UK Sailors And Expats In The EU - Run Up To Friday 29th March 2019 & Beyond?

greeny

Visit site
A quick update on registering for temporary residence in Lagoa Portugal. Friends went yesterday with passport, utility bill, fiscal card, waited for 1 1/2 hours , went to the desk and walked out with their residence documents half an hour later. Very easy and quick now. There has been a massive change from when I did it 4 1/2yrs ago, and even from when my wife did hers 2 months ago. Much easier and quicker now.
On the down side, I went into SEF yesterday to arrange my interview to get my next residence document organised as my temporary 5 yr runs out in October. They told me they were not booking any more interviews for residency at the moment as they were overloaded and had no appointments free. Told me to come back in 3 months as mine was still valid.

macd

Visit site
It seems that in the event of a no-deal Brexit, S1 healthcare (and no doubt EHIC cards associated with it) may no longer be underwritten by HMG:

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-nhs-covered-health-care-under-no-deal-brexit

The most pertinent bit of the report:
"The government stated in a little-publicised no-deal technical notice published this week: “An S1 certificate helps you and your dependents access healthcare in the EU/EEA country where you live. If you have an S1 certificate, it will be valid until 29 March 2019. After this date, the certificate may not be valid, depending on decisions by member states.”

Last edited:

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
It seems that in the event of a no-deal Brexit, S1 healthcare (and no doubt EHIC cards associated with it) may no longer be underwritten by HMG:

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-nhs-covered-health-care-under-no-deal-brexit

The most pertinent bit of the report:
"The government stated in a little-publicised no-deal technical notice published this week: “An S1 certificate helps you and your dependents access healthcare in the EU/EEA country where you live. If you have an S1 certificate, it will be valid until 29 March 2019. After this date, the certificate may not be valid, depending on decisions by member states.”

The following is from the UK gov web site for brits in Spain
If the UK leaves the EU without a deal on 29 March 2019, your access to healthcare is likely to change. The NHS has more information about healthcare for UK nationals living in and visiting Spain.

The UK government has or is seeking agreements with countries on healthcare arrangements for UK nationals after 29 March 2019.

Up to 29 March 2019, you should get a free European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) to get emergency medical treatment during temporary stays in EU countries. You also need comprehensive travel insurance to cover anything not covered by your EHIC.

If you plan to visit on or after 29 March 2019, you should continue to buy travel insurance for the health treatment you may need, as you would for a non-EU country. If you have a UK-issued EHIC, it will still be valid until 29 March 2019.

macd

Visit site
Thanks for that, Paw Paw. However, the information I passed on was specifically about S1 cover for UK citizens resident elsewhere in the EU, rather than just EHIC (which is aimed at travellers). I am aware that HMG was pushing through legislation enabling them to fund post-Brexit healthcare for UK citizens abroad, but there's been no news on that for some time.

captmikecoin

Visit site
Thanks for that, Paw Paw. However, the information I passed on was specifically about S1 cover for UK citizens resident elsewhere in the EU, rather than just EHIC (which is aimed at travellers). I am aware that HMG was pushing through legislation enabling them to fund post-Brexit healthcare for UK citizens abroad, but there's been no news on that for some time.
Whilst probably not relevant to you, macd, the Spanish Government has published some reassuring healthcare information for Brits in Spain on http://www.lamoncloa.gob.es/lang/en/brexit/howtoprepare/Paginas/190109socialsecurity.aspx
I suspect other EU governments will have something similar in the pipeline.

nortada

Visit site
The following is from the UK gov web site for brits in Spain
If the UK leaves the EU without a deal on 29 March 2019, your access to healthcare is likely to change. The NHS has more information about healthcare for UK nationals living in and visiting Spain.

The UK government has or is seeking agreements with countries on healthcare arrangements for UK nationals after 29 March 2019.

Up to 29 March 2019, you should get a free European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) to get emergency medical treatment during temporary stays in EU countries. You also need comprehensive travel insurance to cover anything not covered by your EHIC.

If you plan to visit on or after 29 March 2019, you should continue to buy travel insurance for the health treatment you may need, as you would for a non-EU country. If you have a UK-issued EHIC, it will still be valid until 29 March 2019.

True and post Brexit (if it ever happens) and the UK EHIC is withdrawn, if you have registered, possibly you could apply for a Portuguese EHIC for use when travelling in other EU countries?

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
True and post Brexit (if it ever happens) and the UK EHIC is withdrawn, if you have registered, possibly you could apply for a Portuguese EHIC for use when travelling in other EU countries?

Fortunately, when taking up residence, we can register in the health care system so S1 doesn't matter for many here who are also still in the UK system. We already have Portuguese EHIC to cover healthcare in other States if the UK one is withdrawn.

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
Further news (to that in post #663) regarding healthcare for UK pensioners resident in the EU27:
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ll-on-may-to-secure-healthcare-for-pensioners
(Includes specific arrangements for Spain and France, more general ones elsewhere.)

my residency in Spain give me a Spanish Health card and I cannot see that would change. This card is good only for Spain. For all other EU countries my UK health card covers me but that of course will change with a no deal Brexit but of course I can take out travel insurance for the rest (not Spanish) EU and use my card + UK passport in the UK.

Graham376

Visit site
my residency in Spain give me a Spanish Health card and I cannot see that would change. This card is good only for Spain. For all other EU countries my UK health card covers me but that of course will change with a no deal Brexit but of course I can take out travel insurance for the rest (not Spanish) EU and use my card + UK passport in the UK.

You should be able to get an EHIC issued by Spain which would cover you in the rest of EU.

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
You should be able to get an EHIC issued by Spain which would cover you in the rest of EU.

Not sure that is how it works--- My present EHIC card is issued by the UK and is for all countries except Spain. Which is covered by the Spanish health service residents card TSI. I am confident that the TSI will be valid whatever happens but the EHIC will possibly not be valid

macd

Visit site

It's clear from earlier posts that EHIC measures in Iberia are a little anomalous. However, to be eligible for a UK EHIC card, the applicant must be normally resident in the UK. So UK pensioners (and others) resident in other EU countries are not eligible, except after a successful S1 application and healthcare registration in the new country of residence. This is the situation as it applies now.

(UK expat workers, of course, may be EHIC-eligible on the basis of national insurance contributions in their new country, just as EU27 workers in the UK can become eligible for a UK issued EHIC. Interestingly, such EU27 workers will continue to be eligible until 31.12.20, even in the event of a no-deal Brexit. One assumes the reciprocal would be true.).

davethedog

Visit site
I am keeping everything I have crossed that this Brexit debacle does not scupper mine and the wifes (and the dogs) plans for retiring mid this year and cruising the Med. For us, no brexit would be so . so so much better!!!

Graham376

Visit site
It's clear from earlier posts that EHIC measures in Iberia are a little anomalous. However, to be eligible for a UK EHIC card, the applicant must be normally resident in the UK. So UK pensioners (and others) resident in other EU countries are not eligible, except after a successful S1 application and healthcare registration in the new country of residence. This is the situation as it applies now.

(UK expat workers, of course, may be EHIC-eligible on the basis of national insurance contributions in their new country, just as EU27 workers in the UK can become eligible for a UK issued EHIC. Interestingly, such EU27 workers will continue to be eligible until 31.12.20, even in the event of a no-deal Brexit. One assumes the reciprocal would be true.).

I have dual residence. As a UK resident and tax payer, I am in the UK health system and have a UK EHIC. Having permanent resident status in Portugal, I am also in the Portuguese health system and have an EHIC issued by Portugal. No need to have worked here or have S1 or make contributions to get health cover. Obviously, both EHIC cards can't be used at the same time, the Portuguese one is just my backup for other countries in case the UK drops out.

Fíréan

Visit site
Ahoy there,
New member registered today and though here for the sailing subject matter i came across this thread whilst browsing whilst I was looking at the 'Liveaboard Link".

As a Brit living long time in the Netherlands (Nederlands) I am happy to share any information which might be helpful and relevant to the thread.

Thank You all from me for the extensive information on Portugal within this thread. All good information expands ones possibilities, and a move to Portugal had been suggested to me previous.

Here is al ink to a copy of letter sent out and received last month, january, for all UK. residents in the Netherlands. The link is to a Dutch government website ( doc. in english language)
https://ind.nl/Documents/IND%20Informatiebrief%20Brexit%20geen%20vergunning%20vva_vvr_onbep.pdf

and a link the to which the Dutch government website directed us last year :
https://ec.europa.eu/commission/publications/questions-and-answers-rights-eu-and-uk-citizens-outlined-withdrawal-agreement_en

The are a couple of RYA sailing schools here in the Netherlands and I have yet to inquire as to any change after the March date of RYA certificates issued to course graduates, or iIF any other changes.

As to live aboard resident status, here in the Netherlands, I'm out to look up on that subject. As a change from brick and mortar to a mobile marine residence has been a consideration for some time now. Will share information acquired in the near future.

Just to add ; a news item last week stated that some Dutch politicians are considering dual nationality for Brits ( already long term resident, i believe) as an option too.
This would allow transition within the EU on the Dutch passport where as long term visa only allows visa residence in NL and not visa free travel etc.( to the best of my knowledge).

Will up date as and when able.

Thank You again, for allowing me into Your forum.
Now i need to get on to the sailing threads.

Bryan