now and 29 Mar and when/if it ever happens, post Brexit.

Last edited:

greeny

Visit site
So have I. My point is that British Boaties renewing their SSR over the next few months part of what this thread is about so in no way is it thread drift.

So what's changing / changed with respect to or because of Brexit?
Or am I missing something.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
So what's changing / changed with respect to or because of Brexit?
Or am I missing something.

I don't think you're missing anything and can't understand why SSR renewal should be a worry as it's solely a UK registration system with no EU control. Only snag could be if UK authorities become aware that an individual owner has emigrated.

greeny

Visit site
I don't think you're missing anything and can't understand why SSR renewal should be a worry as it's solely a UK registration system with no EU control. Only snag could be if UK authorities become aware that an individual owner has emigrated.

Agree Graham.
And surely that concern has existed since SSR began. So nothing has changed. Here we are panicking over something that has not changed and is probably not likely to.

nortada

Visit site

Agree that with regard to SSR registration, Brexit would change nothing.

EU countries (including Portugal) would still recognise SSR registration so as you say, any problem could be with getting the UK to renew the registration for non-British national, who doesn’t have a UK address - same as now.

As to relevance in this thread - hopefully it lays another Brexit scare story.

greeny

Visit site
Just had my first tangible proof that Brexit is affecting business in Portugal. Insurance company for my house electrical equipment has just sent me a letter saying my insurer has changed from a UK based to a German company and actually state uncertainty around Brexit as the reason for this. I know its not boaty or liveaboardy but is interesting to see that some companies are reacting to Brexit.

nortada

Visit site
Just had my first tangible proof that Brexit is affecting business in Portugal. Insurance company for my house electrical equipment has just sent me a letter saying my insurer has changed from a UK based to a German company and actually state uncertainty around Brexit as the reason for this. I know its not boaty or liveaboardy but is interesting to see that some companies are reacting to Brexit.

And you accuse me of thread drift.:encouragement:;)

jordanbasset

Visit site

Affected my yacht insurance as well - part of a letter I received from Y Insurance for my renewal moving the underwriting from Lloyds to a Belgium company and also creating a new company registered in France-

'I have created a new company Y Yacht Assurances France EURL which is registered
in Paris and authorized by the French regulator ORIAS. ...
Our underwriters MS Amlin have also taken steps to maintain both UK and EU business
after Brexit irrespective of political decisions. From the 1st January 2019 our All Risks
policies will still be underwritten by MS Amlin but no longer through Lloyd’s but through
their Belgium Company.'

Last edited:

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Agree that with regard to SSR registration, Brexit would change nothing.

EU countries (including Portugal) would still recognise SSR registration so as you say, any problem could be with getting the UK to renew the registration for non-British national, who doesn’t have a UK address - same as now.

As to relevance in this thread - hopefully it lays another Brexit scare story.

If you wish to retain British Registration without a UK address then Pt1 is the way to go.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Yes of course but completing a p1 in a foreign country - not the UK is very expensive because of the haul out and paying a measurer to visit!

Interesting, I wasn't aware a haul out was required. Surveyor turned up when we were on board, didn't bother with length as he said he had documentation from builder to work out length. He did measure bilge to coachroof, possibly beam and a couple of other things. I did ask about draft and he said he was only interested in measuring to the bilge as you couldn't but anything under that. All over in about 30 mins. silly money for the time and level of expertise required. I imagine most people could do the survey when instructed what to measure and no real need to do it again for other boats of same model. Probably a little more time consuming for one-offs and perhaps that would require a lift.

Surveyor pretty much admitted that he was only there to confirm it was the model written on the form and did really exist. I think he could get any measurements from manufacturers drawings and records of sister ship measurements.

I was surprised to discover that Part I registration is NOT proof of ownership. I remember having a search carried out about 33+ years ago to check for a mortgage on our previous boat. That involved travelling to Portsmouth and looking at a big ledger. I did supply a Bill of Sale when registering but discovered that they aren't legally bound to keep track of all mortgages or liens. I believe that there is a legal requirement to declare change of ownership but read that it is very common for owners not to bother.

I was surprised to find the bit about it not being proof of ownership, even the RYA still refer to it as providing proof of title. I dug out the link where the claim was made in an article on International Institute of Marine Surveyors website back in 2014

https://www.iims.org.uk/registration-tonnage-explained/

Last edited: